PDA

View Full Version : Oil change/diagnostic

frgnfst
04-26-2018, 12:30 PM
Going in for my first initial oil change and they want over $220 US for it. They tell me it's to run all these diagnostics?! Are they full of shit or legit. My first gen '98 Vmax I did myself and just don't want to pooch my warranty....Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Frodo
04-29-2018, 02:38 PM
I let the dealer do the first oil change and then did everything else myself. The price seems steep. However, they SHOULD check the bike all over for loose bolts, connectors, etc. I would expect them to connect the bike up for diagnostics to see if there are any error codes. These are the things that could go wrong, so that was my reasoning to get them to do the first (minor) service.
I would haggle on the price though.

nz_mana
04-29-2018, 03:36 PM
The first service on my 900 cost $NZ 290.00 by the dealer

Cozman
04-30-2018, 06:46 AM
I received my Shiver 900 on the 5th of April - on the 13th it went in for the standard 600Mile first service.
Change of oil, oil filter, check all nuts/bolts, top up fluids (needed a bit of coolant), chain clean, relube and tightening as well as a full bike wash.

whole deal set me back 76 Euro inclusive of 19% VAT.

bit confused about the diagnostics part....they hook up the bike to their systems to check for faults/errors every time it goes in - either its recorded a fault or it hasn't .....its not as if they are redoing a PDI or a Dyno test...

Frodo
04-30-2018, 02:54 PM
The fuelling on these bikes and some other functions is driven by the onboard computer reading outputs from a range of sensors. SOmetimes there are problems with the sensors or even just a temporary miscommunication, some of which you might not notice. These are stored as fault codes and can be read by a diagnostic machine (or something like GuzziDiag that you can get online). They may also upload a newer map if available. SO it would make sense that a new bike would be hooked up at the first service.

Just checked, my first service cost $NZ 240, so $US 220 is not much more and EUR76 seems cheap.
But then my dealer used a genuine Aprilia filter ($40!) and gave me 300ml extra oil for free (which I had to remove!).

frgnfst
05-01-2018, 06:19 AM
Frodo what would you recommend for oil and filter type?

Frodo
05-01-2018, 03:56 PM
I use Penrite (an Australian brand) semi-synthetic 10W-50 and change this every 5000km. I use a HiFlo HF565 filter that is changed every second oil change.
I live in a temperate climate. Rarely goes below zero and above 35 degrees C - I ride all year round. You may chose a thinner oil for winter conditions than the 15W-50 that is recommended. This is why I choose a 10W-50.
But ask 5 bikers about oil and you will get 5 different opinions.

ceetee
05-05-2018, 01:37 AM
The first service on my 900 was $386.50 NZD, I think I might have been a bit ripped.