PDA

View Full Version : 04 Factory Overheating

AdamT
09-19-2004, 07:09 PM
I have an 04 RSV Factory, with just under 7000km's on the clock. I went for a 300km ride through the Yarra Ranges with some friends on our Aprilias yesterday. It was a sunny spring day here in Melbourne, air temperature of about 18 degrees.

On the way home I noticed the engine temperature getting progressively warmer, at 110 degrees C, the red exclamation mark warning light came on, then at 117 degrees C as I tried to pull over the engine cut out. I assume this is to protect the engine.

I stopped and let the bike cool down for 20 minutes then continued home, the bike was sitting at 103 degrees while running, but as soon as I stopped at traffic lights the temperature crept back up over 115 degrees C.

Have any of the Factory owners out there had a similar problem?

When I got home I took off the fairing, and all hoses to/from the radiators are fine and there is plenty of water in the water container.

I had no problems with the Factory overheating when I was riding it during our summer in temperatures over 30 degrees C.

Adam

scott2ride
09-19-2004, 07:45 PM
The bike is now totally toast. I wouldnt ride it again.

But I'll do you a favour and take it off your hands for say.... oh.... $1,000 :D

Other than that I cant offer any suggestions....

Rutan
09-19-2004, 08:15 PM
My R overheated only once, and the only thing anyone could figure was that there was an air bubble in the line.

Marcus

yobbo
09-19-2004, 08:36 PM
Hi Adam:

I was out yesterday around the Yarra Ranges as well for about 3hrs. Sat at around 4-6K RPM most of the time, with many short bursts up to 9K RPM ...and temp never got above mid 80C, and when at the lights or in traffic on the way home never got above 98C.

8k on the clock.

So far have never got it over 100C under any riding conditions but have never ridden in temp' above 20C.

cheers

AdamT
09-19-2004, 08:48 PM
Thanks Yobbo ... it's a shame we did not see you ... there were 4 of the Melbourne Aprilia Club out for an impromptu ride!

thrillaprilla
09-19-2004, 08:59 PM
Air is the likely culprit. Try bleeding it with the motor running.
I did water flow delopment work on race motors in the eighties (indy and imsa cars) and it is amazing how much a small amount of air can do to decrease flow and cooling efficiency. Many race motors use orficed air-bleed lines at high points in the cooling system. All we can do is fill the system while the motor is running and crack the bleeders loose on the top of the radiator.
So far this has worked for me and I commute thirty miles in stop and go traffic using water wetter. It's still a nut roaster though...

AldnEnrqz
09-19-2004, 10:57 PM
Check you radiator fans and make sure they are working. Earlier this summer my one of my fans stopped working and I was riding in Miami at that time and it overheated once with one working fan, however I rode after that in hot weather and it was fine. Once I got back to NY, I had the fan fixed. It was under warranty, I didn't pay anything, just a tip to my mechanic at MAXIMUM MOTORSPORTS in River Head, NY Long Island.

vtrandall
09-19-2004, 11:21 PM
Adam
I sent you a PM