PDA

View Full Version : 14 RSV4 Factory - ECU Disconnected Error on Track Bike Build (ABS ECU?)

Kiggy74
04-08-2019, 11:00 AM
Looking for some help from the RSV4 brain trust,

Here's the background:
2014 RSV4 Factory w/ ABS that I purchased already converted to track, but the original owner was parting it out.
One of the items that was parted was an open flash tablet, but before the OFT was sold the ECU was flashed back to the stock map
I still have the original ECU but is now running the base map
Original owner was using a Starlane dash, I'm using OEM dash but not the original dash from this bike

Here's the current state:
Bike starts and runs, seems to idle fine, I rode it around the neighborhood for this first time yesterday
There are errors on the dash, red triangle service light, ABS light on, amber APRC start-up calibration light flashing
Gauge cluster is doing some interesting things (see video below):
- Getting an ECU Disconnected error
- Tach cycles back and forth between an accurate value and then to zero, goes back and forth every few seconds
- At the same time the tach is cycling the values for traction control setting cycles on and off
I can't adjust any APRC settings in the dash, they are all hashed out
When I was riding around the neighborhood the speedo showed "0" the whole time

What I've Tried:
Throttle position sensor was successfully calibrated using Guzzidiag
Pulled the codes from the ECU with Guzzidiag, only showing missing secondary air system and exhaust valve controller, both are correct but will be cleared up with a race mapping.
I've checked both speed sensors to make sure they are connected.
I attempted to calibrate APRC, no-go.
I attempted to read the ECU using IAWreader but that didn't work either.

My best guess at this point is that either a result of the de-flashing of the ECU back to stock, or the new dash, that the main ECU and ABS control unit (that also controls APRC) have lost touch with eachother, or need to be re-associated in PADS. Or possibly the ECU I'm using accidentally had ABS turned off?

Is there anything else I can try short of taking this to a dealer with PADS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn2C0EPdOR8

pauldayona
04-10-2019, 12:30 AM
You do have a can bus problem. What map version? Dash is from what year bike?
There is no abs unit? Then there should be a clr unit to get speed reading and aprc

Send from my mobile

Kiggy74
04-10-2019, 05:47 AM
Hey Paul, dash is also from a 13 or 14. ABS unit is installed and was working for the previous owner before the ecu was flashed back to stock. It's still present, was never removed. Not sure of the flash version, I'll grab that.

Kiggy74
04-10-2019, 08:14 AM
ECU version per IAW Diag:

IAW 7SM
CM228217
IAW7SMHW100
13A9AB23
7SMB2
AZPP7IP7N
<;

pauldayona
04-10-2019, 04:40 PM
13A9AB23 is stock USA map. Can be that the dash and ecu/abs don't have right settings to communicate as it should be. Then only PADS can help.

Gabro
04-12-2019, 12:16 PM
are you sure the dash plug is correctly in?

Kiggy74
04-12-2019, 02:58 PM
I've removed and reinstalled the dash a number of times to make sure it's plugged in correctly. All the pins look good.

I do have another RSV4 in street trim, 2012 Factory, non-ABS. I can try swapping components for troubleshooting, but it's a non abs bike so I'm not sure what it will tell me.

Gabro
04-12-2019, 11:51 PM
swapping this dash in the '12 bike will say if dash is good or not

PS you will have to swap key-block as well, for the immo.

tomik
04-13-2019, 03:25 PM
Have you checked/charged your battery? Weak battery or loose battery connector can do strange things...

Kiggy74
04-13-2019, 07:26 PM
Gabro - swapped dash from my '12. No ecu disconnect error, but otherwise the dash is still showing the same weird behavior. Service light still on, still cycling back and forth with traction control numbers in the dash. I'm assuming the dash is not a factor at this point.

Tomik - Brand new shorai battery in this bike.

I dropped the bike off at the dealer late in the day today. They seemed somewhat familiar with the issue and thought hooking it up to PADS would be successful. Fingers crossed....

Kiggy74
04-22-2019, 01:36 PM
Quick update, the dealer has had my bike for 9 days now. For some reason it wasn't touched at all for a week. Tech started looking at it last Friday, is now having trouble getting the device to connect to PADS at all. They are trying to get in touch with Aprilia tech support but i guess they are closed for the long holiday weekend. I told them that I'm coming to get the bike on Wednesday, ready or not. There's another aprilia dealer a couple hours away from me.

What a PITA.

pauldayona
04-23-2019, 03:42 AM
They haven't used PADS in a year and forgot how it works? Or didn't renew subscription on it. If IAWdiag can connect, the Ecu is talking

Kiggy74
04-28-2019, 08:14 AM
Another update, bike is back from the dealer. It took them two weeks to get their PADs current, which is why they had it so long. In the meantime i picked up a race ecu from a forum member as my ecu had the stock map. We installed the race ecu which is now showing "race" on the dash as it should, but otherwise the errors all remain. The bike is still showing the ecu disconnected error, and is also showing error p0611 which cannot be cleared.

Running out of options here. My next step is to send my dash, ecu, and key along to AF1 where they gave the capability of confirming that these things are all configured right, and at least rule those components out. If they determine the issue is something with my bike it's likely I'm going to throw in the towel and part this thing out. :-(

pauldayona
04-28-2019, 12:32 PM
But the pads from dealer showed no errors or couldn't fix the errors?

Updating a pads is max 10 minutes, I suppose they had no subscription on it anymore.

Kiggy74
04-28-2019, 01:09 PM
You're likely right. I don't think they had a pads subscription. They can't clear the p0611 error, i can't either. At least they didn't charge me anything.

As far as i can guess, my issue is either the harness or the abs controller. Any other ideas?

pauldayona
04-28-2019, 04:10 PM
The can bus is connecting 4 things: ecu, dash, abs and sensorbox. Plug in sensorbox or abs not seated? Just take them out and plug in again. You can't clear errors that are active, they come back direct, so it seems they were not cleared.

The error guide tells us at p0611:

Description: Stored data file (for safety)
Detail (Symptom):
Filled
Scheduling error
CKSUM Flash error
CANVBTHR voltage error

Action to do
1) ECU has disabled a-PRC system after detecting severe fault
2) Contact Aprilia Technical Support service

So that makes us not more wise.

Kiggy74
04-28-2019, 06:04 PM
By sensor box, do you mean gyro sensor that mounts to the tank?

On the dash i can see "race" for the ecu, tells me the ecu must be connected. The dash comes on, i can see all kinds of things, tells me the dash is connected.

I guess that leaves the abs unit and the sensor box. Previous owner says that he used abs previously, so unless i broke it or the harness putting the bike back together its likely it's still fine. I bought the sensor box used. I do have another in my other rsv4. Maybe I'll swap them and see what happens.

pauldayona
04-30-2019, 08:35 AM
something to try, download the save data from ecu(actors menu) and clear it afterwards, should solve the p0611 error. But it can quickly fill up again, it errors are produced

Kiggy74
05-12-2019, 05:36 PM
something to try, download the save data from ecu(actors menu) and clear it afterwards, should solve the p0611 error. But it can quickly fill up again, it errors are produced

Quick follow up on this thread, and a question for Paul.

Long story short, the issues seems to have been the wiring harness. Original owner is now admitting that he had re-pinned some things to enable an auto-blipper. This harness had been heavily modified, it was best to ditch it for an unmolested unit. Af1 helped by taking a look at my dash, ecu, and key, but couldn't anything wrong. I ordered another ABS unit thinking maybe I'd get lucky with it. No such luck. I JUST finished swapping out the wiring harness from a 100% original '15 Factory w/ ABS. After an all day project the install the new harness the bike started right up, but still showing codes that I was able to clear. Thankfully, the SERVICE and ECU DISCONNECTED errors are no longer present. The bike is behaving 100% normal at this point.

However the P0611 error is still present in IAWDiag and I can't seem to clear it. Since there are no other errors I believe that this error was stored on here from before. When I got my ECU back from AF1 I did plug it in and try starting the bike before I tore into the harness, just in case they might have been able to fix something. That's when I believe all of the P0611 errors occurred.

@Pauldayona, you suggested that "I download the save data from the ECU by using the actors menu". I'm running IAWDiag v0.47 and don't seem to have this option. What exactly should I be looking for in the actors menu?

pauldayona
05-12-2019, 05:49 PM
First: Stored data download
Then: Clear stored data

Kiggy74
05-12-2019, 05:55 PM

This is what I've got in the "actors" menu. Did you mean to read/clear the code from the "Faults" menu? I was under the impression that the stored data file can't be cleared this way.

plocky
05-12-2019, 09:55 PM
I was under the impression that the stored data file can't be cleared this way.
me too.

First: Stored data download
Then: Clear stored data I can't find that in IAWDiag or GuzziDiag?