PDA

View Full Version : 3 screws that hold powervalves in

phil
03-16-2003, 11:23 AM
3 screws that hold powervalves in---- I've taken the cover off and the spindle, i just need to get these three scews undone so i can slide out the powervalves.

but how the hell do i get them undone! Is there a special technique? I've got an impact driver but i cant use it because the engines still in the bike.

They are in so tight i've already done the head of one of them, they seem to be made of cheese.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Phil

phil
03-16-2003, 11:40 AM
ok, i just had a quick search of the forum, and it seems like i am going to have to use an impact driver...sh*t!

looks like i'll have to remove the engine from the bike!!
if this doesnt work and i strip the heads, what other methods can i use to remove them without damaging the powervalves.

cr*p, now thats 3 different engines i'll have in bits

crazyr1
03-16-2003, 02:32 PM
I had the same problem. While cleaning out the gunk I wanted to take the power valves out to clean them but the screws are in so tight that in the end I gave up. I tried an impact screw driver but its just not possible insitu.

Not sure you need to take the engine out - just take the heads off.

Good luck.

Stu Jones
03-17-2003, 01:22 AM
You should be able to get an impact driver on them in situ. The top cylinder you need to remove the radiator and the bottom cylinder you need to raise the front a couple of feet. Put the bike on a paddock stand then put the front on somethig nice and strong about two foot high.
If you can't get them out then you need to remove the cylinders and take them out either with a small chisel (Try to turn them with the chisel) or drill them out very carefully and retap the holes.

Joe250
03-17-2003, 01:40 AM
www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcn...crews.html (http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcnuts/stuckscrews.html)

I experienced the same problem. I later removed the entire engine and took care of them then. You could just remove the cylinders though.

By the time I got the impact driver, I had already stripped the screw heads pretty bad, so I used the revers drill bit extracters by hand. Worked like a charm.

When you put the engine back together, you might consider replacing the screws with allen-head bolts. Whatever you do, coat threads with hi-temp grease and don't over-tighten. :cool:

Joe
www.joe250.com