PDA

View Full Version : Pirelli SC1/2 Slicks - What size?

ac792
02-25-2019, 10:41 PM
Hi guys -

I bought a fully track prepped 2010 RSV4 factory and it came with a Pirelli SC1 180/60 rear slick.

From my understanding, I should be running a 200 slick. Any idea why the previous owner might have put 180 on the rear? I rode it last season with the 180 and had zero issues, but Iím wondering if I should move to the 200?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MV Rider
02-26-2019, 09:59 AM
I have ridden my RSV4 several times on the track and I always use the 200 which is the proper size for a 6.0 rim. The 180 is sized for a 5.5 rim which is what I use on my 750. The RSV4 has serious power and torque so you want as much rubber as you can get on the ground. The bike was tested and setup for the 200. The only reason I can get why he used the 180 was to save some money. My theory is that tires are cheaper than orthopedic surgeons.

ianofbhills
02-26-2019, 10:16 AM
I rode a 180/60 Pirelli slick on track a few years ago because I had a supply of them cheap. Whilst it may not be correct and proper for my level of ability at the time I couldn’t tell the difference.

rsnet
02-26-2019, 12:08 PM
The standard 2010 Factory wore 190’s back then, they moved up to 200 later on.

Without going into a tyre war, Pirelli 200’s were actually undersized when compared to other makes 200.

anyways, as you know you can run a 180 on there without issues or ground clearance problems, you have a wide choice to choose from to suite your budget

Kiggy74
02-27-2019, 05:39 PM
Cheaper and/or easier to come by.

The 200 is taller which helps with turn in. SC3 is a good choice as well.

Hi guys -

I bought a fully track prepped 2010 RSV4 factory and it came with a Pirelli SC1 180/60 rear slick.

From my understanding, I should be running a 200 slick. Any idea why the previous owner might have put 180 on the rear? I rode it last season with the 180 and had zero issues, but I’m wondering if I should move to the 200?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

ac792
02-27-2019, 05:39 PM
Thanks all. The rear rim is 6Ē, so I may go for the 200 and see how it feels. Iíd rather use whatís best for it than try and save a couple bucks.

motoracerx
02-27-2019, 06:30 PM
Scrap the Pirellis and go with the new Dunlop 200/60 slick, if you're going to the track.....You didn't say if this is a street application or track?

You want a fat tire with quick turn in?....check out this profile....200/60 vs 200/55 ....Dunlops.

ac792
02-27-2019, 06:33 PM
Track only.

I rode the SC1 and absolutely loved the feel of it. Hesitant to switch brands...

Do you have experience on both the pirelli and Dunlop?

das134
02-28-2019, 04:19 AM
Scrap the Dunlops and go with the Pirellis. ��

But fake arguing aside, Pirelli slicks are so good to work with. Easy to set up, easy to change, super grippy and well priced.

Or for the best track day option get the Metzelers. Wider temperature range, super easy to dial in, and fewer compounds to chose from.

motoracerx
02-28-2019, 01:17 PM
Track only.

I rode the SC1 and absolutely loved the feel of it. Hesitant to switch brands...

I do. I raced Daytona in 2010 on pirellis and did not like them.
My rsv4 was was bought race ready ( built by AF1) and set up for pirellis when i bought it. I tried to love the pirellis, i even bought more pirellis, forcing myself to Try and adapt to them, but i just couldnt.

If dunlop didnt finally come out with the 180/60 slick last year (for my 600 and 750’s racebikes), i was gonna try pirellis again.

Triple J
03-01-2019, 03:45 PM

I've raced both, and they're both excellent, so it comes down to preference (riders for both tire brands set track records regularly). I couldn't really tell much of a difference between the fronts. I'm sure if I rode them back to bike with the goal of analyzing the front differences I could, but otherwise nothing jumped out at me.

The rears are where it is easy to tell a difference, but probably only at a pretty brisk pace. The Pirelli sidewalls are a lot softer and you notice it exiting a corner. The rear of a bike with a Pirelli will feel "looser" in comparison to a Dunlop. A little like the rear is stepping out a tiny bit as you initially accelerate. It generally isn't, but it feels that way in comparison to a Dunlop due to the carcass flexing more. When they do step out, they are both very good in my experience - very predictable behavior. Both also remain predictable as they wear, which is important (that was a Michelin gripe a while ago, but no idea if it still is)

I've raced Dunlops for years, mainly because I liked the tire vendor, but the endurance team I also raced with used Pirellis. Like I said, they're both great. Dunlops do seem to wear a little better around here. They're also US made if that's a consideration.

ac792
03-01-2019, 03:49 PM
Thanks all for the feedback! I may have to give Dunlopís a try this year. I just had such great wear and feel on the SC1 last season, that Iím on the ďdonít fix it if it ainít brokeĒ mindset.

With that said - I am going to move to a 200/60 rear as opposed to the 180/60 that was on it last season. Iím guessing I will need to re-baseline suspension?

rsnet
03-01-2019, 05:45 PM
I've raced both, and they're both excellent, so it comes down to preference (riders for both tire brands set track records regularly). I couldn't really tell much of a difference between the fronts. I'm sure if I rode them back to bike with the goal of analyzing the front differences I could, but otherwise nothing jumped out at me.

The rears are where it is easy to tell a difference, but probably only at a pretty brisk pace. The Pirelli sidewalls are a lot softer and you notice it exiting a corner. The rear of a bike with a Pirelli will feel "looser" in comparison to a Dunlop. A little like the rear is stepping out a tiny bit as you initially accelerate. It generally isn't, but it feels that way in comparison to a Dunlop due to the carcass flexing more. When they do step out, they are both very good in my experience - very predictable behavior. Both also remain predictable as they wear, which is important (that was a Michelin gripe a while ago, but no idea if it still is)

I've raced Dunlops for years, mainly because I liked the tire vendor, but the endurance team I also raced with used Pirellis. Like I said, they're both great. Dunlops do seem to wear a little better around here. They're also US made if that's a consideration.

that was nicely put and I agree with it 100% especially the loose comparison.

i would probably add that the ‘drop off’ with Pirelli is also progressive up to a point and then bang there gone, whereas Dunlop continues the dťgressive longer and less pop at the end.

i run in a Pirelli series, and so have not last years comparable references, but this is what I remember.

motoracerx
03-01-2019, 05:47 PM
Thanks all for the feedback! I may have to give Dunlop’s a try this year. I just had such great wear and feel on the SC1 last season, that I’m on the “don’t fix it if it ain’t broke” mindset.

With that said - I am going to move to a 200/60 rear as opposed to the 180/60 that was on it last season. I’m guessing I will need to re-baseline suspension?

Triple J did a nice job of explaining how the pirellis 'feel' to some/to a lot of people. I agree 100% with what he said. The pirellis always made me 2nd guess my suspension setup. You didn't know if the front was making the rear feel like that, or the rear was too soft, etc... I want my rear to feel nice and planted when hard on the gas and exiting a corner.

As far as geometry goes, don't change anything, yet. Put the 200/60 on and see how it feels. It may feel better than before with the 180.

motoracerx
03-01-2019, 06:03 PM
Damn, i also agree with RSNET. :)