PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Starting Point - RSV4 RF - 160lb Rider

ChibbMD
02-04-2019, 11:59 PM
Hey folks. I recently replaced my 2012 RSV4R with a new 2018 RF. Definitely a nice upgrade. I just took it out for its maiden version this past weekend and found the existing suspension settings to be really jarring and harsh. I haven't checked to see where they are currently, but was hoping to get a recommendation on a general starting point for someone roughly my size (160lbs with no gear). This is for road use and I typically like my suspension more compliant/comfortable rather than razor sharp.

The factory service manual recommends the following:

Rebound: 12 clicks from fully closed
Compression: 12 clicks from fully closed
Preload: 10 turns from fully open

Just to confirm, I know rebound and compression are clicks to the left after you've turned to full clockwise. Is the preload adjustment the number of turns out after you go fully counter-clockwise?

For the rear they also suggest 12 clicks out on compression and rebound.

I have no idea what size rider they are attempting to accommodate with the factory settings. Anyone care to offer some perspective on a decent starting point for me? I can certainly adjust more myself, but would love to be in the general vicinity to start. Thanks.

GJB
02-05-2019, 12:50 AM
Set preload based on sag. For a comfortable ride go with about 1-1/2" sag

ChibbMD
02-05-2019, 07:39 PM
In the next month or two I'll get a chance to take the bike to my local suspension guru at a track day, but in the meantime I was looking for some general guidance just based on clicks and turns. I know there's no replacement for correctly setting the sag with me on the bike, but I'm fine with a general recommendation at this point. Maybe we can approach this from a different angle - What do you think the target weight is for the factory settings? 175lbs?

TL2Bass
02-05-2019, 08:14 PM
I find that brand new suspension takes a bit of break in time, like a pair of shoes or track leathers. They always feel overly stiff and unforgiving regardless of settings in the beginning. Once I have roughly 500 or so miles down, the suspension seems to open up and tends to respond to adjustments better. Everything becomes more supple and compliant, yet controlled and as directed. Maybe it's all in my head, but it seems the case every time.

plocky
02-06-2019, 08:21 PM
I find that brand new suspension takes a bit of break in time, like a pair of shoes or track leathers. They always feel overly stiff and unforgiving regardless of settings in the beginning. Once I have roughly 500 or so miles down, the suspension seems to open up and tends to respond to adjustments better. Everything becomes more supple and compliant, yet controlled and as directed. Maybe it's all in my head, but it seems the case every time.

Not in your head, I 100% agree with you.

Set preload based on sag. For a comfortable ride go with about 1-1/2" sag

This is a must do for any bike.

In the next month or two I'll get a chance to take the bike to my local suspension guru at a track day, but in the meantime I was looking for some general guidance just based on clicks and turns. I know there's no replacement for correctly setting the sag with me on the bike, but I'm fine with a general recommendation at this point. Maybe we can approach this from a different angle - What do you think the target weight is for the factory settings? 175lbs? There are no cookie cutter settings that you can apply.
Have a look at some Dave Moss suspension tuning vids & you will surprise yourself at how simple it is to get the bike dialed in for yourself.
Set the rider sag F&R & go from there. (make sure you either have all your riding gear on when you do this, or at least hold onto something that ways the same).

here is a start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOWQKPhuv_0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Br-LcnCOWs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obGoMPgiI18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuckR_xHHhY

winwin
02-06-2019, 11:34 PM
I am just gonna hijack this thread since i have the same question. Though mine is a 2013 factory abs. Any advice where to start? I'm around 68kg without gear.

Cacheeoh
02-07-2019, 09:04 AM
One of the most amazing things about my 18 RR is how great the suspension we set up right out of the box for me and I really only street ride. That being said the only adjustment I did is one click left on the rebound on the forks. On the highway, the front was just a bit hard somewhat bouncy, not horrible but one click solved the feeling I was getting. I did try two clicks and it was too soft. I would dial in Rider Sag first. If I was preparing for the track I would target 25mm rider sage from full extension. For the street 30-35mm. When I measured my stock RSV4 I was at 32mm in rear and 34mm in front so I did not bother adjusting anything and I'm about 200 with gear at 5'9 with 30in inseam.

Maciej1230
02-07-2019, 09:10 AM
Start with sag, with all the gear You usually ride (if u commute, wear that backpack with Your stuff), gloves helmet etc.
If you can't get the sag right, or you can't get the free sag, or your bottoming out front or rear with all your pre-load in,
or your using less than 50% of the travel on the suspension - you have to change the springs (stiffer or softer).

Next dial in the hydraulic damping and rebound, if the suspension fluid is old You can find your self out or at the limit of clickers, then change the fluid.
If You got that sweet spot after some tinkering be aware that roughly after 1500km that oil will degrade due to usage an mileage
and those settings (clickers) will have to change 1,2,3 or more clicks depending on the conditions that the suspension had to work under.

PS. Watch all the vids with Dave Moss and understand them, than You'll be good for sure.

vfr1200
02-07-2019, 11:30 AM
I went from stock 0.95kg/mm to 0.90kg/mm on my 2016 Tuono factory.
I weigh 160 w/o gear and just street ride. A lot more compliant, but maybe
not what you want if you are doing track days.