PDA

View Full Version : Dorsoduro 900 Temperature Sensor/Cooling Fan

JBCanada
09-13-2018, 11:52 AM
Hello all,

Was wondering if any of you in the south have had issues with your cooling fan not operating when you need it. I was on a trip in August touring around central Canada during a heat wave. The ambient temperatures were over 35 C (95 F) and was in stop and go traffic when I noticed that my temperature gauge would not go past 3 bars on the TFT display (halfway mark). Normally in stop and go traffic the temperature gauge will hit the max 5 bars and the cooling fan will kick in and bring it down to three bars and shut off even on cooler days. I did notice that the bike began to idle a bit rough as well. I got it out on the highway and the bike was running normally again. I noticed this problem for the next three days (all with high ambient temps of 35 C 95 F or higher). When the ambient temperature decreased and I got into stop and go traffic the cooling fan and temperature gauge started to operate correctly again. I have put a lot of miles on it this season...this problem happened with 9000 miles/15000 kms on the bike and I have put another 2000 miles/3500 kms on it since then with no issues. Initially I thought a temperature sensor had failed or a switch but I find it very strange that it would start operating correctly again if that was the case.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Almost the end of the season up in the north hear and I will be taking the bike to the dealer for 20000 km valve adjustment and service soon. I plan on bringing this issue up with the dealer as well.

Cheers,

Jason

hawkster01
09-15-2018, 07:05 AM
Hi Jason, no problem here but I have only been running 90 degrees or cooler. My fan comes on in traffic at 4 bars and cools bike to 3 bars.

IndelibleInk
09-15-2018, 08:45 PM
Did you notice a change in fuel economy?

JBCanada
09-15-2018, 08:57 PM
Pretty tough to tell...most of the time Im pushing the bike very hard and dont get good mileage due to that...when Im touring it seems the same...what is your concern? Injector or piston damage?

JBCanada
09-15-2018, 08:59 PM
Ya thats what mine is doing now and did prior to the high ambient temp...wondering if the high ambient temp caused my temp sensor to fail but very strange it would start operating correctly again

IndelibleInk
09-16-2018, 06:14 PM
Maybe something simple like an air intake temperature sensor not quite operating correctly.

JBCanada
09-16-2018, 06:47 PM
Im thinking more likely the coolant temp sensor as the gauge on the tft display would not go past 3 bars when it should have been at max...either way im surprised its working again...usually when a temp sensor fails it fails for good

IndelibleInk
09-17-2018, 08:04 AM
They're both reasonably easy and cheap enough to replace, and "partial failures" are certainly possible.

You could check for any stored error codes, they might fester for a bit before throwing a service light as the fault develops.

Desert Sky
09-18-2018, 10:53 PM
On my Shiver 900 the coolant temp gauge will start blinking and the red overheat light will turn on, when I'm stuck in traffic. Granted, it only does this when it's above 110F outside, but it still bothers me. Once I get moving again it stops blinking overheat and cools off. The fan is working fine on mine too.

I guess this V90 twin engine generates a ton of heat and combined with the desert, the little radiator can't keep up.