PDA

View Full Version : control/dash pod swap out

vtrandall
09-21-2004, 11:54 PM
So I apparently have a bad dash (low fuel warning light won't go out)
A replacement is on order, the mileage shown is going to be wiped back to zero.
Now this will be good if I want to sell the bike...but that would be bad karma.

Tampering with mileage on a vehicle is a big 'no-no' (illegal) but does anyone know if it is possible to re-program the correct mileage onto the bike. Is the mileage stored in the ECU or the dash ?
Will I have to do math everytime I want to figure out total mileage? ....not that it is a problem, more of an annoyance.

radduc
09-22-2004, 10:25 PM
I have the same problem and are awaiting a new dash,have no idea if they can put the real miles back on the bike

HixX
09-23-2004, 02:31 AM
I asked when I had mine done and was told "no" by the dealer. Saved me 750 miles :)

PAID BY FORD
09-23-2004, 06:58 PM
hey guys i find it extremely difficult to believe that they cannot set mileage to what was on your previous odometer. in fact, they either have to provide you with a sticker to be put on the bikes frame, documentation stating the additional mileage or the new odometer has to have the previous mileage added when installed on the bike. i work for ford motor company and although i am not in that retail end of the business (service parts ) i am totally aware of federal odometer laws and trust me, it is imperative that it is documented. a motor vehicle that is a known "T.M.U." machine takes a serious value hit. so protect your self!! get the documentation.
P.S. T.M.U. stands for True Mileage Uknown. ask a dealer what he would give you for your bike if the mileage could not be verified on trade in. he would give you shit.

ken zeller
09-23-2004, 07:15 PM
the dash does not store the mileage, the ecu does. when you replace the dash, the new one should just plug in and show your current mileage.

vtrandall
09-23-2004, 08:16 PM
Ken,
Thanks for the info regarding the dash pod.
I have heard that from "someone" that the dash would zero out itself. That struck me as being odd AND a big legal problem.
What would prevent me from just buying a new dash on my 25K bike and selling as new??
I guess I will find out when I get the dash installed.

cman6453
09-23-2004, 08:23 PM
I also read somewhere on this forum that disconnecting the battery will zero out the odometer. Is that true Ken?

mossback
09-23-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by cman6453
I also read somewhere on this forum that disconnecting the battery will zero out the odometer. Is that true Ken?

No. Not true. The ECU uses "flash memory" which is not voltage dependent to hold data. Just like the chips the older bikes used, you could reprogram them which requires that you take them out and "flash" them.

radduc
09-23-2004, 09:40 PM
Actually it is true!! When I purchased my bike used from a FL dealer it had 1,200 miles on it.The battery was disconnected for 4 days during shipping.When I reconnected it the millage was 0 as well as the rev limmiter were set to 6,000 lmt the break-in period,This will happen again if it is disconnected for more than 3 days.There is a flay in the system.I am still working with Aprilia and my dealer to get this corrected.I will keep you guy's posted

vtrandall
09-23-2004, 10:15 PM
It sounds like the power drains out of the ECU after a few days resetting the dash to the default settings.
Kinda like if I don't put new batteries into my palm pilot in time, I lose all the data in there and have to re-update it from the backup on my pc? (it's an older palm)
Now would this set the fuel map back to it's stock map? Does the ECU need to be re-flashed with map 2 (open map)?

radduc
09-23-2004, 10:36 PM
That I don't know.I have had my map updated and have never left my battery off since,but that's a good question

vtrandall
09-29-2004, 11:45 AM
I just got a call from my dealer.
The dash-pod was swapped out and guess what...mileage "0"

Now this isn't a "huge" issue, very annoying, yes, but it kinda bugs me that this can occur. Odometer readings should taken pretty seriously.

The ccolant temp sensor was also swapped out. I won't be able to get the bike for a day or 2 so I haven't had a chance to take the bike for a test ride.

radduc
09-29-2004, 12:36 PM
Don't forget to write down the millage that was on the bike when you brought it in so you can keep track of the service intervals

cman6453
09-29-2004, 01:26 PM
How do you respond to the 0 reset Moss? :happy:

mossback
09-29-2004, 04:38 PM
I don't have anything to say other than disconnecting my battery has not zero'd my milage. Must be more to the system than flash memory, if you leave your lights on you can loose your MAP2 and you milage?

Does this sound good to you?

PAID BY FORD
09-29-2004, 06:20 PM
guys like i said, get some type of documentation that the dealer changed odometers because like i said if it is considered "true mileage unknown" you will take a serious hit in value. Just ask

radduc
09-29-2004, 06:33 PM
All you have to do is have your dealer write a letter stating that @ time of change odormeter read bla bla.And as far as the millage going back to 0 mine onlt did it after 3 days with the battery disconnected