PDA

View Full Version : 2005 MV Augusta F4 1000S shortly to be for sale at AF1

Micah / AF1 Racing
01-20-2019, 04:30 PM
So in the weirdness of bikes that come to us for service or diagnostics this one arrived from Hawaii last month. Make-run then consign. It was obvious that the VERY common issue of having installed battery backwards was one issue, itís common enough I keep spare diodes in my toolbox. Replaced one relay (same as Ducati 916 item) and two main diodes...fires right up. Oh battery connected correctly too. This early generation of F4 thousands used a system called EBS or Engine Braking System....which is retarded at minimum. What it does is open a massive air valve on the number two cylinder only while over fueling cylinders 2 AND 3. Hence horrific pop and weird vagueness getting back on throttle. Well the bike still wasnít right....on dyno wide open was fine but light throttle was 2 or 3 cylinders running like ass. Another bit of MV oddity is that under 10% throttle they run only on outside cylinders, at idle all 4. So the EBS is a solid state relay, basically a circuit board and a pair of diodes when x-rayed. Hmmmm, more diodes. EBS relay obviously dead.

Went to local MV dealer, was quoted $375 and 10 to 14 weeks to MAYBE get part. Went on www.mvagusta.net (http://www.mvagusta.net) and found a guy in the UK who makes a swap in 27C256 eprom allowing deletion of EBS and full time four cylinder running, full power/logical spark mapping (these things have the dumbest spark mapping Iíve ever seen stock) who for $200 and 1 week transit time. Ordered, installed with a new set of CR9EKB plugs yesterday. Holy shit! The bike may not be cosmetically perfect, but itís running like no other stock-ish MV of its era.

Soon to be available reasonably priced. On dyno to proof it Tuesday, up for sale Wednesday. If youíre looking for a well sorted, 2,500 mile, 2005 MV F4 1000S model, hit up sales@af1racing ASAP!

pics to follow if my phone will allow me an upload!

Micah / AF1 Racing
01-22-2019, 10:10 PM
Bike made it through dyno testing on new eprom and EBS delete flawlessly, rides better than 99% of F4 series bikes out there even with full stock pipes, put down equivalent of 159 bhp even through catalyzer. Rides, well, like it should have when it left the factory 14 years ago! If you have always wanted one, this one cleaned up well and will be priced to sell!

Micah / AF1 Racing
01-23-2019, 10:57 AM
She is quite the looker now. Runs like a bat out of hell too!

JAndrewG
01-23-2019, 12:00 PM
I had an identical bike Micah.

The EBS is indeed odd. At rest and in neutral it would rev quickly and ran fresh (once fully warmed up, mind you).

As soon as you'd click it in gear, it went sluggish.

Merc07 over on the MV forum is a very nice guy from the UK. I had one of his early eproms, but it popped on decal and he hadn't quite figured out how to delete the EBS entirely. I bought an Arrow eprom that I thought would be temporary, but ended up selling the bike before getting one of Merc07's newer eproms.

Another common issue on these early bikes is that the TPS isn't set right at the factory. I dug around and found the OHM resistance spec and which pins on the ECU to test it from. It was something like 375 milliamps maybe? Anyway, same as an early 996 Ducati I think. That made a huge difference.

So with stock pipes and mufflers, the cat-delete mid pipe from Arrow, and the Arrow eprom, mine made 161.78 hp.

159 hp on your dyno is crazy good. That's about 180 on a dynojet!

John

*Edit* Reread your post, 'equivalent' to 159 hp, meaning adjusted to Dynojet numbers. Still, that is very good, and it can't be overstated how much better they run from stock once the fueling, timing, and EBS have been sorted!

JAndrewG
01-23-2019, 12:21 PM
Also remembering that Merc07's chip kicks the fans on earlier. That was another silly issue; once the stock eprom does it, the temp is already running off, often showing 220-230 degrees, and this is in the great Northwest on a 60 degree day.

The stock suspension is awfully stiff, even for me at 190 lbs., but they handle incredibly well. Tight, narrow, planted in high speed sweepers. And that sound. Spin it up to 12,500 revs, like no other bike I've been around.

Had mine up to about 170 plus a little on my favorite desolate piece of road locally, was running out of that straight stretch and backed off. Effortless.

Sigh. I'm getting worked up. Maybe I should call you guys. Maybe not. I haven't been riding much the last few years. Still have the RSVR and Guzzi 1200 Sport. I don't need another bike. I'm sure I don't. :)

John

snikwad
01-23-2019, 12:40 PM
Yeah you do. You miss it. Go ahead and get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAndrewG
01-23-2019, 01:25 PM
Well you're a lot of help snik.

I do, I do, and... no, I really shouldn't.

Damned beautiful piece of work, those. The first ones, '05 and '06, are my favorites. What a design. You can take all the bodywork off the thing, except the front fender, in about 10 minutes. With a glass of scotch in one hand.

I'm going back to work!

John

snikwad
01-23-2019, 09:41 PM
Do it.

Micah / AF1 Racing
01-24-2019, 09:01 AM
Ok, I’ve been passing the MV around the shop and letting employees test-rape/ride....nobody has come back with anything less than a GIANT smile

coolonthecoast
01-24-2019, 09:12 AM
They are/were great bikes, still a classy design from the late Mr Tamburini by modern day standards.

nigelrb
01-24-2019, 09:42 AM
My eyes also pricked at the word 'MV'.

That one looks like a well cared for good example - save for a bit of lacking chain maintenance. I'm sure it won't remain on your shop floor for too long!

As one with a few 1000cc bikes, I still love my comparably ancient 2007 1000R.

stopstaring
01-24-2019, 10:56 AM
Just got done riding around one of the bikes I've always lusted after but never had a chance to ride.
Well, it sure as hell didn't disappoint me and my interest in this bike has grown THAT much more. Definitely a fearsome ride!

I'm one of the sales guys here at AF1 Racing and i can tell you that it's going to be tough seeing this thing on the showroom floor. No sale price established just yet as we're still waiting on the consignee to come in and get all that sorted. But it'll be worth every penny!

stopstaring
01-24-2019, 10:59 AM

nigelrb
01-24-2019, 10:59 AM
Just got done riding around one of the bikes I've always lusted after but never had a chance to ride. . .
Well, it sure as hell didn't disappoint me and my interest in this bike has grown THAT much more.

Gee, if you love it THAT much it might not even make the showroom floor!!;)

stopstaring
01-24-2019, 12:10 PM
Gee, if you love it THAT much it might not even make the showroom floor!!;)

and THAT, my friend, is the problem! :banana:

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-03-2019, 10:45 AM
Well this thread has started snowballing. It seems I’m now the most desired tech for MV Augusta bikes in Central Texas because of the one above. 3 more F4 thousand cc bikes incoming and a 675 just for 10k service. Gonna have to buy my way into an MV tech class soon. Crazy how the internet works. One of the F4’s coming in had the owner visit this week, he asked if it would save him any money to strip bodywork off first...told him if I can’t have it down to airbox and tank plus upper in 2 minutes he can watch me self terminate...and stripped of all parts including nose plastic, tank and airbox in 10 minutes. The MV service thing is getting interesting because you get to make or third-party a LOT of parts. Hoping as a company they get their shit together soon.

laker213
02-03-2019, 12:45 PM
Well this thread has started snowballing. It seems I’m now the most desired tech for MV Augusta bikes in Central Texas because of the one above. 3 more F4 thousand cc bikes incoming and a 675 just for 10k service. Gonna have to buy my way into an MV tech class soon. Crazy how the internet works. One of the F4’s coming in had the owner visit this week, he asked if it would save him any money to strip bodywork off first...told him if I can’t have it down to airbox and tank plus upper in 2 minutes he can watch me self terminate...and stripped of all parts including nose plastic, tank and airbox in 10 minutes. The MV service thing is getting interesting because you get to make or third-party a LOT of parts. Hoping as a company they get their shit together soon.

See? It’s kismet. Time for y’all to be the local MV dealer.

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-03-2019, 02:38 PM
If only it were that simple.

snikwad
02-03-2019, 08:07 PM
Dooooo it. Dooooo it

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-03-2019, 09:38 PM
I actually have a house cat (winter) and full time nice weather vermin eradicating kitty named Kismet. Lol

bullmrkt
02-28-2019, 12:37 AM
Hi Micah! This is Ian, the guy that bought the bike. I just stumbled upon this thread. Reading through this thread makes a lot more sense out of everything I’ve been told the past couple weeks. The EBS-defeating EEPROM is interesting, definitely glad that has been sorted.

For everyone else watching this bike, sorry! But it’s going to a good home. I found a rare MV Agusta/Arrow RG3 exhaust, mid-pipe, and matching ECU in Melbourne, Australia of all places and had it shipped to Micah to install, along with a few other bits and new tires etc. Can’t wait to let this one rip! I’ve been drooling over them since they were new too. It will be in good company next to my ‘17 Tuono and ‘05 749R. Wonder if this or the Tuono will be faster? We shall see...

-Ian

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-28-2019, 08:22 AM
Your MV is tied neck and neck with another service bike for next up on lift...all parts have arrived serious congratulations on the bike man!

JAndrewG
02-28-2019, 01:35 PM
Ian, I hope you're going to love it. As I said above somewhere, I had the same bike. I actually prefer the '05 and '06 1000 S model over the later 1000 R, 312R, and 312 1078R.

Why? A few reasons, the first being that I think this is the best looking and most pure version of the Tamburini design. Also specifically because of the older ECU with an EPROM. So much easier to tune with fueling and timing, and of course- ridding it of the EBS. The later bikes need the MV race ECU to do that, and I think starting with the '08 312R, the midpipe is welded to the header, so to get rid of the CAT you need a full exhaust system. All I had to do was buy a cat-less Arrow midpipe.

If you find the temp running off on hot days, Merc07 on the MV forum can burn you another EPROM that kicks on the fans earlier. This can be very helpful.

The sound of those pipes at full song is a joy. Please report back on the Tuono vs. F4 power. I'm sure the Tuono has more mid range punch, but when the MV comes on upstairs it's pretty intense. I damned near looped mine at redline in 3rd gear once. That's near 120 mph!

Oh, and as I re-read your post, you're getting the Arrow EPROM along with the RG3 cans and midpipe. I ran the Arrow and it's good, but if you want to keep the EBS deleted you'll want to stay with what Micah put in.

Have fun with it!

John

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-28-2019, 01:50 PM
I haven’t opened the box yet to see which eprom is in it, if it’s an Arrow it will keep using the Merc07 eprom as EBS delete is mandatory IMHO. that eprom is adjustable so I’ll only have to move trim pot a little bitty bit.

JAndrewG
02-28-2019, 02:16 PM
Yeah, and as I thought about it, the Merc07 eprom you got probably already has the cooling fans set to come on earlier. He's a real good guy that one.

Don't suppose it'll find it's way back on the dyno? If so, it'd be neat to see the difference between the stock cans with the CAT, and the RG3 with no CAT, both with the same EPROM. I don't think I've ever seen a comparative sheet using the same dyno and operator.

Thanks Micah!

John

bullmrkt
02-28-2019, 02:20 PM
John, I totally agree on the purity of the design and that was a top priority in looking for one of these---it's all about the art with these after all. It seems to be at a nice intersection between the very early 750's and the later 1000's with bits from each: pure aesthetics along with more power and hopefully they worked some of the early bugs out at that point.

I'll report back here in a couple months once I've ridden it a bit. Can't wait! Thanks!

Ian

Ian, I hope you're going to love it. As I said above somewhere, I had the same bike. I actually prefer the '05 and '06 1000 S model over the later 1000 R, 312R, and 312 1078R.

Why? A few reasons, the first being that I think this is the best looking and most pure version of the Tamburini design. Also specifically because of the older ECU with an EPROM. So much easier to tune with fueling and timing, and of course- ridding it of the EBS. The later bikes need the MV race ECU to do that, and I think starting with the '08 312R, the midpipe is welded to the header, so to get rid of the CAT you need a full exhaust system. All I had to do was buy a cat-less Arrow midpipe.

If you find the temp running off on hot days, Merc07 on the MV forum can burn you another EPROM that kicks on the fans earlier. This can be very helpful.

The sound of those pipes at full song is a joy. Please report back on the Tuono vs. F4 power. I'm sure the Tuono has more mid range punch, but when the MV comes on upstairs it's pretty intense. I damned near looped mine at redline in 3rd gear once. That's near 120 mph!

Oh, and as I re-read your post, you're getting the Arrow EPROM along with the RG3 cans and midpipe. I ran the Arrow and it's good, but if you want to keep the EBS deleted you'll want to stay with what Micah put in.

Have fun with it!

John

JAndrewG
02-28-2019, 03:37 PM
Ian,

You might get with 'gotojoe' on the MV forum; he makes a very nice piece of kit for the radiator on the F4, a radiator support rod. It's inexpensive, very well designed, and easy to install. I put one on mine, just as a preventative measure. If you look at the design of the radiator mount, it puts weight on the upper part of the tank. Some folks have had them leak because of this, though I think it's probably more common after a lot of hard use.

Take care, and give some input when you've had some time to run that thing!

John

Micah / AF1 Racing
02-28-2019, 08:56 PM
It will be going back on dyno, after pipes but before tires...then it will be done. I MIGHT get to start it Saturday. Ian, definitely follow up on that bracket, that’s the exact one I was describing and I promise it’s way cheaper to buy than build.

bullmrkt
03-01-2019, 05:20 PM
Micah, I PM'd "gotojoe" on the MV forum and asked for a bracket---I'll let you know when I know. Should be fairly easy to install at anytime though? Those fairings look like a snap.

JAndrewG
03-01-2019, 05:32 PM
Ian,

I thought I'd seen the RG3s, midpipe, and ECU for sale, and found them.

The ECU won't work on the earlier F4 1000s. It'll be one for an '07 or '08 1000R / 312R. Those newer ones don't use a removable EPROM.

But no matter, the one Micah got will work great. You could probably resell the one with the kit and recover some of your expenses.

And yes, that radiator support bracket is pretty easy to install. And as Micah said, the fairings come off in about 2 minutes. No allen wrenches, just Dzus fasteners.

John