PDA

View Full Version : 2012 rsv4 surging on deceleration

dazo
04-21-2019, 02:13 PM
I recently went to a track day and rode 5 sessions with no problems, when in the 6th session it started intermittently surging on deceleration in 3rd and 4th gear. 2nd and 1st gear do not seem to have the same problem. I have not been brave enough to try it in 5th and 6th gears since the bike gets very unsettled by this.

I have checked the codes in IAWdiag and there was a stored P0105 that I cleared, but no active codes. I also tried to recalibrate the APRC, but this did not solve the problem either. The bike has 6300 miles, all track.

Any ideas of where to go from here would be helpful.

The bike was crashed recently, but had basically three track days since then with no issues.

dazo
04-22-2019, 06:11 PM
I took it out for another test ride to see what I could find out. I noticed some grinding and banging from the gear box and the issue seems like a 3rd gear issue. I had gotten a couple false neutrals before this happened. I guess it is time for a new transmission? Any advice would be helpful.

plocky
04-22-2019, 06:51 PM
You have a cassette gearbox, pull it out & have a look or take it to an expert & get them to replace the worn gears, gears with worn dogs & worn shift forks as well as any bearings that need replacing.

Your other choice is a completely new gearbox or a second hand one, check for bikes being parted out in the for sale section.

dazo
04-22-2019, 08:09 PM
You have a cassette gearbox, pull it out & have a look or take it to an expert & get them to replace the worn gears, gears with worn dogs & worn shift forks as well as any bearings that need replacing.

Your other choice is a completely new gearbox or a second hand one, check for bikes being parted out in the for sale section.
Thanks for the advice. Repairs like this are more than I am comfortable doing, so I will find a mechanic for sure.

madduc
04-22-2019, 08:12 PM
Is the surge just for a moment and then settles?

plocky
04-23-2019, 02:42 AM
Thanks for the advice. Repairs like this are more than I am comfortable doing, so I will find a mechanic for sure.
Ok, so just to give you an idea, a good mechanic can remove the gearbox from the engine while still in the frame in about 15 minutes including faring removal.

Here is video of the gearbox removal part, skip to 4 mins 45 seconds.

https://youtu.be/xPFx1EQatN8?t=285

Maciej1230
04-23-2019, 03:31 AM
If You need whole gearbox, I have one from 2013 available, PM me if Your interested.
Will send info and pics with dimension so there will be no doubts about fatigue or failure.

dazo
04-23-2019, 08:51 AM
Is the surge just for a moment and then settles?
It doesn't settle, it lurches pretty wildly all the way to the corner.

Ok, so just to give you an idea, a good mechanic can remove the gearbox from the engine while still in the frame in about 15 minutes including faring removal.

Here is video of the gearbox removal part, skip to 4 mins 45 seconds.

I'm pretty sure I could take it apart, but getting it back together is the part I worry about! lol