PDA

View Full Version : Dropped my bike

Felix Da Cat
09-25-2004, 07:56 AM
Hey guys,

Well, it happens to us all at one time or another, so it was my turn. I highsided the factory leaving work after working all night.

Not sure exactly what went wrong, but I remember the rear slipping out and then I was on the floor. According to an eyewitness he said I swerved a couple of times in both directions before smacking the tarmac hard.

The bike is a bit grazed on the right, RHS mirror broken off the base, RHS handle bar bent, front brake lever snapped, rear brake lever snapped, footpeg bent, right can trashed and cracked rear cowl.

I'm pretty much okay, a bit battered and bruised, but luckily I was going slow, as I had just pulled off from a stop sign doing a right turn. My kit saved me a lot of pain, so no road rash or missing bits.

Time for bastard repairs to start :mad:

Shit happens :rolleyes:

Dr. Thrillride
09-25-2004, 09:23 AM
Damn Felix, sorry to hear about your get off and glad you're okay. I have a right hand footpeg you can have for nadda. PM me if you want it. Take care!

mossback
09-25-2004, 11:58 AM
Sorry to hear this Felix, hope you get it all back together soon.

Glad your doing ok and no broken bits on you.

Arnie
09-25-2004, 08:56 PM
Sorry to hear that Felix. Glad you're okay. The bike can always be repaired.

Don't feel bad, I tipped mine over in the parking lot with me on board nonetheless. My factory was still brand new at the time.

Felix Da Cat
09-25-2004, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the well wishes guys. Much appreciated.

The best of this part of this situation is the "No Broken Bones" thing. A highside is usually a painfull experience, so I am grateful.

It is sad so to see the bike full of scars and broken bits. I had just done a track day on Sunday, and after 310km on the track without any close calls I do this on the street - a shame really.

Doc, I have PM'ed you about the footpeg. Your offer is much appreciated as the spares availability here is a bit of a problem at the moment as the Aprilia agency in South Africa has changed hands recently and I'm not even sure if it has been finalized.

Here are some pics of the damage:

http://myalbum.mweb.co.za/uploaded/5b3a515a-587e-11d4-b418-0008c791f55a/raw/8e5e214b12b84596b59c6440307b5372_sized_-_dcp03013.jpg
http://myalbum.mweb.co.za/uploaded/5b3a515a-587e-11d4-b418-0008c791f55a/raw/477d1b2da7c645feba86d620fdc034ca_sized_-_dcp03015.jpg
http://myalbum.mweb.co.za/uploaded/5b3a515a-587e-11d4-b418-0008c791f55a/raw/889d86affd04486bbdf163cbd85822b7_sized_-_dcp03016.jpg
http://myalbum.mweb.co.za/uploaded/5b3a515a-587e-11d4-b418-0008c791f55a/raw/5b3e986892f54dc0bd836ffb44a1a4b1_sized_-_dcp03019.jpg

Dr. Thrillride
09-26-2004, 01:09 AM
yikes, carnage. Sad to see your baby in such shape. got your PM, just send me your address and I'll have the girls send the peg via express post on Monday.

Take Care!

vtrandall
09-26-2004, 01:46 AM
As long as you didn't get to badly hurt....
especially with a high side...yikes.

And just having done a crash free track day....that reminds me...I lowsided my superhawk a couple of years ago when I hit some gravel, no big deal I scratched up my right knee just a little (wearing jeans)
I'm thinkin' "cool no damage and the bike is ok"
About a week after I lowsided, I slipped on a wet ramp in front of my house and tore my quad muscle/tendon in my right knee. Got a nice 6 inch surgery scar there now.

So, if it's raining there, don't carry any ladders back out to the garage for at least
2 weeks.

Felix Da Cat
09-26-2004, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Thrillride
yikes, carnage. Sad to see your baby in such shape. got your PM, just send me your address and I'll have the girls send the peg via express post on Monday.

Take Care!

Thanks Mate. I did reply to your email.

Felix Da Cat
09-26-2004, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Millemizer
Felix, Very sorry about your spill! It's more important that you're OK though!
Got a set of brand new stock cans that it looks like you're going to need!
I only want $200. US. I'm sure shipping to So. Africa would be exorbitant, but still probably a lot cheaper than buying new!
Let me know if you're interested? I only had the stockers on my bike about 200 miles before I put the Ti cans on!

Thanks Chris. I may take you up on your offer. It's a great deal and tackling the shipping won't be a major problem, I've done this numerous times.

I'll let you know what's the deal as soon as I have sorted everything out with my insurance company. I'll be calling them again early tomorrow morning so thay can inspect the bike. I would like to give them cheaper options, so I will let them know this.

Please don't get banned again, or at least PM me your email address before it happens :D

Take it easy,
Felix

Felix Da Cat
09-26-2004, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by vtrandall
As long as you didn't get to badly hurt....
especially with a high side...yikes.

And just having done a crash free track day....that reminds me...I lowsided my superhawk a couple of years ago when I hit some gravel, no big deal I scratched up my right knee just a little (wearing jeans)
I'm thinkin' "cool no damage and the bike is ok"
About a week after I lowsided, I slipped on a wet ramp in front of my house and tore my quad muscle/tendon in my right knee. Got a nice 6 inch surgery scar there now.

So, if it's raining there, don't carry any ladders back out to the garage for at least
2 weeks.

Shit Randall, when you do it, you do it properly, or at least keep trying :D :D - CC is that you?? :happy:

Must have been a bitch to walk for quite some time, considering the knees support most of the body weight. Did they pin the muscle?

I must admit that I came off lightly, but the bruises on both elbows tell part of the story. Nevertheless, I'm ready to ride. I may just start on the Busa motor just so that I can ride. I've been putting it off since I got the Mille, but I think the time is right. It's only a couple of days and already it's bugging me that I can't ride :rolleyes:

grumpyduck
09-28-2004, 02:59 AM
:plus: my commiserations on the damage to your baby...

On the bright side....if the insurance pays out you could try fot the new '05 colour scheme.

RZRob
09-28-2004, 09:27 AM
Bummer about the bike drop. I actually dropped mine doing something really dumb (stalled it and didn't put feet down fast enough). Side panel's remarkably affordable, as is the front brake lever - all things considered. Sounds like others are pitching in to help out (great bunch of people).

Yeah, just consider how much worse it could be.

Rob

scott2ride
09-28-2004, 03:34 PM
That sucks sooo bad. But blessed be the man whom invented insurance!!!

SEAN
09-29-2004, 09:17 AM
sorry to hear of your 'off', glad you're unhurt, bike'll repair soon enough, along with pride. was knocked off mine in April.

i'm sure you'll not need my help but i have a right clip on & bar end, mirror, carbon handguard, pegs, right can & lower fairing, but no levers, but can get a no. of a guy that has.
(they may be too pricey as in uk & have my outlay to recover)

the lower panel is off my silver factory and only has a scratch on the top orange sticker, the bar & some other bits are off a new bike that was used in the rsv challenge.

my bike was written off & I repaired it in black at first, now it is back in silver, so i have a full set of black factory bodywork too including all lights & fairing carbon & cans, tank with pump & pegs etc.
(if anyone else is searching for new stuff)

again the main thing is that ur ok.

scurnyn
09-29-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Felix Da Cat
I highsided the factory leaving work after working all night.

I too must work all night sometimes... I REALLY do not look forward to the ride home after said all-nighter. Freaks me out to be so out of it while on the bike.

Lucky what happened is all that happened. Stay safe and do what you can to not have to ride after a brain fry all nighter again!

Felix Da Cat
10-02-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by SEAN

i'm sure you'll not need my help but i have a right clip on & bar end, mirror, carbon handguard, pegs, right can & lower fairing, but no levers, but can get a no. of a guy that has.
(they may be too pricey as in uk & have my outlay to recover)

Sean, thanks for the offers. Much appreciated. It will be a while before I get her back on the road, but I will ride her, even if it's with duct tape all over.

Felix Da Cat
10-02-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by scurnyn
I too must work all night sometimes... I REALLY do not look forward to the ride home after said all-nighter. Freaks me out to be so out of it while on the bike.

Lucky what happened is all that happened. Stay safe and do what you can to not have to ride after a brain fry all nighter again!

I've had worse days and survived them. I usually handle them pretty well, even when I put in 40+ continuous hours. Been doing it for 7 years now without a problem.

It was just one of those things, shit happens. Oh well ...

Take it easy on your side too. Thanks for the kind thoughts.