PDA

View Full Version : Key getting stuck in ignition

Uncle Will
01-10-2019, 11:18 PM
So as of lately my key won't come out of the ignition in the lock position. Happened for the first time 2 rides ago. I parked the bike, got off, went to take the key out and it wouldn't budge. Felt like i could've broken something before it would've came out. So i twisted it in every position to see what happens. When turned one click left (off), the key comes out but then the handlebars aren't locked. Turn it again (handlebars locked), and the key will not come out for anything. Turn it left one more time(the front parking light comes on), it comes out??? I left the handle bars unlocked the first time because i was leaving it in my garage. The second time, i was out so i left them unlocked while i ran an errand. The last time, i thought i had the bars locked and the key came out, came back about a week later and the battery was completely dead! I F**king accidentally had the light on. Has this happened to anyone before? I didn't want to spray with WD-40 or go to dealer without some advise first. 18 RR if that matters

Thanks

Uncle Will
01-10-2019, 11:50 PM
Sweet, maybe i'll try that if i can't get it to act right... Second question; should i buy a new battery or can i recharge the dead one at like Autozone or O'Reily's for free? Bike has 1200 miles and is 4 months old.

plocky
01-11-2019, 12:20 AM
Plus 1 on the powdered graphite, I use it all the time in motorcycle locks.
It will solve your key sticking problem.
It is not of dealer or warranty concern, it is part of user maintenance that is expected for the upkeep of your bike.

Yeah, hmm, the battery having been flattened once & being quite young, should recover with a proper charge, but don't expect it to last as long as it could have, had it had not been discharged & left for a week.
Keep an eye on it if you want to prevent being marooned.

I keep my motorcycle batteries on a tender between rides & it really makes for longer life in my opinion.

VEE4
01-11-2019, 03:46 AM
Definitely graphite powder, don’t be tempted to stick WD40 or anything like that in there, it’ll just make it worse.

dtich
01-11-2019, 04:53 PM
+1 graphite. +1 battery should recover with a nice long recharge cycle (overnight at least).

also, did you try moving the handlebars a little bit back from the far left locked position when the key is stuck, might free it?

michaelrc51
01-11-2019, 05:13 PM
I would urge you not to use graphite. Graphite works great but, as soon as any fluid like water mix with it it gums up everything.

Get a silicone lubricant, spray a small amount in the keyway. Work your key in and out a few times while holding your thumb on the face of the cylinder. This will lubricate the tumblers and works fine. The silicone lubricant will stick around for a while. Don't spray a whole bunch, you don't want it getting into the switch underneath the cylinder.

Your problem could be that it just needs a bit of lubricant. However, it could also be that a tumbler is bent and not sliding properly. Basically if you have a deep cut next to a shallow cut on they key, the tumbler for the deep cut "traps" the key as you try to pull the key out. If you have trouble removing the key make sure it's in the correct position and then hold the face of the cylinder as you pull the key out.

I am a Locksmith by trade, don't do much locksmithing now and haven't worked on car/ truck/ motorcycle cylinders in years. Graphite creates more of a mess inside the cylinder, I would highly advise to everyone not to use it.

Uncle Will
01-11-2019, 06:37 PM
^Thanks for the advice. I will wait for a few more people to chime in before I do anything. I dont ride much around this time anyway. Too cold in the good spots

Uncle Will
01-11-2019, 06:41 PM
also, did you try moving the handlebars a little bit back from the far left locked position when the key is stuck, might free it?

Yea man, that was the first thing I did. I spent about a half hour trying all positions and nothing. I even turned the bars as much as I could to either side and slowly pulled the key at every movement. Later today I’ll mess with it and see what’s up.

plocky
01-11-2019, 06:59 PM
I would urge you not to use graphite. Graphite works great but, as soon as any fluid like water mix with it it gums up everything.

Get a silicone lubricant, spray a small amount in the keyway. Work your key in and out a few times while holding your thumb on the face of the cylinder. This will lubricate the tumblers and works fine. The silicone lubricant will stick around for a while. Don't spray a whole bunch, you don't want it getting into the switch underneath the cylinder.

I am a Locksmith by trade, don't do much locksmithing now and haven't worked on car/ truck/ motorcycle cylinders in years. Graphite creates more of a mess inside the cylinder, I would highly advise to everyone not to use it.
Well thanks for the advice, I've been using graphite for 40+ years with no issues, I also don't use it more than necessary or use any more than needed to free up the lock, but as you are a professional, you get to see the results more than the average person, so I'm willing to give silicone lube a go, as I conveniently already have some on the shelf.:)

michaelrc51
01-11-2019, 07:33 PM
Well thanks for the advice, I've been using graphite for 40+ years with no issues, I also don't use it more than necessary or use any more than needed to free up the lock, but as you are a professional, you get to see the results more than the average person, so I'm willing to give silicone lube a go, as I conveniently already have some on the shelf.:)

Glad you've been able to get by without any trouble.

I'm just trying to help, since I have a bit of experience with this.

Lol, I really hope you're joking with your last comment.

plocky
01-11-2019, 10:01 PM
Lol, I really hope you're joking with your last comment.
What? I said 'shelf' not 'self'. lol

Seriously I do have some on the workshop shelf; I use silicone grease on tap o-rings when I do plumbing repairs around my property & I also have silicon spray lube I use on car door hinges.
I just never thought of using it for lock barrels, I'm not sure it was even invented when I fixed my first jammed lock.
So next time my wifes Ducati has the key stuck in it, I will try a little silicon lube spray.:)

Uncle Will
01-11-2019, 10:56 PM
Tampered with the key today when I was removing the battery and everything was fine??? Didn’t ride it today and every time I had an issue it was right after a ride. Maybe something to do with heat/cold or vibration. Will check after a ride once I get my battery back. Hopefully I don’t have to put anything in a new ignition.

michaelrc51
01-12-2019, 12:16 PM
What? I said 'shelf' not 'self'. lol

Seriously I do have some on the workshop shelf; I use silicone grease on tap o-rings when I do plumbing repairs around my property & I also have silicon spray lube I use on car door hinges.
I just never thought of using it for lock barrels, I'm not sure it was even invented when I fixed my first jammed lock.
So next time my wifes Ducati has the key stuck in it, I will try a little silicon lube spray.:)

Lol. I wouldnít replace it with the Jergens.

Ok. I would be careful about switching to silicone spray if youíve already used the graphite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

michaelrc51
01-12-2019, 12:19 PM
Tampered with the key today when I was removing the battery and everything was fine??? Didnít ride it today and every time I had an issue it was right after a ride. Maybe something to do with heat/cold or vibration. Will check after a ride once I get my battery back. Hopefully I donít have to put anything in a new ignition.

No, that wonít have anything to do with it. If your key is getting stuck, thatís a mechanical issue with the cyl or itís binding against the steering lock.
It may be just how you pull the key out when youíre sitting on it as opposed to off the machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro