PDA

View Full Version : Bike stalled after downshift

Uncle Will
03-31-2019, 10:03 PM
Today my bike shut down in the middle of the road after a downshift. I was in 5th gear cruising home from Palomar Mountain and traffic in front of me was slowing wayyy down from around 50-60, to 30. Instead of being lazy, i downshifted the traditional way. Clutch in, throttle off, downshifted to 4th, and then i heard a loud clunk and the lever snapped back into place fast! The Bike immediately shut off and left me coasting in traffic lol. I pulled over to the side and got down to neutral, turned the bike off, and back on instantly. It fired up and everything was all good. I listened for any abnormal sounds for the first 10 mins and everything was fine. My question is, has anyone experienced this before? I am beginning to think i should just auto blip all of my downshifts to avoid that but i like to use the traditional way when I'm not riding hard. I also noticed before that when shifting, i'll get some clutch slip every once in a while. It'll slip and the bike will behave like the blipper was being used but i "was" using the clutch. I figured its because i wasn't pulling the clutch in 100% (maybe like 85%), so when it happens, i just focus on getting a full lever pull and it doesn't happen.

madhatter
03-31-2019, 10:28 PM
Not sure if you experienced the same stall mine did as I am not familiar with Palomar mountain but I moved to Vegas last summer and my bike will stall coming back down out of the mountains if there was a significant elevation change. If I pull over, shut it off, and start it again as you described then everything is back to normal. I don’t have the loud clunk, or clutch slip you are describing however.

Uncle Will
03-31-2019, 11:00 PM
Na, mine was definitely from a downshift. Palomar Mountain is this fun ride in So Cal. Takes like 45 mins to get to the mountain so you have to drive thru traffic. Maybe i'll tamper with my clutch tension at the lever.

YJP
04-01-2019, 03:15 PM
I have a 2014 RSV4 this has happened to me twice. Both times downshifting into a lower gear from highway speeds into an off ramp going into the exit a little to fast.

winwin
04-01-2019, 09:18 PM
Mine doesn't die but is really hard to downshift from 2nd to 1st if i blip it and the rpm is near 6k.

Uncle Will
04-01-2019, 09:56 PM
Yea, my downshifts are violent for sure lol. I’ll test it out this weekend to find a sweet spot.