PDA

View Full Version : What (TF) is Aprilia doing with the Shiver?

NewApriliaGuy
04-19-2019, 07:21 PM
I don't get it.

I bought a Shiver 750 as my first bike. It was an awesome first bike and (really) second bike as I moved from being a noob in Rain mode 24/7 learning to countersteer, corner, and do figure eights in my neighborhood and local church parking lots to something less than noob 12k miles later ripping over mountain passes in Sport mode.

Until a deer decided to teleport in front of me on one of said mountain passes.

I had the opportunity to pick up a Moto Guzzi Griso with the insurance money, and I'm glad I did, but the plan was always to replace the Shiver with another sporty naked like my Shiver, but upgraded, preferably the new 900.

But they didn't really upgrade it. It's got 150 more ccs and practically no more power. How and why?

The Shiver 750 was better than the Ducati 696 and 796 in every way, except weight and maybe brakes - equal or better power, better electronics, better suspension, better build quality, better reliability, and cheaper. It was a no-brainer even though my nearest dealer was almost 3 hours away from me whereas Ducati had 4 dealers within that same distance.

Flash forward a scant few years and now I'm looking at a Shiver 900 that's gone backwards to a 41mm fork (albeit semi adjustable), the same plastic brake lines as the Ducati Monsters, and significantly less power and more weight than the Monster 821 which has almost 80 fewer ccs with which to make it. On top of that my closest dealer is now almost 6 hours away. I want to buy another Shiver since the Tuono is still more bike than would really be right for me at this point and Aprilia has nothing to offer to compete with an 821 or a used Monster 1200. Absolutely nothing in between 95bhp and 175bhp. That's a big hole.

This bike as finished is a missed opportunity for Aprilia it seems. Don't understand why they didn't cut power some in the 750 to make emissions regs, take that to 41mm non-adjustable forks and plastic brake lines, maybe even drop the hydraulic clutch too, and keep that as their A2 bike with the slight body refresh while slightly upspeccing the 900 (basically just not downspeccing from the 750 and adding the new electronics, a fully adjustable 43mm fork, and some mid range Brembros) and using the increased bore to give it competitive power. I find it hard to believe that Aprilia couldn't have gotten 15 more clean ponies out of that lump easily.

And now we have the RS 660 coming so they'll have 2 engines in the middleweight category both putting out less than 100bhp and nothing to compete with the Monster 821, Duke 790, or Street Triples. WTF?

Aprilia, love the bikes, but the marketing and sales strategy is KILLLING YOU. Please get your shit together. I enjoy rooting for Aleix and Andrea, but if you don't have competitive offerings and my closest dealer is now 6 hours away, I can't buy your bikes no matter how much I might want to.

:(

Thoughts on this rant?

IndelibleInk
04-23-2019, 09:58 AM
Well, we know that this wasn't always meant to be the whole story for the V90 platform. There were "hot" versions of the 750 on the dyno, a 1200 Shiver was "ready to go" at one point and Piaggio had been fully behind it all right up to the financial crash of 2008. The 750 motor has all the hallmarks of a sports engine and should be easily capable of over 105 bhp; the chassis also responds well if set up - it's a strange coincidence that the steering geometry matches the RSV if you put RSV forks on it. They even had a concept (the FV2) with the engine as a stressed member, which would reduce the weight a bit.

Anyway, what followed, and what we're now left with, is a cost reduction exercise. The V90 doesn't have secondary air injection, so that makes emissions a challenge, and that probably killed the 1200s since Piaggio were still unwilling to spend money on them.

The 900s actually use the same cams as the 750s, so that's why it only makes slightly more power (partly due to friction reduction). It's also the only A2 bike Aprilia have, and I guess they didn't want to spend the money to get both the A2 legal version and a (re-engineered) more sporty version registered around the world.

I'd say that unless Aprilia are allowed to resurrect the V90 platform for Euro 5, and invest in the necessary re-engineering, then it's probably done.

Which is a shame. A 130 - 140 bhp 900 twin would go well in the range; basically the old V2 Tuono re-done. In addition, the 660 engine is likely half of a new V4, so I think a 900+ triple (as a V, for a bit of spice) would fill in the gap between the twins and the likely 1100+ cc four cylinder, which could be 220+ hp.

So it could end up like this on the sporty side of things:
120kg; 15 bhp; 125 cc; single (25 bhp with the race pack!)
120kg; 18 bhp; 150 cc; single (30+ bhp in "race" trim?)
150kg; 40 bhp; 300 cc; twin (two of their 150 cc singles? A2 legal, otherwise 50+ bhp?)
180kg; 105 bhp; 660 cc; twin (with A2 / LAMS version)
200kg; 135 bhp; 900 cc; twin (with existing A2 versions)
190kg; 170 bhp; 990 cc; triple
200kg; 220 bhp; 1?00 cc; V4

NewApriliaGuy
04-24-2019, 10:15 PM
Which is a shame. A 130 - 140 bhp 900 twin would go well in the range; basically the old V2 Tuono re-done.

A shame indeed. That's just what I need and it would fill their naked hole nicely with a bike that would be very competitive in the class.