PDA

View Full Version : Why the Tuono?

SimonB
09-16-2004, 06:56 AM
Dear All,

I am currently looking into getting a new bike to replace my GSXR 600 K1. I cracking bike but I am looking for a change. One thing I know is that it has to be a twin. I have read loads about Buells, I love the Ducatis but for some reason the Tuono seems catch my interest. Anyone care to discuss the merits of the Tuono over the aformentioned brands? I visit a Gixer site wuite a lot and see that the people, albeit very informed, find it hard to discuss the merits of different manufactures. Are there anythings about the Tuono that a new rider to twins and/or litre bikes should be aware of? Why do you like Aprilias? Any information will be greatfully received. Apologies for all the questions but I am excited by the idea of a new bike.

Cheers,
Simon.

Manu
09-16-2004, 07:16 AM
In short words....

Why Aprilia: Japanese reliability + Italian Style and Handling.

Why Tuono: Superbike chassis with wrist friendly riding position. One of the best "real road" riding bike on the market.

vito
09-16-2004, 07:31 AM
:plus:

what he said.

tuono just grabbed me from the start. lot of soul.

:cool:

twin4me
09-16-2004, 07:53 AM
I was in a similar place to you, I had my R6 stolen and facied a change. I tried lots of different bikes but the Tuono really stood out:
Good strong engine with bags of character
Riding position - my wrists don't hurt anymore
Usability - good for my 40 mile commute, mix of town and country
Great handling, suspension and brakes
Different - you don't see as many of these as you see Ducati's
Comfortable - can't be said of the Buell

Get a test ride and you will be hooked...

SimonB
09-16-2004, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the info people. I think the test ride is the way forward. Twin4me, where abouts did you pick your Tuono up from? I am in Croydon and was thinking of heading down to P&H in Brighton. Are there Aprilia dealers near to the south London area?

chrisexup
09-16-2004, 08:20 AM
The Tuono has a stronger engine than the Buell or Duc, and better handling. It's also taller, is size an issue?
The thing i noticed most when i first got my rsv was the engine response - especially at low revs. I like my bikes to be very responsive so love this trait, but it can catch you out! The engine braking is severe, so one mill of twistgrip movement in either direction has the bike leaping forwards or slowing down like you've chucked an anchor out, (BTW, RSVs are overgeared as stock, like Ducs, so most owners first mod is to lower the gearing)
This is hugely entertaining on a road you know well in the dry, but a bumpy tight mountain road in the wet is a test of throttle control:D
Chris.

SimonB
09-16-2004, 08:58 AM
Height is a bit of an issue but I believe the seat height on the Tuono is 10mm lower than the GSXR. I am hoping that I may get a bit more toe on the ground. I am only 5'6'' so I dont have huge legs.

Donkeyman
09-16-2004, 09:39 AM
Simon,

I'm 5'5" and haven't had any issues with the seat height. Occassionally you have to get off the seat to push it back but other than that I don't have any problems with it.

The Tuono is the only naked / streetfighter out there as far as I'm aware to be basically the whole superbike package without the detuning that usually takes place.

It's an awesome ride. The engine revs like a four and handling is razor sharp.

I think the Mille engine combines the best features of a four (spins up quickly) and a twin (beefy mid range).

Let us know what you think after you test ride.

mikesduc
09-16-2004, 10:25 AM
The Tuono is pure fun and adrenaline. I really like my Duc and Honda but the Tuono is the ONE! The only drawback IMO is it is not a bike to just putz around on. The engine's willingness to rev quickly really urges you to ride WFO, but that is also what makes the bike so incredibly fun. I'm not saying its not a good town bike, but that it is a frustrating town bike.

Reliability has been perfect. 15500 miles since March 2003 and not a single problem. BTW the Duc has 10500 miles in the same amount of time and no problems there either.

As so many mags say get ready to become familiar with LEO's. You can't resist the urge to flog this bike.

Get the Tuono! IMO it is the most fun bike on the market bar none. Mike

karldewey
09-16-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by mikesduc
The only drawback IMO is it is not a bike to just putz around on. The engine's willingness to rev quickly really urges you to ride WFO, but that is also what makes the bike so incredibly fun.

Lowering the gearing makes the bike much more pleasant in traffic. It used to be a bit high-strung for my city commute but after dropping to a 15 tooth sprocket up front it is very smooth at city speeds.

I use the Tuono primarily for city riding / canyon bashing and I couldn't think of a better bike for these uses.

Love the bike and have had no issues.

bluestreak
09-16-2004, 02:33 PM
Simon

Don't even consider a Buel. They look nice but are DOGS on performance.

Twin Pumper
09-16-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Manu
In short words....

Why Aprilia: Japanese reliability + Italian Style and Handling.

Why Tuono: Superbike chassis with wrist friendly riding position. One of the best "real road" riding bike on the market.

:plus: :plus:

In addition, I'm pretty tall, so the taller seat and more spread out ergos made it much more comfortable than either of your comparison points....

Plus I can't seem to get this shit eating grin off my face anytime I ride.... I haven't had that go on in a loooooooooooooooong time.

I use it to commute everyday and just went motorcycle camping with it last weekend.

:peace:

chrisexup
09-16-2004, 10:48 PM
I'm only 5'9" but love the high/roomy riding position. The Aprilia has loads of adjustability built in though - you can shorten the length of the shock and drop the front end easily.
Chris.

twin4me
09-17-2004, 02:47 AM
SimonB

I got mine from Bikers World in East Grinstead, I know they still have a Silver one in the shop.
bikersworld (http://www.apriliabikes.co.uk/)
Another site I found was in East London theapriliacentre (http://www.theapriliacentre.com/) , but I didn't visit them. There was also a dealer in West London somewhere but I forget the name.
BUT you have a dealer on your doorstep in Croydon which was where I had my first test ride, InMoto (http://www.inmoto.com/)
They were nice people but the price was a little high compared with what I found elsewhere (perhaps I could have haggled more though). Try and get your first service thrown in as part of the deal, it's expensive.

Send me a message and perhaps I could stop in one night on the way home from London if you want to see one.

jiihoo
09-17-2004, 03:15 AM
Simon,
Im 5,5 (168cm) and have short legs.. no problems with tuono, sure I can only get my toes to the ground when seated right but I like the fact that Tuono is tall.

Coming from inline 4 I have to say Tuono was different but yet had a lot of the good sides that have been mentioned here.. revs fast is one of them (makes you ride too fast :O )

Tuono is a beast and i like it =)

SimonB
09-17-2004, 06:26 AM
Thanks for all of the info guys. I am sure that when I do get one of these Beauties I will get more than enough help. Having a site like this is another reason on top of the many give to get the Tuono. The question remains, do I really blow the bank and go for the Factory?????

Donkeyman
09-17-2004, 10:14 AM
Getting the factory is signficantly cheaper than buying a race exhaust, ohlins shock etc individually.

But ultimately the decision is yours. Either way you won't regret it.

Donkeyman

SimonB
09-20-2004, 07:30 AM
Well I had a sit on a Tuono this weekend. What a brute of a bike. My heart sank as I got close as it looked like the tallest bike I had ever seen. Thankfully when I got on it I was amazed at how light it felt. Picking my Suzuki up off the stand is harder than the Tuono. Well, only the test ride to do know but I haven't found anywhere to do it. Oh and the small issue of fiinding the cash.

The bike I saw was silver, which is much better in the flesh than on the screen of a computer. I really want the black though. Anyway, I believe that I am closer to buying one now than before. Thanks for the info......

twin4me
09-20-2004, 07:40 AM
Simon

If you are really can't find anyone to give you a test ride and you promise to cover any potential damage then let me know and you can have a quick spin on mine.

Johnytuono
09-20-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by RudeKid
Only you can ever know the correct answer to that one. You can do an awful lot with the extra money, and it's not as if the base Tuono R is rubbish.

First time I saw a black '04 model, I thought it was a Factory.
Hi
Yeah youd be surprised at how many ppl ask if my black tuon is a factory too
John
ps almost forgot to mention...you will not be disappointed with this bike........i love it...fantastic ride..great looks!

bluestreak
09-20-2004, 08:27 AM
SimonB

Don't worry about the height. Once your moving 5 mph you don't notice it. I'm vertically challaged at 5'6"( I'm a short little fuc@#er) and don't have any problems at all with it. Besides it won't matter when the front wheel is in the air most of the time.

I was balking at the $19,000 out the door price of my Racing. I'm glad I did it though. The bike is awsome. You will not be unhappy with any Tuono.

Hope to see you soon on a new Aprilia!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SimonB
09-21-2004, 08:01 AM
I can't believe my luck. I have just found a black 04 Tuono going for 6900. To me that is a pretty good saving compared to the prices I saw over the weekend. Apparently this is a good time to buy an Aprilia as the dealers (or maybe just this one) have to start paying for the bikes, even those that are sat in the show room. Hence they are keen to sell this one for less than the advertised price. Does this sound like a likely story to you lot? The dealer is listed on Aprilia.com so I am guessing that it is straight up. Just to be on the safe side is there anything that I should check out before hand?

Thanks again.

vito
09-21-2004, 08:11 AM
minor hijack here, but i see you posted the price in pounds. are you guys not using euros?

twin4me
09-21-2004, 08:42 AM
That's a good price, I paid 7,295 including the first service (which is about 230). You can tell Summer is over when the bike prices start falling. Just don't drive to far to buy it in case you have problems and need to take it back. Who is the dealer?

Euros - pah!
Euros are used in most of Europe and Ireland but we're British damn it and we still use real 's.

SimonB
09-21-2004, 10:04 AM
The dealer was The Aprilia Centre on commercial road. Unfortunately I did not check about the servicing (in my surprise about the price) nor whether it came with an alarm and immobiliser. If neither of these are the case then it may not be such a good deal.

Either way I have just been dealt a blow by my insurance company. I am with MCE but the actual insurer is Shakespeare. They do not cover Aprilia RSV's or Tuonos. I could cancel my current policy but I would loose my NCB and incur a cancellation fee. It looks like I may have to wait until the new year when my Insurance is up for renewal.