PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Tank Cover?

TRAIL BOSS
03-21-2019, 10:38 AM
Hey everyone,

I just picked up a 2013 R model. It's a great bike that will primarily be used for trackdays and the occasional street ride where the S1000XR won't cut it. The problem is its beautiful shade of yellow... definitely not my style. I'm not keen on buying a new tank or painting it, so I started looking at other options and found tank covers at Sebitmoto.

https://imgur.com/EUP81fN

I understand that the tank will be a bit larger due to the overlay, which isn't a problem, but I have other concerns. Hopefully those who have used them can help out here.

Has anyone used them?
Is the cover stable during heavy/track use? I use stompgrips and load the sides of my tank pretty regularly.
Does the cover scratch or mar the OE tank underneath?
Any other generic feedback?

My gut feeling is that this is the cheap way out and I'll pay for it later... but I'm hoping it's that unicorn mod that's actually low-cost and high-value. Thanks in advance!

das134
03-21-2019, 12:36 PM
It’s a no go for me for track use if you are using stomp grip!

It will work but it ruins the feel you want, and definitely can damage the actual tank underneath.

TRAIL BOSS
03-21-2019, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

So... who wants to swap fairings? :cheers:

kcfcycle
03-21-2019, 01:44 PM
Just plastidip the tank. That way it can be whatever color you want, but the paint underneath will be fine.

The only real downside is that plastidip is susceptible to two things:
1) Friction/rubbing will wear it away, but if you have good stomp pad coverage may not be an issue
2) Fuel will discolor and damage the plastidip, but you can easily respray if needed.

You can also do a vinyl wrap which would hold up a bit better - but is more difficult to install.

TRAIL BOSS
03-21-2019, 02:21 PM
I’ve gone the plasti dip route on a previous bike. It lays down well enough, but every leading edge and contact point looked like hell after a trackday.

I might go with a wrap if I can find a reasonably priced installer.

kcfcycle
03-21-2019, 10:01 PM
There is a matte black tank on eBay for less than $300 right now. That seems like a good deal/option. Keep your yellow tank nice and pristine. Granted that you don't mess the black tank up you could probably sell it down the line for around the same or a bit less....probably end up costing less than a tank cover in the long run.

TRAIL BOSS
03-22-2019, 12:21 AM
Great find, thank you!

I'll have to look into whether or not these tanks are susceptible to the swelling issue.

Turbinepilot2
03-22-2019, 12:23 AM
Get a used tank beat up tank and buy a cover. Thatís what I did. The tank cover will scratch and marr the actual tank underneath. I wouldnít recommend it. You could try a bunch of duct tape but it may still get damaged. Get a used tank and you wonít care. Also I use techspec tank grip and love it. Itís nice on your leathers but super grippy.

Turbinepilot2
03-22-2019, 12:24 AM
They will swell. I caswell coated mine and havenít had any issues after that.

TRAIL BOSS
03-22-2019, 12:39 AM
Great feedback. Thanks everyone.