PDA

View Full Version : Check out my valve bucket!!!?

0311GRUNT
01-22-2019, 10:19 PM
So while adjusting valves I noticed just one of my exhaust valve buckets on cylinder 4 was kinda tight to pull out and I started looking at it closely and whatta ya know the thing is splintered on top of bucket!! I mean I totally wouldn’t of expected that and never ran into this!? Anyone ever have a bucket explode on em??? I haven’t looked into getting a new one but hopefully AF1 has one around! I’m gonna check right after this post.

amauri
01-22-2019, 11:05 PM
The valve has been hitting the piston, is this a 2010 engine?

Look down the spark plug hole with a video bore scope before you go any further.

0311GRUNT
01-22-2019, 11:10 PM
Well I totally believe that the valve had to come in contact to punch up through bucket but the thing runs sooo good. I’m gonna leak down cylinder and see what I get

yes 2010. I have not checked crank sprocket nut yet on front bank either. But it sure as heck hasn’t come off yet and the bank was dead nuts in time

amauri
01-22-2019, 11:11 PM
Remember the post last week where you asked what to look for on a 2010 engine?

The sprocket is loose, believe me as I've seen it several times exactly like yours.

0311GRUNT
01-22-2019, 11:13 PM
I had no real valvetrain noise either

0311GRUNT
01-22-2019, 11:14 PM
Alright, so what would be your plan for my situation as I’m hoping I caught it early enough MAYBE !?

0311GRUNT
01-22-2019, 11:16 PM
Remember the post last week where you asked what to look for on a 2010 engine?

The sprocket is loose, believe me as I've seen it several times exactly like yours.

i mean I’d have a hard time believing at this point that valve is seating correctly anymore. But maybe it’s just barely been kissing the piston and might be ok.

0311GRUNT
01-22-2019, 11:30 PM
Amauri so depending on what happens here could I ship you my heads? If you’d prefer I just call your shop I will.
you maybe worried about my crank as well?

amauri
01-22-2019, 11:32 PM
Once you open it up and start inspecting everything, you will probably find that the splines on the end of the crank are worn (like the one in my photo).
You will have to replace all four EX valves on cyl 2 & 4.
Valve job the head and that's just for starters.

Time to start looking for a good used 2013+ engine.

plocky
01-22-2019, 11:54 PM
Ouch!!

0311GRUNT
01-23-2019, 12:23 AM
Once you open it up and start inspecting everything, you will probably find that the splines on the end of the crank are worn (like the one in my photo).
You will have to replace all four EX valves on cyl 2 & 4.
Valve job the head and that's just for starters.

Time to start looking for a good used 2013+ engine.

Amauri my crank sprocket nut is actually torqued to spec and fine!?? The timing was spot on and like I said a couple weeks ago before I tore into it ran as smooth as butter and definitely didn’t lack any power. Is it possible someone fixed this motor in past and overlooked it needing a new bucket!? I mean there’s no way to know that, I’m just being optimistic!

0311GRUNT
01-23-2019, 12:31 AM
Cant leak down test it till I get new bucket for it and put cams back in then I’ll turn it over to TDC on cyl 4 and leak down test it. I’d prefer engine to be warm but can’t exactly run it as is.

amauri
01-23-2019, 09:38 AM
Leak down testing will only tell you if you have a compression loss or not.
Regardless of the test result, you still have a valve (or valves) that have contacted the piston and the head will have to come off.

Even if the test results are good, you still need to find out why the valve hit the piston.
I would remove the timing chain and lower sprocket to inspect, even though you already ck the sprocket nut and found it to be tight.

There is something wrong with the EX cam timing that caused the lifter bucket to fail like that.
Replacing the bucket and adj the valve clearance is not going to fix it.

0311GRUNT
01-23-2019, 09:57 AM
Leak down testing will only tell you if you have a compression loss or not.
Regardless of the test result, you still have a valve (or valves) that have contacted the piston and the head will have to come off.

Even if the test results are good, you still need to find out why the valve hit the piston.
I would remove the timing chain and lower sprocket to inspect, even though you already ck the sprocket nut and found it to be tight.

There is something wrong with the EX cam timing that caused the lifter bucket to fail like that.
Replacing the bucket and adj the valve clearance is not going to fix it.

Im hoping the leak down ends up being 5-10% range in which case I’d assume damage was fixed and bucket never got replaced. Bike used to belong to a race team. From what I’ve seen so far it’s been tore down before. To what extent idk.

If i I end up pulling head can I send it to you for valves/guides etc? From things I’ve heard and seen your the man to trust it with!

0311GRUNT
01-23-2019, 10:00 AM
There’s no slack anywhere in timing chain. Cam dots line up, crank pin fits boss and cam pin slides right. I can’t see how piston/valve are contacting currently. I’m just trying to be optimistic here.

amauri
01-23-2019, 10:06 AM
Do not call me @ 4AM again

Turbinepilot2
01-23-2019, 10:17 AM

[emoji38]

0311GRUNT
01-23-2019, 10:17 AM
And why wouldn’t it be all 4exhaust valve buckets on cyl2 and cyl4? If timing was ever an issue I should of seen bucket issues on cyl 2 and 4. And heard valvetrain probs along with performance issues.

Well in any case more needs to be checked and I’ll post whatever I find.

0311GRUNT
01-23-2019, 10:27 AM

lets not be a hard ass! If it’s your cell number listed than maybe specify! At my shop people can call whenever and leave a message.

amauri
01-23-2019, 10:46 AM
If you want to leave a message, then leave a message thru the PM option.

I gladly share what I know with everyone simultaneously thru this forum, you started this thread and I am giving you free advise that everyone can benefit from. If everyone that needs help with their RSV4 starts calling me like you did... I won't have time to sleep, work or eat.

2010 & 11 RSV4 cyl heads are not worth the cost of rebuilding, and rebuilding only one head is asking for trouble.

0311GRUNT
01-23-2019, 11:07 AM
If you want to leave a message, then leave a message thru the PM option.

I gladly share what I know with everyone simultaneously thru this forum, you started this thread and I am giving you free advise that everyone can benefit from. If everyone that needs help with their RSV4 starts calling me like you did... I won't have time to sleep, work or eat.

2010 & 11 RSV4 cyl heads are not worth the cost of rebuilding, and rebuilding only one head is asking for trouble.

bro I called you as a potential client wanting you to work on my cylinder head and had some questions as to what kinda money we’d be looking at that the forum members didn’t necessarily need to know. All I’m saying is have some respect. Yes your input is appreciated. But your arrogance is not.

0311GRUNT
01-23-2019, 11:08 AM
Not looking to start a war here. Not what I’m after.

amauri
01-23-2019, 11:44 AM
Don't call me bro and don't call a business when you know they are not open, just common sense.

0311GRUNT
01-23-2019, 12:14 PM
Don't call me bro and don't call a business when you know they are not open, just common sense.

umm not sure if your aware that voicemails are used when people aren’t around!? Maybe get rid of yours then!? Your to arrogant for my taste bro! You may be good at what you do but I’ll certainly make due without you.

amauri
01-23-2019, 01:04 PM
...but I’ll certainly make due without you.

Great.
I hope that means you won't be calling me @ 4AM again.

BTW, in the 15 years I've included my phone number on my signature here no one has called me in the middle of the night. You are the first.

0311GRUNT
01-23-2019, 01:36 PM
Congrats! Glad to be your first! Hope it was as good for you as it was for me ;)

wellcraft
01-23-2019, 01:44 PM
lets not be a hard ass! If it’s your cell number listed than maybe specify! At my shop people can call whenever and leave a message.

Poor response, appropriate response would have been to simply apologize for calling at 4 AM and move on.

0311GRUNT
01-23-2019, 01:50 PM
In all seriousness if I knew it was your cell phone I most definitely wouldn’t have bothered you at that hour. But I’ll be waiting for my apology. PM me when you have a change of heart

0311GRUNT
01-23-2019, 01:53 PM
In all seriousness if I knew it was your cell phone I most definitely wouldn’t have bothered you at that hour. But I’ll be waiting for my apology. PM me when you have a change of heart

amauri
01-23-2019, 02:09 PM
It's not my cell phone, I'm retired and work from home.

You really don't have a clue do you?

streebs93
01-23-2019, 02:12 PM

0311GRUNT
01-23-2019, 02:15 PM
That’s not an apology? You seem like an angry man! Really you do! Honestly I feel bad for you. And this is going nowhere like I knew it would . I apologize to everyone having to read all this.

rsnet
01-23-2019, 02:15 PM

0311GRUNT
01-23-2019, 02:16 PM

seriously!! I’m pretty disgusted with him.

photoRotor
01-23-2019, 02:39 PM
Quick recap

You asked for free advice/help............. cheers, that's what this forum is all about.

You got some from THE man, and you clearly don't like it, because it's going to be costly.

You called at a bad time (early, late, while he was eating dinner - whatever).... and can't quite seem to say "hey man, sorry and I really appreciate that you're trying to help".

Is that about it?

0311GRUNT
01-23-2019, 03:16 PM
Quick recap

You asked for free advice/help............. cheers, that's what this forum is all about.

You got some from THE man, and you clearly don't like it, because it's going to be costly.

You called at a bad time (early, late, while he was eating dinner - whatever).... and can't quite seem to say "hey man, sorry and I really appreciate that you're trying to help".

Is that about it?

Only a matter of time till the peanut gallery chimed in so For the record my prob is how he blurted out “don’t call me at 4am” like he’s got Tourette’s and holier than thou! I called his number leaving a message hoping when he got into shop he’d hear it and respond at his liesure. How am I supposed to know it’s his personal line. He just didn’t need to be a dick about an accident on my part. Poor customer service.

0311GRUNT
01-23-2019, 03:17 PM
This thread is done. Pointless drama from here on out

Maciej1230
01-23-2019, 03:39 PM
Well back on topic, finding rsv4 engine won't be easy.
Only 1 on ebay atm.

Can't recommend the seller yet as my 2016 engine is not installed yet im my 2013 bike due to some parts are gonna be changed just to be safe,
but the techs. say after inspection (all went to pices - almost) that all is within the specs.

Can post the results next moth when it's installed and running (hopefully), if Your interested in the engine from that seller.

0311GRUNT
01-23-2019, 04:01 PM
Well back on topic, finding rsv4 engine won't be easy.
Only 1 on ebay atm.

Can't recommend the seller yet as my 2016 engine is not installed yet im my 2013 bike due to some parts are gonna be changed just to be safe,
but the techs. say after inspection (all went to pices - almost) that all is within the specs.

Can post the results next moth when it's installed and running (hopefully), if Your interested in the engine from that seller.

thanks bud, I actually did see that engine but I’m gonna hold out for a newer or at least lower mileage one. Personally I want to get to the bottom of my situation first and just run mine till it’s done done.

DOMT
01-23-2019, 09:42 PM
Hi Amauri . Sorry to drop in on this conversation , but I couldn't see where I could PM you . Anyway a guy that does my engine work for me here in Australia called Dave Ward said you are the man to talk with about the CP High Comp Racing Pistons for my SXV550 . He said you have a set still available for sale . Could you please contact me so we can talk some more about getting them ?

Thanks Amauri

Regards

Dave Oliver

Jeremy556
01-23-2019, 10:32 PM
Hi Amauri . Sorry to drop in on this conversation , but I couldn't see where I could PM you . Anyway a guy that does my engine work for me here in Australia called Dave Ward said you are the man to talk with about the CP High Comp Racing Pistons for my SXV550 . He said you have a set still available for sale . Could you please contact me so we can talk some more about getting them ?

Thanks Amauri

Regards

Dave Oliver
Probably can't PM without a certain amount of posts or time being a member of the forum for spam purposes.

Just give him a call around 8pm... your local time. j/k

Amauri, I'm surprised you don't get around the clock robocalls having your number published to a public site. You might want to find a service that will automatically route calls to voicemail outside of your working hours.

GBsTuono
01-23-2019, 10:39 PM
Its 7:35pm Wednesday evening here were I, and Amauri are. 2:35pm Thursday over there. Just FYI. lol

amauri
01-23-2019, 10:42 PM
Hi Amauri ... Could you please contact me...

I'll try to email you

Amauri, I'm surprised you don't get around the clock robocalls having your number published to a public site...

Like I said on the previous page, no one from this forum has ever called me in the middle of the night before, not in 15 years I've been on this forum. Not even the members who live in a time zone half way around the world.

I can understand that the OP didn't mean to wake me up and just wanted to leave a voice mail.
But what I don't understand is the how he could possibly think that I'm the one who should apologize.

Maciej1230
01-24-2019, 03:23 AM
I can understand that the OP didn't mean to wake me up and just wanted to leave a voice mail.
But what I don't understand is the how he could possibly think that I'm the one who should apologize.

:D Well, You didn't pick up. :D :lol:

Now my 2 bits about that engine. If it was in hands of people who new exactly what they are doing and they raced it, and the engine now is all within specs(chains, sprockets, valves etc.), there is a possibility that during the rebuild before sale the issue was resolved, parts replaced, and that bucket left because they just forgot to replace it - so many other parts that got changed.

Eppy
01-24-2019, 09:24 AM

Wow. :angel:

:whiner:

amauri
01-24-2019, 12:51 PM
The OP called me again today, twice at around 4 - 5AM and left bogus messages about wanting me to work on his Yamaha.

Triple J
01-24-2019, 01:04 PM
Time to block his number I'd say!

PNorris
01-24-2019, 01:58 PM
This dude should be banned from the board.

Diablo1
01-24-2019, 02:25 PM
This dude should be banned from the board.

This, plus something worse that I can’t define yet. I’m sure there are a few clever folks here that can come up with the right “life lesson” for this dude.

amauri
01-24-2019, 02:48 PM
Time to block his number I'd say!

I did that yesterday, thanks.

Unfortunately, because of this one person I no longer answer phone calls that I don't recognize.
If anyone needs to speak to me and I don't answer, please leave a voice message and I'll call you back.

Ed / AF1 Racing
01-24-2019, 07:02 PM
Thread closed...