PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust & Filter & Remap - help!

cherbzilla
04-09-2019, 08:23 AM
Hi all, I've searched the threads for answers but have drawn a blank - I hope this isn't a duplicate post...:crybaby: I've got 3 queries:

1 - I've just received the Roadsitalia Carbon exhausts for my DD1200. Old threads imply that this is very tricky to fit. It seems like a piece of cake, but I gather the difficulty is in mounting it in a way that doesn't look stupid - has anyone got any experience of how to avoid this? I'm reasonably handy with a wrench but don't have any metal fab capabilities so am quite restricted in that regard.

2 - Is it worth getting the DNA Stage 2 fitted in conjunction with these pipes? The threads on here seem to suggest that you can get an extra 6hp from the filter alone?!?! I'm dubious of that but if it helps the general feel of the bike at all I'm open to doing it.

3 - It needs its 12k valve clearance check shortly, should I ask them to install a different map to account for the pipes and (potentially) filter swaps? I've read the arrow map is an improvement - FYI the pipes are decat ones so I'm guessing a new map will help. To that end, I'm sure a full ECU flash would be even better, does anyone know anywhere in the UK that will do this? All the results I've found are mail-order, send us your ECU type services which I'm not particularly keen on doing...

Thanks for any and all help!!

Cherbs

RATMOUL
04-09-2019, 01:23 PM
Hi all, I've searched the threads for answers but have drawn a blank - I hope this isn't a duplicate post...:crybaby: I've got 3 queries:

1 - I've just received the Roadsitalia Carbon exhausts for my DD1200. Old threads imply that this is very tricky to fit. It seems like a piece of cake, but I gather the difficulty is in mounting it in a way that doesn't look stupid - has anyone got any experience of how to avoid this? I'm reasonably handy with a wrench but don't have any metal fab capabilities so am quite restricted in that regard.

2 - Is it worth getting the DNA Stage 2 fitted in conjunction with these pipes? The threads on here seem to suggest that you can get an extra 6hp from the filter alone?!?! I'm dubious of that but if it helps the general feel of the bike at all I'm open to doing it.

3 - It needs its 12k valve clearance check shortly, should I ask them to install a different map to account for the pipes and (potentially) filter swaps? I've read the arrow map is an improvement - FYI the pipes are decat ones so I'm guessing a new map will help. To that end, I'm sure a full ECU flash would be even better, does anyone know anywhere in the UK that will do this? All the results I've found are mail-order, send us your ECU type services which I'm not particularly keen on doing...

Thanks for any and all help!!

Cherbs

Hi Cherbs. I am not familiar with those exact pipes but most others are a pretty straight forward affair so I don't imagine that they will be much of a problem. As far as a reflash goes, there is very little available for the DD1200. Aprilia had one update and I believe there is one by Arrow floating around. A guy named Gabro in Rome does them but you would need to send your box to him. Most owners just ensure at the dealer that the latest Aprilia program is installed and also add a Fatduc to help with the lean low end. As far as the DNA goes, it is a nice piece and seems well made. It adds a nice intake growl at WOT and seems to add a touch of power. 6 hp might be a stretch though. Pipes, decat, Fatduc and a DNA and you might get an extra 10-15 hp which is noticable. Good luck and have fun. Tom

Jareds
04-10-2019, 02:39 AM
Another option is TuneECU - Ive recently used it. There are American and European maps available.
1 x Stock American (my ecu), 1 X stock European, and 1 x Akro full power map (European).
Must make sure of what ECU type you have. I took the Fuel and Timing maps from the Akro full power map, and applied to mine. So far so good :)

cherbzilla
04-10-2019, 08:48 AM
..also add a Fatduc to help with the lean low end...

Thanks for your response Ratmoul - I've read about the Fatduc and while I ride a lot in town and would benefit from the smoothing out of the low end response, I'd also worry about the rich running condition at higher revs that it creates. There seems to be a 50/50 consensus on this particular mod...

Re the mapping, I've heard about "Rexxer" but they're EUR 499?!?! That's crazy. Going to ask my local service centre what they can do with the Map - I don't think the guy I got the bike from had had the map updated, but its a 2013 model so may have come with the latest map - idk

RATMOUL
04-10-2019, 09:20 PM
Thanks for your response Ratmoul - I've read about the Fatduc and while I ride a lot in town and would benefit from the smoothing out of the low end response, I'd also worry about the rich running condition at higher revs that it creates. There seems to be a 50/50 consensus on this particular mod...

Re the mapping, I've heard about "Rexxer" but they're EUR 499?!?! That's crazy. Going to ask my local service centre what they can do with the Map - I don't think the guy I got the bike from had had the map updated, but its a 2013 model so may have come with the latest map - idk

Gabro my be your best bet if you want a full reflash. I have had good luck with the Fatduc set in the middle setting. Fairly smooth on the bottom end with lots of instant on and not over rich on the top. Fuel mileage descent and plugs about perfect colour. Cheers Tom
ps it would seem to me that many of those struggling with a too rich condition with a fatduc had other problems going on first.

cherbzilla
04-11-2019, 02:36 AM
Gabro my be your best bet if you want a full reflash. I have had good luck with the Fatduc set in the middle setting. Fairly smooth on the bottom end with lots of instant on and not over rich on the top. Fuel mileage descent and plugs about perfect colour. Cheers Tom
ps it would seem to me that many of those struggling with a too rich condition with a fatduc had other problems going on first.

Yeh I bit the bullet yesterday and ordered the DNA Stage 2 and the Fat Duc! Got half way through installing the pipes yesterday evening, only to discover that those Italian swines had left out 2 crucial nuts!! Easily replaced but very annoying. Will post pics when installed if anyone's interested - the pipes are Carbon, Decat and were 390 delivered - they're an obscure Italian brand but about half the price of any others I could find.

Can't wait to see how she sounds/goes with these mods!!!