PDA

View Full Version : winter storage

hakan_olsson
09-24-2004, 05:03 PM
The bike is on rest, until april 05 or so. What can I do? I'm thinking about the first start up in 7 months. How about dry cylinder walls, cams etc. Should I lubricate before firing it up?

Any tips?

Thanks

http://hem.bredband.net/b112293/moppe/hemma.jpg

thano
09-24-2004, 07:42 PM
First step is to move to Florida? Second is keep on riden!

phi311
09-25-2004, 02:02 PM
I WISH I COULD PARK MY BIKE IN MY HOUSE!!! Suddenly the garage just isn't good enough!

staynumz
09-25-2004, 02:09 PM
damn..........winter storage?............whats that?

ckruzel
09-25-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by staynumz

easy for you to say, i say the same thing, but live in the northeast, i ride unless there is snow on the ground, bike gets parked in the parking lot all winter through rain snow or shine

hakan_olsson
09-25-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Millemizer
Probably the most important thing is to put some fuel stabilizer in the tank & run it thoroughly through the injectors!
There's also commercial "foggers" you can spray in the spark plug holes to keep the top end lubed. And of course, a Battery Tender is a must! In the spring, pull the plug wires and crank it for a while to get the oil pressure up before letting it fire.

Thanks for the advice. I will do. What are those "foggers"? Oil pray, spraying wide, to reach everywhere? (like spray in general)

/h

hakan_olsson
09-25-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by staynumz

These guys ask the same :D

http://www.iceroadracing.net/galleripoe/galleri_poe.htm

Merto
09-26-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by hakan_olsson
Thanks for the advice. I will do. What are those "foggers"? Oil pray, spraying wide, to reach everywhere? (like spray in general)

/h

Can you not just wheel it outside to run it up to temp and slosh the fuel around in the tank once every couple of weeks? That way you dont need to do anything special at all. Dont forget to work the brakes and clutch occasionally to make sure they dont stick.

alice
09-27-2004, 09:15 AM
errrm advice you say - hows about changing the wallpaper and getting a few tasty chick pics up on the wall ??

Merto
09-27-2004, 10:29 AM
Gasoline "varnishes up" after about 30 days!
Long ago, I made the mistake of shutting the fuel off on my FZ 600, letting the motor run until it died, then removed the float bowls and drained the Carbs.
6 months later, the thing wouldn't run! Had to clean & rebuild all 4 Carbs! Seems the gas had leaked past the tank valve, filled the Carbs again and gunked them all up! That was 15 years ago.
I now use "Stabil" fuel stabilizer if I'm letting any motor sit for more than a month. I do this EVERY year with several vehicles, as I spend the winter months in FL & summers in NJ. I haven't had a problem yet!!!

I have never used a fuel stabiliser. Does the fuel have to be changed later or is it safe to run with the stabiliser? Is it ok in the plastic tanks?

I have run the motor dry for storage before although I emptied the tank too so never had the leakage (or any other) problem.

Also have to think about the oil. If the motor isnt going to be run for extended periods, it may be beneficial to change oil before storage.

IS RSVR
09-27-2004, 10:50 AM
Winterize Your Bike (http://mototuneusa.com/winterized_!.htm)

fredy
09-27-2004, 04:46 PM
Hakan, i agree with Merto, but Millemizer tip's are the best for you to take, since you could go away on vacations or so, and could not run the bike at all.

Where did you get that back stand??

:eek:

fredy
09-27-2004, 04:48 PM
And what are those cans fitted on your bike?

Aprilia's Titanium??

Felix Da Cat
09-27-2004, 05:03 PM
A Busa with spiked tires??? You Swedes are as crazy as the Kiwis!
Right out of "Mad Max"!!!!

I haven't checked the site in a long time, but make sure you check out the videos of them racing on the ice. Bloody amazing, especially the wheelies on ice.

My advice on winter storage: Move to Africa and ride all year round ;)

tazmwl
12-01-2005, 09:59 PM
My RSV is stored outside under a bike cover and on a track stand. I plan on riding it when the weather allows (dry, 50 degrees F and sunny). Is there any special considerations for storing in outside when it may only be ridden once or twice a month in the winter. I think it may even sit February and March.

I rode it yesterday, about 32 degrees and it seemed to take an extra kick to start, took awhile to warm up and cooled down quickly. I begin to wonder about the battery, but it started every time. The tires don't grip to well when it is this cold.

Any suggestions are appreciated

VR-8
12-02-2005, 02:02 AM
http://www.sporthoj.com/gallery/uploaded/12556/_dsc0110vinterfrvaring.jpg

WyoRidr
12-02-2005, 03:22 AM
:plus: Bike inside!!!!!Awsome.Winter????Storage?????Ride it when it's nice enough!!!!And roads are safe. :peace: