PDA

View Full Version : Dont look for an Aprilia in the Superstock class in 2005

clarkie49
09-17-2004, 11:20 AM
The AMA, in all their wisdom has decided that for 2005 there will not be any 1000cc v-twins elligible for the Superstock class. with Aprilia's Superstock success in various parts of Europe and Ducati's new 999R i am surprised that they dont let the twins compete.

Will they win? no, but it would be nice to see them on the grid

hank
09-17-2004, 11:33 AM
The AMA - a fine division of Honda....

Steve / AF1 Racing
09-17-2004, 01:16 PM
That really stinks. I mean, unless Aprilia can pull some huge sponsorship money out of no where, they wouldn't have a chance in hell of being competitive in AMA's SBK division.

I was sure that somebody would eventually come up with the capital to make at least a superstock effort a go.

Thumbs down AMA.
-Steve

billerzal
09-17-2004, 03:23 PM
...and it's somehow OK to run a 1300cc Buell in FX?!!

hank
09-17-2004, 03:46 PM
This is America and Buell (HD) is as American as Apple Pie!

Jet City Racer
09-18-2004, 09:54 PM
IMHO the rule should just say "multiple cylinder engines up to 1000cc are eligible"

I could see it when Superstock ran 750s, but since the ricegrinders are 1000cc now the twins are at a disadvantage, so why not let them compete?

The way this season went for me, I don't have enough points anyway. :(

Clarkie, is there a way to petition the AMA to consider twins for 2006?

Scooter
09-20-2004, 11:15 AM
I spoke to Rob King with the AMA after being given his info by Clarkie and found this out last week. I was highly disappointed.

My concerns with Rob in our discussion: (this might answer some ?'s)

1. Twins are absolutely not in Superstock for 05. There is no way to petition this. The rule revisions for 05 are already submitted and cannot be added to. They are currently being reviewed for implementation in the rulebook. There is no petition or anyone else to voice complaints to. It is a done deal.

2. Okay, so it is SBK or nothing for twins. So- is there any waiver for the SBK license or do you still have to complete and gain points in the other classes (ie superstock) to gain an SBK license?

there is no waiver. no consideration. even if you can show them transponder times from tracks you have ridden at in which you were within SBK qualifying times, etc is does not matter. 400 points from expert races at club/fusa level it does not matter.

So- unless you already have a hard card with results under your belt, you cant get a SBK license. This has just destroyed my hopes of doing an AMA event or 2 in 2005. :mad:

The twins are simply screwed for 05- especially for privateers. I am glad Honda/Yam/Suz have that much influence over at the AMA. :rolleyes:

So, if you are like me you have few options. Go FUSA racing. Get a 600 and build up points to upgrade your AMA Pro license to SBK status and then whip out the Mille in the SBK class to get smoked. Stay at club level and aim for some championships. Or worse yet, switch to a 600 permanently, build it up for the FX class, and go have fun in the AMA events.

Scooter
09-20-2004, 11:19 AM
OK- I mis read JetCity- yes, we probably could petition for 2006. But it would probably help more if we got Aprilia USA to call, in addition to KTM (they should have theirs ready in 06) and Ducati.

I plan on bugging AMA on a regular basis in 05.

OMRRA#7
09-20-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Scooter
OK- I mis read JetCity- yes, we probably could petition for 2006. But it would probably help more if we got Aprilia USA to call, in addition to KTM (they should have theirs ready in 06) and Ducati.

I plan on bugging AMA on a regular basis in 05.

There are other options.

Ignore the AMA entirely. They really aren't the only profesional motorcycle racing org in the US. I, like many other club racers, have come to hold no regard whatso ever for AMA racing. I race with AMA privateers all the time, and while they are good, they aren't all that and a bag of chips, and the AMA program is total SHITE.

Write Road Racing world. The more people who write, the more exposure to the crap the AMA Pro Racing is pulling.

Scooter
09-20-2004, 04:00 PM
Those are good points. AMA racing does seem to be a little funding and support dependant. It is an eye opener to see 140 Horse FX 600's pulling away from you on a long straight after an equal drive out of corner.

I just see the guys I race with running a few AMA events placing in the teens and I know I could qualify for SStock events if I were legal. I would just love to tag along and experience it.

RRW is a decent idea, but Mr. Ulrich loves the AMA. I could see a mention in RRW about twins being forgotten, however. FUSA is looking pretty good about now.

You mean Montez Stewart isnt the unbeatable God I have been lead to believe? There is no way I could even beat his lap times ;)

Aprilia94
09-24-2004, 11:43 AM
Mr. Ulrich doesn't "love" the AMA you can be sure. His team competes in it, that's it. He's all business. He became a board member of the ProRacing division (or whatever his title is/was) simply to try and help with all of their problems...not because he loves them, but because he knows they're shite and doesn't want to see racers die crashing. He's a guy I would never "speak for", so don't take my opinion wrong...but I know him just enough to think I'm pretty sure he doesn't "love" the AMA. If he thinks something is dead wrong, he'll have no problem going head to head with them.

Scooter
09-24-2004, 02:01 PM
That is interesting to know, Les.

I have only met him but not really talked with him. I just guessed because of the racing/board member thing.

cuda
09-27-2004, 01:48 PM
They don't let the twins in because they can't compete and they are trying to weed out slow riders, which is one of the AMA's biggest problems right now. I race a Mille, so I am not crackin on the bike, but in SS trim none of the twins are even close. They won't let a 750 in superbike even if you set pole on it, and if they didn't make that change for Superstock in 05, they will soon enough. As to FX, that is a new class they were trying to see what happened.

Scooter
09-27-2004, 03:26 PM
I have heard this argument, too. In my opinion if they want to "weed out" slower riders- make the playing field more even (ie HP cutoff for "stock" type events). I would take a bone stock R1/Gsx-r/etc on in true SS form. People are mistaken if they think that no cheating is going on in the SS class where there are 175 horse bikes on the grid. If they allowed twins a few advantages like throttle bodies or valve train mods to bring it on par things would be better.

True- a stock Mille is not much of a match against a factory built SS machine, and in SBK it would take some serious cash flow.

The slower riders are being lapped in the final stages of the AMA races. If a built/factory bike is worth 2 seconds a lap over a true (read:poor) privateer's stock bike then it means he is close to getting lapped during a race by bike merit alone. So I disagree that the AMA should crack down on slower riders. Those guys are pushing truly stock bikes to a limit. Dont make AMA racing a sport for the rich by cracking down on truly stock bikes and forcing riders to possess a ripping bike. Spot checking Factory teams bikes should be mandatory.

I just want an opportnity to get out there. Merely an opportunity. Yes, I would come in 19th-21st/etc. Would I get lapped? Maybe. Could I put an Aprilia on the TV during an AMA event and live out a dream- certainly. As a privateer with a small budget- that is what it is about.

I think the qualifying system is fair. Lapped riders come into play at every cycling event out there. I dont agree with the theory of "my bike is inferior so I will not try at all".

If I can beat out another AMA pro in qualifying on his I4 literbike on my inferior twin, why shouldnt I race? Lap times during qualifying should dictate, not bike type. It would simply be filled by someone else of similar speed on an I4, right?

Are you suggesting that qualifying times be even narrower? What is easier- forcing privateers to ride like factory guys or forcing factory bikes to be similar in stature to privateers bikes?

cuda
09-27-2004, 03:35 PM
I was simply saying why AMA didn't let them ride, not that it was good or bad. Some guys seemed to think it should be OK to let them run because it was slower, which is the opposite of where AMA was coming from. Truth about the twins is that they are especially bad in stock trim compared to the Inline 4's but you can build them to be OK. They could do a lot of things to make racing closer, like power to weight ratio limits, or tire rules, or crack down on cheating (I agree that they do). This was just AMA's answer to keeping slower guys off the grid as much as they could. Also, If you want to race AMA you would do better in superbike anyway, as the grids are much weaker. :)

clarkie49
09-27-2004, 04:27 PM
CBR1000RR - deck the heads, valve job, degree the cams, MR9 race gas and bingo, 170hp. the dont handle for crap but the power is that easy.

the ZX10 is even easier ;)

Scooter
09-27-2004, 08:36 PM
cut it out already!

I am spreading some more rumors that Clarkie is in bed with Honda. :D

Steve / AF1 Racing
09-27-2004, 08:49 PM
I want to know how Honda's racing promotion division (aka the AMA), is going to find a way to outlaw the desmosedici's when they go into production.

V4 desmo Ducati, sorry about your luck Honda.
-Steve

Scooter
09-27-2004, 09:10 PM
Actually, I think the SStock rulebook specifies engines in an inline configuration only, so that would do in the V4 desmo, if anyone had the $$ to bring it to the race. I understand those things are going to go for $55-60K a pop.

clarkie49
09-27-2004, 09:19 PM
by the time the Ducati's are released the big four's bikes will be making 180rwhp stock :D that's 200hp+ on the track

while the Honda 1000 makes good HP it has a lot of other issues, now my 600 on the other hand, it's smoking!

Scooter
09-27-2004, 09:25 PM
:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: 600cc :blah: :blah: honda :blah: :blah: 600cc

Whats that Clarkie? Not quite hearing you.....

Steve / AF1 Racing
09-27-2004, 09:42 PM
Conservative estimates have the desmosedici street version turning 200hp, and the torque from that motor will likely dwarf the output of the I4s, not to mention having a far better torque curve.

V format engines always have a better torque signature than inline engines of the same displacement/ cylinder count.

Not to mention that the $55,000 will be buying one hell of a superbike with a headlight.

Like I said, good luck honda, I'd start rewriting those AMA rules now.
-Steve