PDA

View Full Version : The best rearsets yet

Gr8wheels
09-17-2004, 12:44 PM
Due to a 110 mph get off at the track,my right leg is now 3/4" shorter and the range of motion is about 50% @ the ankle. I have been searching for rearsets with alot of adjustment and I came across these Cycle cat beauties on the web, www.cyclecat.com -- they are more money than the ones available here but they include adjustable levers and heel guards, so it could be justified (the price) but the range of adjustment is several times that of any I've seen.
Does anybody have experiance with these or the firm? I'm pretty well sold on them because they can be adapted to my crooked posture and adjusted as my condition hopefully improves.
I'm giong to try to post pictures but I'm not very good at that so if they don't show up maybe someone can do it for us.
Thanks

Gr8wheels
09-17-2004, 01:00 PM
another picture

Luigi
09-17-2004, 05:56 PM
I have no experience with the Cyclecats. I have the Acculigns that AF1 sells. From the Cyclecat picture I see 9 positions of circular adjustment and 3 positions of shaft adjustment. How this equates to 72 isn't obvious to me.

The eccentric cam system of the Acculigns offers very precise foot placement because the foot pegs can be rotated a full 360 degrees in approximately 1 degree increments versus 40 degree increments shown for the Cyclecats. Gross front to back placement may be slightly better on the Cyclecats but not by much.

As you stated, the Acculigns don't come with levers. The Acculigns do have very nice heelguards, however. The workmanship on the Acculigns is superb.

cornercarver
09-18-2004, 06:32 PM
I don't know about you guys, but my acculign heel guards may look nice, but they are seriously weak. At the bottom, they get very thin where they bend, and my heels are easily able to bend the heel guards slightly inwards through use. This prevents removal of the heelguards (necessary to make adjustments), because the screws can't come up without contacting the bent heel guard. Straightening the heel guard inevitably breaks it, or weakens it so much that it breaks in a week or two. I've been through a number of guards. You'd never notice it until you try to adjust the pegs position. The acculign guys happily supplied me with a number of spares for free when I called up to tell them about the problem, but that doesn't exactly fix it.

--sam

Luigi
09-18-2004, 06:44 PM
Cornercarver-
Haven't noticed any bending of the heelguard yet. I have a small size 8 foot so I may not be putting much stress on the heelguard in everyday riding.

Thanks for the heads up.

hank
09-18-2004, 09:30 PM
I have a buddy who has the Cycle Cat rear sets on his Bostrom Replica Duc & he raves about them. I inspected them and they are indeed nicely done. I would still rate the Sato rear sets as top of the heap......

grabdawg
09-20-2004, 02:59 PM
Do you have any idea just how much lower you can place the Cyclecats than stock? That's the only gripe I have with the Tuono, as the pegs are just too tight for my old legs, and a couple of inches of extra leg room would be great!

Gr8wheels
09-21-2004, 07:39 PM
grabdog, I think the rotation of the sets would at least yeild the 2" your looking for(my judgement call from the website info.).The issue about these sets I need to resolve for my particular need is, how to get the brake pedal down the 2" to match up with the lowered peg as my handicap limits the flexing of my ankle . I don't see any adjustment on the brake light switch and I've padded the stock pedal with a stick-on wheel weight that yeilds about a 1/2" lower pedal at rest position. I think I can fabricate something to adapt it ,but I don't see any of the manufacturerers addressing this issue. I love this bike enough that I'm doing stretching exercises along with my physical therapy to get me more comfortable on the stock pegs while I'm figuring out which rearsets to install.

Born2Ride
09-23-2004, 06:47 AM
Sato on my bike :banana:

Harry H
09-23-2004, 08:10 AM
Don't know if it helps but I was chatting to someone once who recond that fitting the foot rests off a Buel would solve the problem as they are stepped from the fitting point to the actual foot rest. It's not a problem for me so I've never checked it out properly though.

Could save a few bob though.

grabdawg
10-06-2004, 03:31 PM
I went ahead and ordered the Cyclecats for my Tuono in black, and they work as advertised. The only problem is as you mentioned on the brake side, where you can't lower the brake lever to set the pegs as low as they will go. I've got a call in to Cyclecat to ask them about this, but I don't see any way to lower it myself. I want the peg at the 7 o'clock position, and am only able to lower it to 9 o'clock because of the brake lever position. On the left side, no problem, as you can adjust the shift lever accordingly. I got a full 3" of extra leg room on that side,l with only 2" on the right, and they just don't look right being uneven like that. I'm probably the only person that would notice it, and it is a definite improvement, leg room wise! Very high quality product, looks great on the Tuono in black!

Gr8wheels
10-06-2004, 04:32 PM
Thanks Grabdawg for the update

After some considerable thought I decided to get the TCM's from AF1. The brake lever issue is helped by the offset pedal they include with their rearsets. You can order it alone on this site and it is about 3/4" lower. I found the limiting factor to be the location of the shotgun exhaust--- the lower the pegs the less room you have for your heel. The Cyclecats are probably as pretty as the picture but I chickened out on the price.
I was able to lower the brake lever by shortening the master cylinder push rod 1/4 " and extending the threads about 1/2", of course to get the "at rest" position correct you must pad the flange that sits against the stop light switch or perhaps drill and tap a hole in the flange for a small bolt to make the "at rest" position adjustable. Try the toe piece from TCM first --- good luck