PDA

View Full Version : Tail of the Dragon

SOUKABEAST
05-08-2018, 11:59 AM
Do you guys do annual Deal's Gap trips? Was curious because a couple of my buddies and I usually go in October.

tireatr
05-08-2018, 12:25 PM
^ looking good mang! We've found better roads than TOTD, but it's fun if you can get a clean run and no cops. Buddy of mine got pulled last year for 55 in a 35. He is fast on the track but usually goes 10 over on the road. Cop was standing at the roads edge motioning riders to pull into the pull off area and giving them tickets. Cops says he has been trained to visually gauge speed and the local courts back him. It's all BS so I stay away. Do enjoy the resurfaced NC 28, and the other Gems in the area.

SOUKABEAST
05-08-2018, 01:09 PM
^ looking good mang! We've found better roads than TOTD, but it's fun if you can get a clean run and no cops. Buddy of mine got pulled last year for 55 in a 35. He is fast on the track but usually goes 10 over on the road. Cop was standing at the roads edge motioning riders to pull into the pull off area and giving them tickets. Cops says he has been trained to visually gauge speed and the local courts back him. It's all BS so I stay away. Do enjoy the resurfaced NC 28, and the other Gems in the area.

Thanks man and hell yeah! Figured I'd use Tail of the Dragon as the topic because everyone knows where that is, lol. We venture out a little ways as well. My personal favorite is Devil's Triangle, super fun but my friend went off on his RSV4 Factory last year.

Sburke1
05-08-2018, 01:25 PM
That place is a circus.

Too many squids, and drivers crossing the double yellow.

SOUKABEAST
05-09-2018, 08:41 AM
That place is a circus.

Too many squids, and drivers crossing the double yellow.

Yeah I've noticed that, usually on the weekends huh? Whenever I'm down there I usually go super early in the morning or at night.

Sburke1
05-09-2018, 09:43 AM
Yeah I've noticed that, usually on the weekends huh? Whenever I'm down there I usually go super early in the morning or at night.

Super early it's generally fine, and same with late at night although you really have to be careful with animals.

The roads all around there are great as well, it's just something I try to avoid these days due to all the idiots.

SilverBandit
05-09-2018, 11:49 AM

28 from Franklin to that gas station and 64 from franklin to Highlands are two of my favorite roads in the country, especially after the resurface. 28 from old hell benders to 74 is also a great ride, I am not a fan of 129 because of all of the cops and other traffic on it.

SilverBandit
05-09-2018, 11:54 AM
Do you guys do annual Deal's Gap trips? Was curious because a couple of my buddies and I usually go in October.

I ride with a group that stays in Franklin, NC. We go up a couple of times a year to do some riding and one of our number comes from the twin cities. Hes planning on coming down to ride in the fall of you maybe want to get up with him. Trip is planned for the 30th ot Sept through 7th ot October.

Flyboy08
05-09-2018, 01:03 PM
I much prefer the surrounding roads rather than totd....but it's a fun run when you catch it right :)

matttthemingus
05-09-2018, 01:28 PM
I went last year in July. The group i go with tries to go back every other year.

phlip
05-09-2018, 03:55 PM
I enjoy going up there. I like to go on week days. Here is a photo of me and my Guzzi on the Dragon. I need to get some photos of my Aprilia there.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad200/pdc1300/BREVA%20AT%20DEALS%20GAP_zpsq7ahzgbt.jpg (http://s935.photobucket.com/user/pdc1300/media/BREVA%20AT%20DEALS%20GAP_zpsq7ahzgbt.jpg.html)

Pro69ss
05-09-2018, 04:31 PM
Iím going up that way for the first time with my local riding group first week of September and staying in Suches . Iíve riden a lot of Va mountains but some how never made it to the dragon . Will be 2 RSV4ís and a couple R1Mís and a few other sporty go fast bikes!. Iíll bring the Ducati for a backup bike !

CIAO 70
05-10-2018, 12:23 AM
I enjoy going up there. I like to go on week days. Here is a photo of me and my Guzzi on the Dragon. I need to get some photos of my Aprilia there.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad200/pdc1300/BREVA%20AT%20DEALS%20GAP_zpsq7ahzgbt.jpg (http://s935.photobucket.com/user/pdc1300/media/BREVA%20AT%20DEALS%20GAP_zpsq7ahzgbt.jpg.html)

Bamn! Be careful.

Drag too many hard parts too hard and say goodbye.

CIAO 70
05-10-2018, 12:25 AM
I much prefer the surrounding roads rather than totd....but it's a fun run when you catch it right :)

Cherohala Skyway

GA 60 south to Suches

Richard Russell

:peace:

phlip
05-10-2018, 07:32 AM
Bamn! Be careful.

Drag too many hard parts too hard and say goodbye.

That was a fun day! When the center stand would drag, it would unload the rear tire a bit and it would start drifting out. I'd press hard on the outside footpeg and it would reign it in. The rear tire had scuff marks all the way over onto the edge of the sidewalls.

CIAO 70
05-10-2018, 09:32 AM
That was a fun day! When the center stand would drag, it would unload the rear tire a bit and it would start drifting out. I'd press hard on the outside footpeg and it would reign it in. The rear tire had scuff marks all the way over onto the edge of the sidewalls.

I'd imagine.

Glad you didn't end up with scuff marks on the side cases! LOL

G2G
05-10-2018, 09:52 AM
I go with a bunch of friends from around the country and some of them are locals like the one recording here. I am up front and my friend mike who is from florida is in the middle. We do a supermoto rally twice a year. We go on a tuesday-thursday when traffic is light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1W6DAreA18&t=3s

8nthatk
05-10-2018, 08:28 PM
Anyone up for Deals Gap/NC 28, or, Devil's Triangle, or ?? E. TN/NC/KY this Saturday? Let's ride! rice9028@bellsouth.net

CIAO 70
05-11-2018, 12:33 AM
I go with a bunch of friends from around the country and some of them are locals like the one recording here. I am up front and my friend mike who is from florida is in the middle. We do a supermoto rally twice a year. We go on a tuesday-thursday when traffic is light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1W6DAreA18&t=3s

Nice vid.

Those supermotos have to be a blast to ride at Deals Gap!

What's the hp and weight numbers on those things?

G2G
05-11-2018, 09:57 AM
Nice vid.

Those supermotos have to be a blast to ride at Deals Gap!

What's the hp and weight numbers on those things?
60hp and 280 pounds give or take