PDA

View Full Version : Backfiring 13 rsv4f

waah954
01-15-2019, 10:06 AM
Bike seems to be backfiring alot.
If I rev in neutral to 6-8k rpm or if I ride around the street and get the revs above 5k rpm I get alot of backfiring, now I do love it but should I be worried, is there anything that needs fixing...

Info below incase that helps anyone explain why this is happening.

I have a akrapovic slip on (no idea if I have link pipe) and if that makes any difference,
loaded/unlocked the race map and set the flapper valve to an open position.

As always thank you in advance for sharing your expertise.

[emoji847]

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

winwin
01-15-2019, 10:47 AM
My 2013 has a lot of backfiring with the gp2r exhaust, but after flashing the race map, the backfiring is gone and it just crackles now which is nice.

Gabro
01-16-2019, 02:19 AM
it's the normal behaviour of the fuel cutoff and enginge brake reduction logic used in that model/race ecu map. don't worry.

SK-RSV4
01-16-2019, 04:18 PM
Not on my RSV4 (which is just perfect in every way !) but I do have an annoying backfire on my 2016 R1 with full Akrapovic on deceleration (I have Woolich racing software), I have tried to cure this by taking away / adding fuel, reducing ignition advance, all sorts ! but all I do is move it around a few hundred RPM, so after a little investigation it seems having disabled fuel cut to allow me to set engine braking combined with a race exhaust without baffles and CAT I am allowing extra fuel into the engine and air to be drawn back into the exhaust without silencing (apparently you do get small amounts of backfire on stock exhausts but the baffling suppresses it)
I have also been told it is not detrimental to the bike, just annoying !
I would still like to cure it though !!!!

My 2017 RSV4 RF has Akra tailpipe (cat removed) with Aprilia race map and fuels excellent - throttle response is sublime in comparison to the R1 - I wish I could get the R1 anywhere near as good as the RSV4

Rino S
01-16-2019, 06:30 PM
Been chasing this problem on my 14 RSV4 for over 6 months now.

since race ecu install the bike always poped and crackled on overrun, but after a year or so it just stopped doing it.

My last attempt was to write another same map to see if that would change it back. And was I in luck, it was back but only for 200km.

Sometimes after disconnecting battery it all comes back but only for a few key off rides. From all I have read on this forum some bikes do and some don't. Kind of annoying when it comes and goes.

Then again it is Italian

Gabro
01-17-2019, 12:46 AM
@rino you problem could come from the lambda probe. remove it.

Gabro
01-17-2019, 12:49 AM
it's the normal behaviour of the fuel cutoff and enginge brake reduction logic used in that model/race ecu map. don't worry.

here an othe exhample, my race bike uses an even more aggressive ecu logic in this... those banging and popping are completely OK.

https://youtu.be/dfjrwAJs9ns

1216bertha
01-17-2019, 05:49 AM
Gabro,

What's the status of this exhaust, will ever be available in the states!!

waah954
01-17-2019, 05:55 AM
You think fuel makes a diffrent I use 95 octane I have 91 and 98 available in Australia.

Gabro
01-17-2019, 01:02 PM
Gabro,

What's the status of this exhaust, will ever be available in the states!!

that's an other project that is killing me... silencer kit for 17+ headers (both RSV4 and TuonoV4) is almost ready, i should get some fixing brakets prototypes by next week.
i hope to be ready to sell it by late february

Rino S
01-17-2019, 05:57 PM
@rino you problem could come from the lambda probe. remove it.

Gabro did you mean completely remove probe and bung it up because I have had the lambda disconnected for 12 months now. Never had it connected when I loaded the last map.

I read in one post about #4 cylinder injecting a little on overrun on the TV4 with race map. Mine feels that way when its popping but then it stops.

I still feel the throttles coming back coasting down the big hill but all quiet.

Very strange it can change at key off or battery disconnect. Mine was not like yours, that's wicked.

I went to order the bung and washer off af1 but the freight was over the top,

ciao, very nice bike

waah954
01-17-2019, 06:15 PM
Gabro did you mean completely remove probe and bung it up because I have had the lambda disconnected for 12 months now. Never had it connected when I loaded the last map.

I read in one post about #4 cylinder injecting a little on overrun on the TV4 with race map. Mine feels that way when its popping but then it stops.

I still feel the throttles coming back coasting down the big hill but all quiet.

Very strange it can change at key off or battery disconnect. Mine was not like yours, that's wicked.

I went to order the bung and washer off af1 but the freight was over the top,

ciao, very nice bikeWhat does the lambda do and what's the reason to remove disconnect it?

Rino S
01-17-2019, 11:12 PM
What does the lambda do and what's the reason to remove disconnect it?

With race mapping no need to have lambda or exhaust flap and SAS. In std mapping lambda will send constant readings (rich / lean) to trim fuel table at cruise and part throttle.

In race map (open loop) this signal is not needed as the map has its own algorithm (look up table) as I understand, but..

From what I gather the ecu will still use signals from the lambda if it is still connected.

Yours may be already disconnected, you might need to remove sprocket cover to check connector.

waah954
01-17-2019, 11:22 PM
It wouldn't be disconnected as I haven't done it, so should still be there.

So is it recommended to be discounted?
Will check it out, by the way what's SAS