PDA

View Full Version : rear tire recommendation?

raykor
11-16-2018, 02:42 PM
The back tire on my 2018 Shiver went flat last night. I don't feel comfortable riding on a patched tire so I'm going to replace it.

Should I just go with the same brand and model that shipped with the bike or does someone have a better recommendation?

I don't do track days so looking for a more touring focused option.

Thanks.

Ray

IndelibleInk
11-16-2018, 05:36 PM
I fitted a 190/55 to my 750 and love it. I might try a 190/50 next to see if it feels as nice, because then my hugger will fit again...

A 190 is way more tyre than my 750 needs, but the way it sits on the 6" rim makes for much more enjoyable handling compared to a 180/55. It's less overkill on the 900, purely based on the extra torque.

dadsafrantic
11-16-2018, 06:54 PM
The back tire on my 2018 Shiver went flat last night. I don't feel comfortable riding on a patched tire so I'm going to replace it.

Should I just go with the same brand and model that shipped with the bike or does someone have a better recommendation?

I don't do track days so looking for a more touring focused option.

Thanks.

Ray

i've used a ton of tires in the last 5 years or so. stick with the oem size. they do engineer them that way. i just put on avon spirits on the mana. really nice handling tires. if you ride your tires down to the end i'd skip the pirelli angel gts. they get scary thin in the middle and handling gets wonky. michelins are good but stiff. 4's more than 3's. haven't tried the 5's. avon 3d are great for length of life but are so so vague handling. metzler roadtecs are really good too. all the tires i have mentioned i have owned and ridden on the capo rain or shine. they've all done well or better in the rain. i'm not much of a knee dragger but ride a lot of commute miles. just my opinion.

IndelibleInk
11-17-2018, 06:14 AM
The non-travel-pack Capo takes a 190/55 as standard on the same wheel as the Shiver 900, which instead has a 180/55 as standard. The Mana is 180/55, on the old split-5 design that the 750 Shiver initially had.

The 6" rim width common to all those bikes is excessive for the Shiver, but it's a cost saving measure. A 180 stretched over this wheel tends to have a flattened profile, which is not great for most touring rubber, because it's already usually pretty flat. Something with a more aggressive profile might fare better in the smaller size. There is a reason Aprilia engineered a 5.5" wheel for the 750 Shiver partway through its production, but again, it was probably not economical to keep that up for a low volume bike on a dead-end platform.

On a similar note, Ducati fitted a 190/50 tyre to the 916, but most owners prefer the feel of a 180/55 on its 5.5" rear rim - this wheel size carried forward as far as the 999, where 180/55 (or rarely 190/55) is generally still preferred over the 190/50 spec'd as standard. So the OE spec is not always "best", it's usually just the most convenient based on various competing factors, of which "engineering" is not necessarily primary.

If you're not bothered by / about the steering / handling feel, then almost any tyre will certainly be fine.

hawkster01
11-17-2018, 07:25 AM
I'm running the pilot power 2ct on my DD 900. It feels great and hope it lasts longer than the 3500 mile Dunlop oem tire. It's stock size.

raykor
11-20-2018, 11:57 AM
Thanks all. I went with a pair of Michelin Pilot Road 5s in stock size.

Spraetter
05-28-2019, 01:56 AM
What can you say about the PR5's after 6 months of using them?