PDA

View Full Version : Theft while traveling

akabek
03-30-2019, 12:27 PM
Back in 2011 I rode from Toronto down to the Tail of the Dragon on a RC51. At the time I was not concerned about someone stealing my bike during my adventure. I would think an RSV4 would be higher on the list. Is there anything you guys do to reduce the chance of someone steal your ride during a long trip? I have heard of guys putting a bike cover over their bike and adding vinyl advertising a brand of lesser interest on it. I have a vinyl cutter and heat press so that would be easy. I also have a Scorpio alarm system which I have been too lazy to install but that would help. I guess you can also put a chain through the wheels but they can still pick it up and drop in a van.

Let me know your thoughts.

Gluge
03-30-2019, 03:21 PM
Make sure your insurance is in order and then don't worry about it. I don't think thieves target Aprilia's at any measurable rate compared to honda sportbikes or other brands besides maybe Ducati. I think I once heard that GSXR's were the sportbikes most likely to be stolen actually. Easier to sell off their parts maybe without getting tracked down? If anyone could measure the risk I don't think it would be higher for Aprilia. Just my 2cents.

akabek
03-30-2019, 04:51 PM
If my bike gets stolen so be it, I would just buy another one. The bigger pain in the butt is getting home depending on how far away I am. If there is a way to reduce the chances I am all for it

I just did a quick Google search and Aprilia does not even hit the top 15 but then how many Aprilia's are sold in Canada or the US in a year.

dcboy
03-30-2019, 05:21 PM
I always request a ground floor motel room and roll her in. I couldn’t sleep otherwise.

Diablo1
03-30-2019, 05:54 PM
Buy a gun holster and attach it to your bike. When the thieves see the empty holster, they’ll wonder about the owner giving them a surprise.

akabek
03-30-2019, 06:18 PM
Buy a gun holster and attach it to your bike. When the thieves see the empty holster, they’ll wonder about the owner giving them a surprise.

LOL, good one.

Revit
03-31-2019, 02:54 PM
moe's sewer maintenance
call 1-800-got-poop

Scott12
04-01-2019, 09:24 AM
I always request a ground floor motel room and roll her in. I couldn’t sleep otherwise.
This. When we went to the tail of the dragon last year that’s what I did. We also got a couple of the hotels to let us roll them into the lobby.

akabek
04-01-2019, 10:08 AM
This. When we went to the tail of the dragon last year that’s what I did. We also got a couple of the hotels to let us roll them into the lobby.

That would be the easiest and safest bet? Out of sight out of mind. Did you always ask the front desk or just roll them in?

flobrandx
04-01-2019, 11:47 AM
When I did a long trip with a couple buddies we used a cable and lock to tie the 3 bikes together at night. Just to make it a little harder and a little piece of mind.

wellcraft
04-01-2019, 02:30 PM
Theres really not a whole lot you can do except minimize the opportunity for a thief to steal your bike. I'm careful where I choose to spend the night and make sure I'm not in the bad part of town or in a desolate area. Since I'm retired military I make a point to stay on base whenever possible.
If you can wheel the bike in your room that would be the perfect solution but how many hotels will allow you to put a motorcycle in your room? I also park my bike where I can see it from my room or if stopping to eat get a table by a window to keep an eye on my bike. At the end of the day any little thing you can do to deter a thief works in your favor. Something like a cover on your bike might be enough to cause a thief to bypass your bike. A determined thief will steal your bike but thieves are looking for easy targets so the more hurdles you make them jump through to steal your bike the less likely it is your bike will be stolen.

akabek
04-01-2019, 02:59 PM
I fully agree Wellcraft. Be smart about it and don't make it easy. I will probably install my Scorpio alarm and bring a cable lock with me when the time comes. When I road down to the Tail of the Dragon I did not have any issues. We mostly stayed in motels on the way down except for one hotel on route back when we hit a heavy rain storm.

the bartender
04-02-2019, 10:44 AM
So far i've used hotels/motels in 17 states, and i've never had an issue.
I prefer to find motels that the parking is not completely visible from the main street, but this isn't always possible.
I've parked by the motel front door/office in numerous towns, which although convenient for safety, can be a pain in the ass for load/unload.
I tend to stay in motels that are right off the highway, they tend have a lot less foot traffic, and i feel they are much safer (and convenient).
Ground floor motels where i can park right in front of my room are the best solution, and definitely my preference.

johnnyjellybean
04-02-2019, 11:02 AM
Park in a place where it would be difficult for a truck to back up to, and put a good padlock through the holes on each disk. They'll have to carry it to steal it.

Kiggy74
04-02-2019, 11:42 AM
There's always a ton of bike down there, it's a mecca for motorcycling. Park in a well-lit, public place with other bikes and I don't think you have much to worry about. I've been down there three times, stayed in various hotels where other bikers stay and have never heard of any issues.

Diablo1
04-02-2019, 11:49 AM
Park next to a Harley. No bike thief in his right mind will steal an Aprilia when he can take a Harley.

akabek
04-02-2019, 01:45 PM
LOL, it would be much easier to pick up an Aprilia and toss it in a van....Gone in 20 seconds.

Scott12
04-09-2019, 06:46 PM
That would be the easiest and safest bet? Out of sight out of mind. Did you always ask the front desk or just roll them in?

We asked one night, and just rolled them into the rooms the next 2. On other trips though, I just used a motorcycle cover that did not fit my bike in hopes that people wouldn’t peak underneath. Like others I like to have the bikes as close to the rooms as possible. I sleep very lightly so that helps as well!

erick1670
04-12-2019, 02:04 PM
1000% Agreed :bond::bond:

marcodarq
04-12-2019, 02:41 PM
put it in the room, if you cant do that, lock it up as best you can and leave a bunch of .556 brass on the ground around it.
marco

akabek
04-12-2019, 02:54 PM
I'm just going to go buy a red laser, put it on the window sill and point it at the bike all night.