PDA

View Full Version : New Factory owner

DRE
09-11-2004, 03:36 PM
Hey guys. I just got a Factory from L.A. Yamaha/Aprilia in Black. A VERY WASOME piece of machinery/art. I am in Santa Barbara right now, and after it took me three hours to get back, I still rode the bike around for half the night! I can't get enough. This is actually my first motorcycle that I've owned (I rode a friend's Yamaha R1 for a really long time like it was my own, and was gonna actually get one until I found Aprilia). I just had a question about the integrity of that MotomanUSA.com website about the hard breakin and the 20mile oil change, and that it has to be petroleum car oil. I found the site on one of the posts here, ad don't know much about bike maintenance, so I want some advice. I will be living within 10 minutes from Sacramento, so if anyone lives there, tell me!

B.T.W. At the same time I was getting my bike, a guy was buying the Nera they had!!! (Is it faster?)

navydevildoc
09-11-2004, 04:09 PM
Congrats man... I am just down south in San Diego, basically the same situation as you but I have to wait for 2 weeks for my bike to come in. Will be nice to actually own my own bike for a change!

I have a feeling that first night is gonna be the same, riding around not wanting to go home just yet... with a shit eating grin on my face the whole time!

radduc
09-11-2004, 08:08 PM
In my opion,I would follow the break-in rules,you have no downside,except you can't get crazy for 600 miles.It's ok to twist it a bit during breakin.You just want to avoid constant RPM's and frequent low and extreamly high RMP's. Congrads on the new bike and ride it in good health.:peace:

Thunder Factory
09-12-2004, 02:39 AM
Welcome to the darside, and congrats on the new bike.

Personally I'd stick with the 600 mile breakin, but if you simply can't resist going with the hard break in make sure you use car oil which is free of additives or you could have serious issues with clutch slip.

Ride safe and enjoy the experience

scott2ride
09-12-2004, 11:42 PM
I would go the HARD break -in way as shown on the Motoman website.

I have done this for my last 2 RSV's.

The bike is redlined in every gear from new in the factory by the aprilia mechanics, so it is not as if you will be the first to red line it.

The 600mile break in rules are more for you to familiarise yourself with the bike than they are for the bikes sake. The 600 mile break in is also inherited from the 'old school' way of thinking. But the tolerences in motors nowdays are nothing like thery were 10 years ago or 30 years ago, when the 600 mile break in rule was originally suggested.

Ride it hard. Bont labour the motor in any gear. Use HEAPS of engine breaking. Dont trhash it till its warm. Bont warm it by letting it idle, just start it and begin riding after about 20-30 seconds (Which is all it needs to get the motors top end lubed)

Cheers