PDA

View Full Version : (2015) Oil in Airbox?

Jebus
03-31-2019, 01:45 PM
Hey!

Engine: 2015 RSV4

So I haven't ridden in about 2-3 weeks. I planned to go for a ride and I saw quite a bit of white smoke coming out of my exhaust. After about a minute, it seemed to linger (like burnt oil), so I shut it off.

About an hour later, I started the bike up again in the hopes of videotaping the smoke. No smoke... Until about a minute in. Started to smoke again, turned it off. Smoke didn't really show up in the video.

Searched the forum. Found at least 1 thread with this issue. (This one (https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?326626-Stinky-white-smoke-coming-out-of-exhaust-2016-factory))

Anyways... I opened the airbox and it seems like there's a thin layer of oil in there. Here are a few photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/g7ycWt7kzzL4qxnNA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/or8mpf4MNgGfqCNS9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4cPGuoLHXmt2CHPh7

Observations:
It seems like a thin layer of oil is present in the airbox. The air filter itself is not soaked, but I plan on ordering a new one once I figure out what to do about the oil in the airbox.

The oil itself seems fine. It's not milky or white, but I'm basing my observation on the tiny bit that is on the dip stick. I don't really want to open the drain plug.

Full Disclosure:
I don't really feel comfortable going further into disassembling the bike. I'm hesitant even checking the spark plug because I'm afraid I'll F something up (forget anti sieze or something...). I already cracked my oil pan days before a track day and I was using an accurate torque wrench for that... I'm not completely incompetent, but it feels like my bike is made of glass.

My nearest shop is about 2 hours away in Thousand Oaks, so I'm not exactly jumping at the chance of trailering my bike just to get a second look.

Questions:
What is causing the issue?
Should I just run the bike, let it heat up to temp, and the small amount of oil will burn off?
Anything else I should do while I have the bike apart? (I'm replacing the battery and air filter. Considering the spark plugs, but the engine has 3k miles on it...)
Previous thread: the guy pulled the plugs, turned the engine over, then cleaned everything. You think it'll work for me?

plocky
04-01-2019, 02:40 AM
1: a small amount of oil film in the airbox is normal when the crankcase ventilation is fed to the airbox, high temperatures & track days will cause this. Puddles of oil are not normal.
2: white smoke may just be condensation due to high humidity & cooler temperatures, usually disappears, bad things that cause oil smoke don't usually disappear.
3: it has nothing to do with your air filter unless it looks like it's totally blocked.
4: at 3000 miles, unless it is using a lot of oil, then it isn't oil smoke.
5: beware that overfilling your oil is not recommended & can cause even more oil in your airbox.
6: it is not your spark plugs, don't go there.

Does the engine sound like it's running normally? If yes & all above checks out then go for a ride.

I went for a ride today a 2pm our time, temperate was 16C & I had white vapor out my exhaust until the full exhaust system warmed up. \_(ツ)_/

stu_h
04-01-2019, 04:24 AM
I went for a ride today a 2pm our time, temperate was 16C & I had white vapor out my exhaust until the full exhaust system warmed up. \_(ツ)_/

Great post, an now his issue is solved , where did you ride in the best motorcycle playground in the world?

plocky
04-01-2019, 04:33 PM
Great post, an now his issue is solved , where did you ride in the best motorcycle playground in the world?
Deloraine to the Great Lakes via Golden Valley on the Lake Hwy & back down again.

Jebus
04-01-2019, 08:06 PM
Exactly what I was looking for.

I think the engine sounds normal. I usually wear earplugs, so when I take them off and hear all the other noise that's usually left out, I can't say if it's always been there or not.

No oil puddles. Just a bit of oil glaze and I did do a track day fairly recently.

Let's consider this solved unless you see another post from me talking about how the bike exploded and my idiot ass started the next California fire :P