PDA

View Full Version : 2010 RSV4 Factory thermostat

akabek
03-11-2019, 08:06 PM
I just finished mounting the tank after doing a bunch of work on the bike over the winter and I noticed a leak at the thermostat. One of the jobs I did was install Samco coolant lines and replaced all the clamps. Last season the thermostat was not leaking. I just filled the system with coolant two days ago and it has been around the freezing mark. It looks like it is leaking at the seam of the thermostat. Can I repair it or do I need a new one?

akabek
03-11-2019, 08:19 PM
Here is a picture

Cbrsv4
03-11-2019, 08:28 PM
Those plastic units have been known to fail. Theres a gasket inside that can fail or the housing fails itself due to the screws and thermoexpansion of the plastic. I believe theres an solid aluminum version offered from aprilia or if you dont care for it, can easily be bypassed. Take it out, inspect, then decide. I’d get personally get the aluminum version if you need a thermostat or ditch it all together. Best of luck!

akabek
03-11-2019, 09:23 PM
Those plastic units have been known to fail. Theres a gasket inside that can fail or the housing fails itself due to the screws and thermoexpansion of the plastic. I believe theres an solid aluminum version offered from aprilia or if you dont care for it, can easily be bypassed. Take it out, inspect, then decide. I’d get personally get the aluminum version if you need a thermostat or ditch it all together. Best of luck!

Are you maybe talking about the coolant manifold? I just upgraded mine to the aluminum version. I will take a look but I do not recall seeing an aluminum thermostat. Maybe I can remove the cap and apply a sealant at the seam and tighten it back up. It is around freezing so I am not sure if the cold temps may be the issue.

CIAO 70
03-11-2019, 11:44 PM
I have read other threads that contribute the cause of this to the cold weather. The plastic housing doesn't respond well to cold temps apparently. However, i do find it coincidental began after you replaced the hoses. I'd say give everything a good once over. Maybe even apply some sealant between the housing cover an housing.

That'd be the cheapest place to start anyway.

otherwise, i don't know of that housing being available in aluminum or some other material.

akabek
03-12-2019, 08:04 AM
I have read other threads that contribute the cause of this to the cold weather. The plastic housing doesn't respond well to cold temps apparently. However, i do find it coincidental began after you replaced the hoses. I'd say give everything a good once over. Maybe even apply some sealant between the housing cover an housing.

That'd be the cheapest place to start anyway.

otherwise, i don't know of that housing being available in aluminum or some other material.

Not really a coinsidence. When I bought the bike last August it had Water Wetter in it. After putting 2,000 KM on it I noticed an oil leak in September so I stopped riding and removed all the coolant as the cold weather was coming. Over the winter months I did a valve adjustment, installed Samco coolant lines, aluminum manifold, tightened the rear wheel hub bolts, tightened the timing nut behind the flywheel, put new rubber on, new valve covers and gaskets etc. Over the winter months there was no coolant in the bike until Monday night. Last night I turned the bike over with no tank installed so I could get the oil circulating in the engine after doing the valve work. That is when I notice coolant on the right crankcase. Tonight I am going to pull the tank off and probably the air box to get a better look. I can understand the thermostat housing can shrink and leak but I would prefer no leak. I am in Canada and our winters are cold. Assuming it is leaking at the seam of the housing cap but I will confirm. If this is the case I will remove the housing and apply Threebond 1207B sealant which is supposed to be compatible with coolant.

CIAO 70
03-12-2019, 11:28 AM
Sounds like a plan.

Hope the Threebond does the trick.

Keep us posted.

akabek
03-14-2019, 01:49 PM
After removing the thermostat housing and taking it apart I decided to buy a used thermostat on the auction site which I received yesterday. The new/used one I received seems to have a better seal between the housing and the cap. I installed it last night so tonight I will fill the coolant and hopefully no more leak. If it leaks again I will chalk it up to the cold weather and that is just the way it goes.

CIAO 70
03-14-2019, 03:34 PM
Let us know if it fixes the leak.

Thanks.

akabek
03-14-2019, 03:55 PM
Will do but the coldest it will get over the weekend is around freezing so not as cold as it was over the last two weeks. After the weekend it is supposed to start warming up which I am good with. LOL I am ready for spring and no leaks.

CIAO 70
03-14-2019, 06:19 PM
I am ready for spring and no leaks.

Amen brother!

akabek
03-14-2019, 09:28 PM
So I installed the new used thermostat and it was still leaking. I pulled it out and took it apart. I noticed there were deposits around the seal. Than I took apart the original thermostat that I had applied threebond to. With the way the seal seats I was not convinced the threebond sealant would work. I used gasket remover and took all the Threebond out. I gave the housing and gasket a good cleaning with paper towel and reassembled it. Then I zip tied a baggy to one outlet and poored coolant inside. I could still see it leaking at the seem so I took it apart again. This time I went over it with a magnifying glass. At the seam where it was leaking on the main housing I could see something was stuck on the housing. First I tried a plastic scraper but no luck so I lightly scraped it with a very small micro flat screwdriver until it was gone. I also went over the gasket with the magnifying glass and removed anything stuck to it. I reassembled it putting blue loctite on the bolts. I only tighten them so they snug, maybe 8 ft/lbs. When I zip tied the baggy to on outlet and filled it up no more leaking. I installed it back on the bike and while filling the coolant I spent a good 10 minutes squeezing a coolant line to get the bubbles out. So far so good. I am going to follow the same process with the other thermostat I have so it is ready to go in case I need a spare.

Assuming I now have it fixed I am surprised that such a small spec can cause a leak. I think the trick is to get the housing and gasket really clean and just tighten the two bolts snug and not over tighten them.

I will take a look tomorrow morning to confirm.

CIAO 70
03-14-2019, 09:52 PM
Can you identify what the foreign substance was?

Old gasket, dirt, maybe a plastic bur from when it came out of the mold from the factory?

Could possibly use very fine grit sandpaper to get off any residues or particles?

Hope you fixed it.

Tune in tomorrow.

akabek
03-14-2019, 10:10 PM
I have no idea what it was but it was black and stuck to the housing. It took a few swipes with the micro screw driver to get it off and I did not feel it break free.

I know when I took the new used one apart it have a lot of deposits around the seal and housing. I guess in cold weather the plastic housing contracts so deposits can get caught between the gasket and the housing and cause a leak. I am going to give it a good cleaning with the magnifying glass and see if I can find something similar.

akabek
03-15-2019, 02:12 PM
Well so far so good. It seems to be holding up. The temperature is going to drop below freezing over the next three nights but at least if it leaks it will be minor.