PDA

View Full Version : Oil in stator/flywheel case, is that normal?

m1ellison
03-03-2019, 05:57 AM
Hello fellow Aprilians..

So last night I'm installing a new regulator, stator, & flywheel. Battery would not charge and when I tested with multimeter, the voltage wasn't going above 12v. Figured I'd replace both. Anyway, I pull the case cover off and see oil in it. About had a heart attack, but I'm seeing people say this is normal. Is it, or should I get the defibrillator powered up? Posting two pictures.

Thanks

Rockynv
03-03-2019, 07:42 AM
Its part of the oil sump. Counter shaft bearings, seal and drive to water pump wouldn't get lubricated without it.

Look at the machined openings between the inner crankcase and stator along with the opened bearings to confirm that its designed that way.

Be sure to replace the gasket and seal it well using an oxygen sensor compatible RTV sealant.

THUNDR
03-03-2019, 08:15 AM
What year is your bike, how many miles on it? I would recommend the replacement Aprilia kit, looks like your windings cooked like most of the bad stator pics of the forum.

FZ1JOE
03-03-2019, 11:01 AM
That Stator doesn't look too bad . When I changed mine all the coilings were black.

Kennibear
03-03-2019, 12:59 PM
Pickup coil @ 9 o'clock is badly fried. No current is passing beyond that coil. Only takes one to break all the continuity in the stator. Probably took out some of the wires bypassing at the base of the coil too.
Just the stator and not the rotor replaced too?
Notice the open caged ball bearings on the left side of the photo. Oil pours through there to lubricate everything in that side of the engine case. On some Honda's they drill a very small (0.0625") hole into the main oil gallery that jets oil on to the stator up high to add cooling to the coils. Micah may know if it can be done on these engines.

KB

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

m1ellison
03-04-2019, 01:00 AM
If you mean the flywheel I'm replacing it too.

Rockynv
03-04-2019, 08:08 AM
That big vent hole behind the flywheel should be providing plenty of oil to cool the stator. Have you been using the recommended full synthetic oil and doing the coolant flushes every two years to keep it running cool?

Why replace the flywheel? If its not physically damaged such as a loose or missing magnet or out of balance/warped there is little that can go wrong with it.

Kennibear
03-04-2019, 09:21 AM
RockyNV:
Because it's too high of magnetic guasse in the field for the stator and drives too much current through the stator causing it to overheat. The new ones have weaker magnets to fix that.

KN

Rockynv
03-04-2019, 08:00 PM
RockyNV:
Because it's too high of magnetic guasse in the field for the stator and drives too much current through the stator causing it to overheat. The new ones have weaker magnets to fix that.

KN

That sounds like service bulletin material and should be a no cost service to fix a factory defect. Sad though in this day and age with over 100 years experience building moving magnet systems that such an oversight could be made.

Kennibear
03-05-2019, 12:21 AM
If it's electrical Aprilia screwed it up...
IMHO.....

KB

m1ellison
03-20-2019, 11:34 AM
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I figured out it was a wet case when I seen the holes to the engine etc. However, now I have a new issue. After I put in a new regulator, flywheel, and stator the bike runs nicely and the charging system tested good with my meter. Was going to take it for a spin and realized both front and rear brakes were not working. Both going in all the way with no effect. I have not yet started to investigate, but just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas? The bike did sit for about 5 months, but it was started on a regular basis etc. Could this be electrical, or do we think perhaps both need new fluid and bleeding after sitting so long?

m1ellison
03-20-2019, 12:17 PM
@Rockynv

Yeah, once I looked it over I realized it should be wet. As for the flywheel, I kind of wondered that myself, but the RMSTATOR kit I bought seemed to indicate you had to have the matching flywheel. When I took it off I compared them and they looked identical. I probably could have got by without replacing it.

craigo298er
03-20-2019, 06:23 PM
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I figured out it was a wet case when I seen the holes to the engine etc. However, now I have a new issue. After I put in a new regulator, flywheel, and stator the bike runs nicely and the charging system tested good with my meter. Was going to take it for a spin and realized both front and rear brakes were not working. Both going in all the way with no effect. I have not yet started to investigate, but just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas? The bike did sit for about 5 months, but it was started on a regular basis etc. Could this be electrical, or do we think perhaps both need new fluid and bleeding after sitting so long?
assuming there is fluid, bleed the brakes and change the fluid...cheap insurance. fluid should be clear. I always use my Motion Pro mini bleeder (https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0530) and its such a simple job; multiple sizes of that bleeder too

also check the pads...could be that worn out? if nothing works yet, maybe the caliper pistons are seized, but for both the front and rear to do it, I'd suspect a bleed would help it. take some brake cleaner and clean the exterior of the lines & fittings to check for leaks after you change the fluid too.

M. Ellison. Houston....kappa pi sigma much?

Kennibear
03-20-2019, 07:26 PM
Magnets in the rotors are probably the exact same size as there is a limited space for it to operate. But they could have different magnetic flux densities in the field.

KB

Rockynv
03-20-2019, 10:05 PM

How long has it been since the last brake flush? Its supposed to be done every two years regardless of usage so the brake fluid does not turn acidic and eat away at the components from the inside and to get any debris out of the system that can accelerate wear.

At the least a vacuum bleeder such as the MitiVac should be used as you want to get all the corrupt old fluid out without beating up the seals and pistons any further by pumping them however if the fluid has gone acidic then corrosive damage may have already been done to the master cylinder and caliper bores.

You will want to run at least two reservoirs full (more if the fluid looks anything close to maple syrup or black coffee) of clean brake fluid through to flush out any impurities in the system.

m1ellison
03-21-2019, 04:50 PM
Yeah, I have a bleeding kit and the fluid is looking a little dark, so will be bleeding and running good fluid through the lines. It just really surprised me that both were doing the same thing. I have yet to work on the brake system on this bike, so just wanted to make sure something electrical didn't happen. Thanks everyone..

m1ellison
03-22-2019, 02:57 AM
Ok, so I did a complete brake fluid flush and it semi-improved when I did the two calipers, but when I did the top master cylinder area by the handle, wow, that made all the difference and the front brakes work perfectly. However, I went to do the back brakes and I did not see a reservoir tank. I have not taken off the fairing yet to look for one, but I looked on the brake diagrams for parts on the .pdf that RF1 has and I am not seeing a tank or reservoir for the rear brake. I am used to working on a Kawasaki that had one in plain sight. Am I missing something here, or does it run off the front tank/reservoir as well?

plocky
03-22-2019, 03:15 AM
Ok, so I did a complete brake fluid flush and it semi-improved when I did the two calipers, but when I did the top master cylinder area by the handle, wow, that made all the difference and the front brakes work perfectly. However, I went to do the back brakes and I did not see a reservoir tank. I have not taken off the fairing yet to look for one, but I looked on the brake diagrams for parts on the .pdf that RF1 has and I am not seeing a tank or reservoir for the rear brake. I am used to working on a Kawasaki that had one in plain sight. Am I missing something here, or does it run off the front tank/reservoir as well?
You do realise that you have posted in the General MC talk section & have not yet identified the bike you are talking about, even after being asked about it!!https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?349761-Oil-in-stator-flywheel-case-is-that-normal&p=4537143&viewfull=1#post4537143
There are specific sections for bike models on this forum that have all your answers.

Just to save you the agony of researching your problem for the rear M/C, I recognise from your picks which bike you might have & the rear master cylinder is the reservoir. Has a hex head on it & a sight window to the front.
If I'm wrong, blame yourself for not providing enough information. :crowbar:

The fact that you didn't expect oil in the flywheel case shows you don't know much about motorcycle engines.
Interesting, if I rearrange your user name & add a few letters, I get 'I'm the son of a Millennial'. :kidding:

There are plenty of us here to help you, but please provide pertinent information. :)

m1ellison
03-22-2019, 01:22 PM
@plocky Sure there should not be a "c" instead of a "pl" at the beginning of your name? Ha.. "j/k"..

"You do realise that you have posted in the General MC talk section" Yeah, well excuse the heck out of me.. I will try to get it in the right forum! It's "realize" btw.. LINK (http://bfy.tw/MsUC)

"The fact that you didn't expect oil in the flywheel case shows you don't know much about motorcycle engines." Well now Cpt. Obvious, I never claimed to be an expert on the internal workings of this motorcycle engine, hence the reason I am reaching out for help. I could very well be wrong, but don't some bikes have dry cases?

"have not yet identified the bike you are talking about, even after being asked about it!!" You might need one more exclamation point there. Yeah, that's something I sure forgot to do.

"Just to save you the agony of researching your problem for the rear M/C, I recognise from your picks which bike you might have & the rear master cylinder is the reservoir. Has a hex head on it & a sight window to the front." Thank you for that information, I had discovered this last night when looking things over closer. It's "recognize" btw.. LINK (http://bfy.tw/MsUP)

"Interesting, if I rearrange your user name & add a few letters, I get 'I'm the son of a Millennial'. Wow, not even sure how that is pertinent to this thread, but as mentioned earlier, if I simply replace the "pl" with a "c" I get something that seems much more fitting for your profile name. Ha.. "j/k"

"There are plenty of us here to help you, but please provide pertinent information." Yeah, and I truly thank those that have helped and provided good information without all the trolling.

m1ellison
03-22-2019, 01:34 PM
@THUNDR

My apologies, I seen your question and forgot to go back and add the info. This 46 year old "millennial" SMH.. lol, rides a 2016 Aprilia RSV4 RR. Yup.. I still refuse to get the couch on wheels, ha..

Thanks again..

plocky
03-22-2019, 05:20 PM
It's "realize" btw.. LINK (http://bfy.tw/MsUC)

It's "recognize" btw.. LINK (http://bfy.tw/MsUP)

Oh that's right, the rest of the English speaking world use an 's', but some Americans don't know there is a rest of the world. lol.

Click on your links & try scrolling to a link that is not based in the US.

Trolling! chuckle, so much for helping you.:lame:

BTW; there is a trick to bleeding the rear brake & ABS pump, searching for it should keep you occupied for hours. ;)

craigo298er
03-22-2019, 06:33 PM
"You do realise that you have posted in the General MC talk section" Yeah, well excuse the heck out of me.. I will try to get it in the right forum! It's "realize" btw.. LINK (http://bfy.tw/MsUC)

that's an off-colour comment

the rest of the English speaking world spells words ending with -ize as -ise...I've worked overseas for 9 years now and it still kills me the English butcher the English language

plocky
03-22-2019, 08:45 PM
.....the rest of the English speaking world spells words ending with -ize as -ise...I've worked overseas for 9 years now and it still kills me the English butcher the English language
Hahaha, actually I prefer the way the US spell a lot of words, British English can be hard to master.
Reminds me of this supposed letter to the US from John Cleese.
https://starrgazr.wordpress.com/2008/02/15/john-cleeses-letter-to-america/

m1ellison
03-23-2019, 05:18 AM
that's an off-colour comment

the rest of the English speaking world spells words ending with -ize as -ise...I've worked overseas for 9 years now and it still kills me the English butcher the English language

Ha.. that would drive me crazy.. lol..

m1ellison
03-23-2019, 05:29 AM
BTW; there is a trick to bleeding the rear brake & ABS pump, searching for it should keep you occupied for hours. ;)

If you are referring to pulling the caliper and turning it upside down so the air rises and goes out the bleeder nipple.. oops, "teat" for you.. then I did discover that.

Really though, I just don't get the mentality of jumping on a thread of someone that was simply looking for help and making the comments that were made.

Anyway.. moving on...

m1ellison
03-23-2019, 05:40 AM
Reminds me of this supposed letter to the US from John Cleese.
https://starrgazr.wordpress.com/2008/02/15/john-cleeses-letter-to-america/

This was humorous.. love John Cleese. Especially his "How to irritate people". Hmmmmm... :rolleyes:

plocky
03-24-2019, 04:52 PM
This was humorous.. love John Cleese. Especially his "How to irritate people". Hmmmmm... :rolleyes:
Bahahaha, Ok you got me there; since you have a sense of humour (yep that's how we spell it here), you wont get upset when I take the piss out of you again. Will you?

'How to irritate people' is brilliant. I've been watching John Cleese since the early Monty Python Show days, I must have been about ten or eleven, years old at the time watching on my friends 10 inch black & white telly, cause we didn't have one yet. yeah I'm old, actually old enough to be your father

Along time ago I read a book by Jonar Nader that was called 'How to lose friends & infuriate people'.
Best takeaway line from the book was, 'if you want the right answers, first you need to ask the right questions' (or words to that effect).:rolleyes: