PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Service Warning

DC950
05-11-2019, 08:55 PM
My Dorsoduro with 250 miles on it has on 3 separate occasions gone in to the red screen Urgent Service Mode.

The first time was after stopping on the side of the road for a few minutes to look at a map. Outside air temp was 55 degrees. It cleared itself after 3 restarts. Being 10 miles and a ferry ride from home, the dealer said to bring it in if it comes back or wait till the 600 mile service if it doesn't. The next day the check engine light even went away.

Second time 2 weeks later was after sitting at a long traffic light. It never cleared itself and I limped back home. After reading that this has happened on Tuono's due to loose battery cables, I checked but they were fine. Disconnecting the battery and pulling fuses seemed to have cleared it, including the check engine light.

Third time was today after riding mostly freeway for 14 miles. Once again, after idling at a traffic light. It too never cleared and I once again limped home.

It is getting towed to the dealer Tuesday. The coolant is fine, cool even in the reservoir. The oil isn't hot. No weird noises or smells. No indication it's going to flash red until it happens.

Anyone have any experience with this?

IndelibleInk
05-12-2019, 03:38 PM
I don't think it's cooling related. Probably early failure of a sensor somewhere, the dealer will be able to see which codes tripped the urgent service message and go from there.

DC950
05-15-2019, 09:46 PM
nope, they can't tell because now that the bike put itself in limp mode, it deleted the code that put it there. And now that it's cleared, they have not been able to get it to do it again. if this is the way the computer brain actually is supposed to work, not only is it stupid, it's probably against EPA regulations.

The only common thing is the engine was heat soaked when it happened. Not overheated, just heated up thoroughly. This would also explain why it won't go into Urgent again in the shop.

if you have any suggestions, please let me have them. I can't have a "fixed' bike and have it do it in idaho next month.

DC950
05-18-2019, 10:28 PM
to follow up on this they did find codes. 8 of them. They did the dash update, some other update, and reflashed the ECU. Runs fine and to me, somewhat differently, in a good way.