PDA

View Full Version : LED turn signal question

Arkas
03-22-2019, 12:13 AM
Anyone know if I can use LED turn signal lights without causing a code with the electrical sys?
I want to upgrade my bulbs to brighter LED’s
2010 RSV4
Thanks

cb77guy
03-22-2019, 11:15 AM
You will need resistors in the circuit in order to get the proper flash rate. Without the resistors, the signals will flash too fast and you may get an error on the dash. If there is a flasher in the circuit, you could replace it with an electronic flasher and disregard the resistors.

I'm only familiar with my '16 model and it does not have a flasher. The turn signal flash rate is controlled by the ECU. I don't know if any of the older models had a flasher or not.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

akabek
03-23-2019, 01:49 PM
I would think it depends on the LED bulb. Some may have a resistor already in place. When I installed a tail tidy I replaced the signals with these.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06XJ2ZLSH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are long but I wanted them to be seen verses cosmetic.

I did buy some LED bulbs for the front signals which I was able to install today but they would not turn on. Do you have a bulb in mind you were planning to try?

SlamDunK
03-30-2019, 03:40 PM
If your led's don't light try reversing the polarity.
Take the lamp holder out and swap the connectors.

akabek
03-30-2019, 04:43 PM
The bulbs I used were 1156 but I guess the polarity of the bulb may not match the wiring. I could connect a 12v battery to bulb to check and compare it to the socket.

SlamDunK
03-31-2019, 05:11 AM
Yeah, that'd work if you match the polarity of the bike.
I had to do the same when fitting led headlamps to stop the original bulbs burning the reflector.