PDA

View Full Version : Cluch and neutral light..

venicafe
07-24-2019, 05:34 AM
So this is situation (to be honest long time one) and because lack of good english i have video too.

When i press clutch, my neutral light go on. When i set up my clutch close to the grip, this is not happend, but when is set little far from grip, i have this issue.
Also... it happend only when my side stand is up, when is down - no neutral light on clutch press. Also, bike is go off immideatly (side stand down), when i puth in gear, not when i release clutch to start mooving.

https://youtu.be/8BZIDgzN29c
Can someone explane me where i shoud start to check, some expirience with similar situation.

Thanks on front

p.s.. i know about tacho, i will fix that after this :lol:

MCR
07-25-2019, 12:51 AM
Check the microswitch on the clutch lever under the oil reservoir. Probably has to be repositioned.

venicafe
07-25-2019, 01:51 PM
I was look, and look, and look.. But i can not find that microswitch..
Can you please point me some how how to locate him

Thanks

bkmo
07-25-2019, 01:58 PM
385166It is under the clutch master. It has a threaded barrel and nut and mounts just inside the lever pivot. Just look up from underneath. It has its own 2 wire harness that you should be able to follow right to the switch.

venicafe
07-25-2019, 01:59 PM
I was look, and look, and look.. But i can not find that microswitch..
Can you please point me some how how to locate him

Thanks

MCR
07-25-2019, 03:14 PM
Maybe it's better that you post a picture of the bottom of clutch oil reservoir where the clutch lever is joined

venicafe
07-27-2019, 05:33 AM
Thanks for help... i will set him up today:cheers:

Tested, do not help that solution.
We go on.. Thanks any way

Stu_O
07-27-2019, 11:41 AM
When i press clutch, my neutral light go on. When i set up my clutch close to the grip, this is not happend, but when is set little far from grip, i have this issue.
Also... it happend only when my side stand is up, when is down - no neutral light on clutch press. Also, bike is go off immideatly (side stand down), when i puth in gear, not when i release clutch to start mooving.
Can someone explane me where i shoud start to check, some expirience with similar situation.
p.s.. i know about tacho, i will fix that after this :lol:

A clutch diode (part #AP8212382) exists in the wiring harness as shown circled in the upper left of the diagram below - part #18 on the schematic. It's located close to the diagnostic connector under the seat, and its purpose (via the clutch micro switch and diode module) is to allow the bike to be started in gear after stalling in traffic by squeezing the clutch lever, while preventing the neutral light from coming on each time you use the clutch lever for normal gear shifting. If it fails by allowing current flow in both directions, the bike will start normally, but you'll get the problem seen in your video. The likely reason it doesn't happen with the lever set close to the grip is because your lever travel isn't enough to actuate the micro switch at the lever pivot. But it should, so perhaps your bike has fat hand grips installed, or that micro switch may be loose or defective, or the paddle that actuates the switch might be bent. If that switch isn't activated by lever travel, you wouldn't be able to start the bike in gear after a stall by just squeezing the clutch lever - you'd need to first place the transmission in neutral.

Your issue with the engine stalling with the stand down when you select any gear other than neutral is a design feature of the safety interlock system - controlled by the diode module shown at bottom right of the diagram. This also prevents the engine being started while resting on the stand and not in neutral. But more importantly, it eliminates accidents caused by neglecting to retract the stand before riding off.

Stu

385316 385318

AndyB
07-27-2019, 03:30 PM
Stu, beautifully explained.

venicafe
07-28-2019, 04:09 PM
:worship:
No comments Stu. Respect!

One question.
I think that microswich is ok, because, everything is ok, just my neutral light go on when i press. Maybe diode is not good? What are chance for that?

Thanks alot

bkmo
07-28-2019, 05:56 PM

One question.
I think that microswich is ok, because, everything is ok, just my neutral light go on when i press. Maybe diode is not good? What are chance for that?

Thanks alot

The symptoms seem to indicate a shorted diode. It would be easy enough to pull it and test it to see if it is allowing current flow in both directions. And easily replaced by a part from your electronics supplier if it is bad. It looks to be an IN5404 rectifier diode.

darota
07-29-2019, 05:22 AM
Similar Problem, worth to take a look

https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?296032-Neutral-light-doesn%B4t-work-(correctly)

Stu_O
07-29-2019, 08:55 AM

One question.
Maybe diode is not good? What are chance for that? 100% But, you also need to make sure the clutch switch is activated by squeezing the clutch lever. It clearly is, with the lever adjusted as it is now. But if you want to adjust the lever closer to the hand grip, find out why doing that prevents the switch from being activated, and correct that issue.

Stu

nerald
07-29-2019, 09:55 AM
I have just sorted an issue with my clutch switch not operating. The lever was warn so badly that the little actuator on the lever did not reach the switch to operate it. Fortunately I had a spare lever, swapped it out and issue is now resolved.

venicafe
07-31-2019, 05:36 AM
ok, this is situation...

i was change diode (without to test old one), but problem still exist :bangwall:. Original diode is IN4007, and i was replace her with same one. I was try to make test with diode from other Caponord, but on him, situation is totaly different, wires go back someware in instalation.
Micro switch is ok.. working good, i can start the bike if i press the clutch. Situation with "close to grip" moment is maybe because of different clutch model (i was change them with after market one, to be honest, chinese one).

Some other reccomendation???

Thanks for help to everybody, Aprilia should make monument to this aftermarket forum.
here are the photos

new one (normaly at the end protected in heat shrink tube)
situation at other Caponord (that one is 2003 model i think)

Thanks one more time

venicafe
08-14-2019, 01:02 AM
Bump...

CapoEVT
08-17-2019, 12:57 PM
Have you bled the clutch system at all? From what you said, independent of lights, the bike will start moving when you have the side stand down even if the clutch lever is pulled in. That seems more a mechanical/fluid problem than electrical.

"Also, bike is go off immideatly (side stand down), when i puth in gear, not when i release clutch to start mooving."

The above has nothing to do with diodes or switches as the clutch function by fluid pressure not electrical. Even with the engine off and ignition key out the clutch should function.

Before you concern yourself with indicator lights I would deal with the safety issue of the bike moving under power when the bike is in gear the clutch lever is pulled in and the side stand is down. While the interlocks should prevent the bike from moving with the gear engaged and sidestand down that isn't the problem you described, the bike moves with the clutch lever pulled in and that is a mechanical/hydraulic issue.

bkmo
08-17-2019, 01:09 PM
I read that as the bike shuts off when put in gear, not when the clutch is released. Sounds ok to me. It should not run when in gear with the sidestand down.

CapoEVT
08-17-2019, 03:29 PM
Bike moves when put in gear and not when releasing clutch. Probably a language barrier but low clutch fluid would do that. The bike starts and with brakes on manages to go into gear. Immediately pulls forward. Sure sign of low fluid or something like that.

I'd still start with making sure the clutch is working as it should and then attend to indicator lights and interlocks.

CapoEVT
08-17-2019, 03:48 PM
Venicafe, does the Capo move forward when it is in 1st gear and clutch lever pulled close to the grip regardless of sidestand position?

If you have a center stand, put it up on that and start the bike with clutch lever pulled in and transmission in neutral. Then shift I to 1st but do not let the clutch lever out. If the rear wheel moved rapidly then service the clutch fluids. I recommend you do this with nothing in front of the bike, you are seated and applying the front brake so that if something bad happens there is no disaster. You can also then try different sidestand position to get a repeatable condition and document the behaviour.

venicafe
08-20-2019, 01:57 AM
Ok, definetly language barier..

Ewerything is ok with clutch/side stand.
When i put in 1st (side stand down), bike go off immediatly. That i not issue

Please sorry for my bad english, and misunderstanding.

But diode problem still exist

venicafe
08-20-2019, 02:03 AM
Venicafe, does the Capo move forward when it is in 1st gear and clutch lever pulled close to the grip regardless of sidestand position?

If you have a center stand, put it up on that and start the bike with clutch lever pulled in and transmission in neutral. Then shift I to 1st but do not let the clutch lever out. If the rear wheel moved rapidly then service the clutch fluids. I recommend you do this with nothing in front of the bike, you are seated and applying the front brake so that if something bad happens there is no disaster. You can also then try different sidestand position to get a repeatable condition and document the behaviour.

This was make me worried little.
When capo is with rear wheel up, engine runing, from neutral to 1st, clutch pressed till end.. Wheel is start to moove, but not rapidly, just slowly.
I was just change all fluids (on start of the season)
Is this normal (slowly), or...?

Thanks for help

nerald
08-20-2019, 04:58 AM
A little clutch drag is normal - Not something I would worry about.

venicafe
08-20-2019, 09:35 AM
Thanks to all..

Some other idea about neutral light, or to try to change microswitch, what assume that is problem to be honest..

Any way.. I'm on ride most of the time. :rolleyes:

CapoEVT
08-20-2019, 05:04 PM
The rear wheel will rotate slowly when in gear and clutch lever pulled if the bike is up on the center stand, no worry about that. If it spins rapidly then it is something to look at.