PDA

View Full Version : another new TFT dash update 2/18/19

Ed / AF1 Racing
02-19-2019, 11:50 AM
Next time you stop by a dealer on a 2017 and up model, get the update

This update improves the following functions and features:
- key recognition.
- connection between phone and AMP.

The aforementioned operation is considered part of the normal scheduled maintenance required for the vehicle, and must be performed at the same time as other scheduled maintenance operations either during the pre-delivery procedure, for new vehicles, or at the first available opportunity when the vehicle is brought to the service center, in the case of
vehicles that have already been sold and are in use.

prettykin
02-19-2019, 04:27 PM
I'm starting to genuinely loathe Aprilia. I've paid multiple times out of my pocket for Dash, and AMP updates for a bike that's still under factory warranty. All in the attempt to get the bikes systems (AMP included) to perform as they were intended too.

Ed / AF1 Racing
02-19-2019, 05:41 PM
I'm starting to genuinely loathe Aprilia. I've paid multiple times out of my pocket for Dash, and AMP updates for a bike that's still under factory warranty. All in the attempt to get the bikes systems (AMP included) to perform as they were intended too.

call the Customer Care line and see what they say. 212-380-4433 The US Tech Center is in Orange County, CA

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-20-2019, 11:43 PM
I did newest update tonight on bike rolling tomorrow. Dash part took about ten minutes, Ecu error delete and reset (good practice to reset learned trims) about the same, initial idle learning cycle another 10 minutes to populate STFT trims and tomorrow a final recalibrate on APRC though I do not fee this step is REQUIRED. Piaggio pays the dealer $16 on sold bikes and $0 on unsold. I have a LOT of bikes to do in near future, perhaps I’ll make a day or two of it.

CIAO 70
02-24-2019, 11:20 AM

If the bike is under warranty then why are you being charged for updates?

Sounds like the dealer is on bullshite.

???

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-24-2019, 01:28 PM
I’m on both sides of this. I haven’t charged anyone for doing an update yet but, the reality is, best case scenario for me is 39 minutes lost and realistically it’s 57-65 minutes depending on number of PADS connection fails I get. If Piaggio isn’t paying, well not every tech can work for free. It’s not a recall, it’s an update. You don’t Have to get it done. I’m the most self deprecating financially mechanic you’ll ever meet. While a bike is on the lift for whatever otherwork I am doing am adding updates in the background to not be totally inefficient.

simple reality is that the update done proper will take about an hour of someone’s time.

CIAO 70
02-24-2019, 05:26 PM
I’m on both sides of this. I haven’t charged anyone for doing an update yet but, the reality is, best case scenario for me is 39 minutes lost and realistically it’s 57-65 minutes depending on number of PADS connection fails I get. If Piaggio isn’t paying, well not every tech can work for free. It’s not a recall, it’s an update. You don’t Have to get it done. I’m the most self deprecating financially mechanic you’ll ever meet. While a bike is on the lift for whatever otherwork I am doing am adding updates in the background to not be totally inefficient.

simple reality is that the update done proper will take about an hour of someone’s time.

Please pardon my ignorance of what is apparently the norm for Aprilia/Piaggio.

I presumed that having an "update" would be covered under warranty.

No offense to you or any other shops that have to charge their customers for this procedure.

However, I do believe it is pure bullshite on Aprila's / Piaggio's part to have the customer pay for it or at least not reimburse their dealers for the labor to do it.

Thanks.

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-24-2019, 06:07 PM
I too believe it’s bullshit hence I’ve been doing them for free for our customers as time allows. In the past PGA has paid warranty time for updates, some reason I’ve heard the dash update is being considered a 16 minutes job, which I can do in 16 minutes IF everything works perfect with PADS (VERY low chance of this happening) and ONLY the dash is updated. The problem is all dash updates cause error codes in main engine computer, which then must be connected to and cleared. I never bother not doing a handle and throttle re-learn while connected. IF bike has infotainment module after dash is updated each I’ve seen so far have a new map for this AMP module.

My basic order is bench bike, hook up to charger after removing seats and left under seat panel. Then connect special PADS cable to either dash or dash and AMP module, proceed with dash update, then AMP update, then swap cables and connect to main Ecu, update if needed after clearing codes, finish with throttle and handle self-learning. Best time yet out of 5 is 39 minutes without AMP module and 51 minutes with AMP module. These time averages include PADS connection issues averaged over the 5 bikes.

I agree this this is an item PGA should pay for. I also realize not all techs have luxury of being part owner of their shop and many are paid solely based on billable hours. I cannot expect others to do for free what I might do for free or for a pathetic low warranty payment. I’m only providing my perspective here.

amauri
02-24-2019, 08:55 PM
I presumed that having an "update" would be covered under warranty.

Same as what happens when you go to your automotive dealership and ask them to update your car's software just because you heard on the internet that there is a new update, warranty will not cover it and you have to pay.

You must learn to play the game...

Go to your dealer and tell them nothing about an update you heard about.
Describe the issues you are having, if they decide to update your software as a fix for your symptom, then it will be covered under warranty.

If your bike is out of warranty, your dealer should install any updates you request as long as you are getting service work performed on the bike.
Don't expect the dealer to work on your bike for free.

Never update just because there is a new update, don't try to fix it if it isn't broken.

Hellgate
02-24-2019, 09:04 PM
Same as what happens when you go to your automotive dealership and ask them to update your car's software just because you heard on the internet that there is a new update, warranty will not cover it and you have to pay.

Describe the issues you are having, if they decide to update your software as a fix for your symptom, then it will be covered under warranty.

If your bike is out of warranty, your dealer should install any updates you request as long as you are getting service work performed on the bike.

Never update just because there is a new update, don't try to fix it if it isn't broken.What he said, that way the dealership can bill back to the manufacturer. If you don't have any issues there's no reason for an update. Make sense?

There's no free lunch...

CIAO 70
02-24-2019, 09:12 PM

Never update just because there is a new update, don't try to fix it if it isn't broken.

I have never had a dealer charge me for any updates to my vehicle. Maybe automobile dealers get paid a better rate for work such as this. Maybe my dealer doesn't charge me because I have purchased a few vehicles from them as well as take said vehicles in for routine maintenance.

I've never taken my vehicle in for an update "that I've heard about." They've always just checked for updates when I have my vehicle in.

I guess that if I hear of an update to my bike I'll make sure to describe what the issue is to my dealer and hopefully they will update it under warranty.

As for "don't fix what isn't broken" , there must be an issue if Aprilia is calling for an update? If not, then why is Aprilia "updating" it?

To me and this is only my opinion, if there is an update available and to not have it would otherwise affect the performance of my motorcycle adversely then Aprila should perform the update regardless of warranty or not.

It still sucks that Aprilia isn't reimbursing shops at an honest rate for performing updates on customers bikes.

Thanks

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-24-2019, 09:20 PM
Aprilia is not Apple. I totally agree that updates for the sake of updates are worthless usually unless they address a problem you are actually having.

Rvee
02-24-2019, 11:56 PM
Sorry but charging the customer for this stuff when the bike is effectively brand new and under warranty is utter garbage imo. These updates correct the functionality to a state that the software should have been operating at the time of release. I experienced this with the immobilizer requiring a code every key on for several months. That is a broken product.

When I brought it in for the update, I took note of the service record and the dealer wrote up to charge back 2 hours worth of labor to Aprilia. Had to bring it in a second time as the dash and ECU versions were mismatched, incompatible versions and tire calibration was impossible. Another 2 hours charged. If the consumer is getting charged as well that is shady business practices by double dipping.

Maybe the new updates take longer but the update on my bike had it in their hands 20 minutes. If Aprilia refuses to pay, that sucks, but that is the company not standing by their product. The purchase of the bike on the customer end should pay for these updates until the product is at end of life cycle and that system is no longer in use at all. Software dev 101.

As far as the car comparison, I have a 2013 Honda and they recalled in order to get the latest dash software update out to the consumers. Free the last time I got service on a car 3 years out of warranty. I get it, YMMV, but c'mon.

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-25-2019, 12:34 AM
We agree, I only point out the luxury I have as a dealer/owner to do what I consider right by my customers. Our basic corporate ethos at my/our dealership is simple, the mission statement is clear, “DO NOT FUCK OUR CUSTOMERS.”

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-25-2019, 12:36 AM
With emotions on all sides running high, I strongly urge all concerned to voice their opinions to PGA customer care in NYC offices. Please, sometimes your voices are FAR louder than ours.

CIAO 70
02-25-2019, 09:34 AM
With emotions on all sides running high, I strongly urge all concerned to voice their opinions to PGA customer care in NYC offices. Please, sometimes your voices are FAR louder than ours.

Copy that.

Forsyth
03-05-2019, 12:20 PM
So my 2017 has an issue with the key recognition, Ive only noticed it a few weeks ago because usually at first start its not an issue, I ride 1 hour to work and thats it, only noticed it on start stop rides, so I guess its always had it.So if I take it to a dealer all they will do is say it needs this dash update, charge me for it, and theres a chance its not a 100% fix, awesome.

kbs69
03-07-2019, 10:14 AM
Does the new Dash ever cause a problems resulting the bike not being able to be ridden or need immediate updating? I have been thinking for a while about updating my 2012 Rsv4 to a 2017/18 RF but my nearest dealer is a ferry ride and a 5hr drive, the mechanical maintenance doesn’t phase me as I do my own valve services etc. But if my dash Shat itself then I would be screwed!

prettykin
03-07-2019, 04:32 PM
Does the new Dash ever cause a problems resulting the bike not being able to be ridden or need immediate updating? I have been thinking for a while about updating my 2012 Rsv4 to a 2017/18 RF but my nearest dealer is a ferry ride and a 5hr drive, the mechanical maintenance doesn’t phase me as I do my own valve services etc. But if my dash Shat itself then I would be screwed!

In my experience no Dash update (I've had a total of 3 done since 2017) has prevented the bike from functioning. It seems the dash updates of late have been in conjunction with the Aprilia Muliti Media platform add on system (Comes equipped on RF bikes). This system was waaaaaayyyyy! under cooked upon it's initial release and has been a work in progress since the launch of the 2.0 version in 2017. With each update the systems has gotten a little bit better functionality wise. Because it's linked to the Dash with displays infotainment information as well as the connection icons located across the bottom of the screen it seems as if the dash requires updates alongside the actual AMP module to stay in sync.

If you are not buying an RF model and not planning on upgrading an RR model to use the AMP system your not likely to need frequently updates if any. However, on the 2017 - on bikes only the dealer can reset the service wrench icon, but that won't be a factor until the 2nd scheduled maintenance interval around 6000 miles. The icon does not activate for the first 600 mi scheduled service.

kbs69
03-07-2019, 04:56 PM
In my experience no Dash update (I've had a total of 3 done since 2017) has prevented the bike from functioning. It seems the dash updates of late have been in conjunction with the Aprilia Muliti Media platform add on system (Comes equipped on RF bikes). This system was waaaaaayyyyy! under cooked upon it's initial release and has been a work in progress since the launch of the 2.0 version in 2017. With each update the systems has gotten a little bit better functionality wise. Because it's linked to the Dash with displays infotainment information as well as the connection icons located across the bottom of the screen it seems as if the dash requires updates alongside the actual AMP module to stay in sync.

If you are not buying an RF model and not planning on upgrading an RR model to use the AMP system your not likely to need frequently updates if any. However, on the 2017 - on bikes only the dealer can reset the service wrench icon, but that won't be a factor until the 2nd scheduled maintenance interval around 6000 miles. The icon does not activate for the first 600 mi scheduled service.

cheers for the info,

interesting to here about the amp system, and also the RR not needing as I have seen a few big discounts on RR’s

CIAO 70
03-07-2019, 06:07 PM
If you can get a big discount on the RR over an RF then I'd say go for it.

With the money you save over the RF you could probably do the suspension upgraded and have money left over. Don't know about the forged wheels though. Imagine finding a pair or something similar would be pretty pricey.

I preferred the graphics of the RF over the RR which was part of the reason I purchased the RF. However, throw in the Ohlin's and the forged wheels and that cemented my choice.

Personally, the dash update isn't an issue as I don't use the function. However, since it was touted as one of the selling features it should have worked as advertised without all of the updates now necessary.

JMHO.

prettykin
03-08-2019, 02:45 AM
If you can get a big discount on the RR over an RF then I'd say go for it.

With the money you save over the RF you could probably do the suspension upgraded and have money left over. Don't know about the forged wheels though. Imagine finding a pair or something similar would be pretty pricey.

I preferred the graphics of the RF over the RR which was part of the reason I purchased the RF. However, throw in the Ohlin's and the forged wheels and that cemented my choice.

Personally, the dash update isn't an issue as I don't use the function. However, since it was touted as one of the selling features it should have worked as advertised without all of the updates now necessary.

JMHO.

I second that. The AMP has gotten plenty better over the past year or so, but it's still not quite sorted. I've called Piaggio USA a couple of times and motherfu<ked them up and down about the functionality of the system. I specifically asked if they themselves, or someone from the factory in Noale had even bothered to test the system or run it by quality control before releasing this little piece of garbage to consumers.

Forsyth
03-08-2019, 03:36 AM
Im just really peaved off that I spent this much $$ on a late model bike that has faults with the electrics that should have been sorted before aprilia released the model, my next bike might not be an aprilia dealers need to think about this, sort the problem at
NO charge or loose a repeat customer, I contacted my local dealer and was told the dash update was NOT A WARRANTY JOB.

Troy_v
03-13-2019, 07:41 PM
Has anyone noticed that this later software release to have actually fix/improved anything?

CIAO 70
03-13-2019, 11:10 PM
Some say that it has improved/fixed certain aspects the V4MP media platform.

Others not.

Forsyth
03-15-2019, 03:29 AM
My key recognition problem was solved by re-flashing the race map.

amauri
03-15-2019, 09:28 AM
The ECU Race map has nothing to do with key recognition, did you mean to say the "dash firmware update"

Forsyth
03-15-2019, 07:28 PM
The ECU Race map has nothing to do with key recognition, did you mean to say the "dash firmware update"

You are right in that it does not control the key recognition, but it has something to do with the flapper valve control if stock muffler present, and that can cause the input code screen to pop up somehow, so it was probably that and not the key system.

FastR1Red
03-31-2019, 11:54 PM
I've just had the dash firmware update on my '17 Tuono Factory today.
Was there supposed to be a change in the icon from the V4 to the Data Connectivity icon that looks like the "messenger" icon?
There were no changes to my dash icons at all.
What is the version number for the latest dash upgrade?