PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Oil suggestion, 2013 Factory road-use

yobrevar
02-11-2018, 10:00 PM
Hi All,
I live in Perth, Western Australia.
I have a 2013 Rsv4 Factory, for road use only (as our only race track band amateur racing years ago).

I have been trying to source the genuine Agip\Eni i-Ride racing 5w-40 oil for my bike.
But have just been informed by the local Aprilia service agent, that they don't have a distributor available to source these oils and recommend a Castrol oil.

I've contacted Agip (4500km's away) directly, but they advise they are out of stock and it would normally cost $30\Litre. That's $120 just t
To change the oil in the bike.

So that leaves me unable to ride till I can service the bike.
Can you guys recommend an alternative oil to safely use.

Thanks,
Gordy.

plocky
02-11-2018, 10:22 PM
new Aprilia now come with Castrol POWER1 5W-40 or Castrol POWER1 10W-40.

I'm using the Castrol POWER1 5W-40, mostly road with some track days, seems good.

http://www.piaggiogroup.com/en/archive/press/piaggio-group-and-castrol-reach-global-agreement-supply-lubricants

kadracing
02-11-2018, 10:42 PM
I use Motul 300V. I get it in 20 litre drums. as long as you use a good quality oil will the correct weight you will be ok

Satanic
02-11-2018, 10:44 PM

Coleone13
02-12-2018, 12:06 AM
Shell Rotella T6 is what I decided to use for my 600mile service.

murphc13
02-12-2018, 12:38 AM
I use Motul 300V. I get it in 20 litre drums. as long as you use a good quality oil will the correct weight you will be ok
Somebody quoted on the forum a little while back that 300V is a short life oil.
Is this true?Anybody know.Or forum BS?

plocky
02-12-2018, 01:04 AM
Somebody quoted on the forum a little while back that 300V is a short life oil.
Is this true?Anybody know.Or forum BS?
Your memory is good.:)

It was amauri, http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?323268-First-Oil-change-(-Warranty-)&p=4112508&viewfull=1#post4112508

& here http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?323268-First-Oil-change-(-Warranty-)&p=4112908&viewfull=1#post4112908

& while it is probably correct, I would say that most racing oils, no matter what brand, are designed with the expectations of it being changed at short intervals, as the high rpm track usage produces loads on bearing surfaces & clutch plates that creates more engine deposits & the higher running oil temps shear the multigrade oils which reduces their efficiency.

So you have to keep an eye on your oil & your usage, then change accordingly.
Just use a quality brand & make sure it meets your engine manufacturers specifications.

murphc13
02-12-2018, 02:21 AM
So would it be better to use a non racing oil for road only use?
7100 in the motul range is 100%Synthetic also I believe.
Is the oil that Aprilia recommends for their road;) bike similar to 300V?
ie is eni oil a longer lasting oil for a bike used on the road?

plocky
02-12-2018, 02:31 AM
So would it be better to use a non racing oil for road only use?
7100 in the motul range is 100%Synthetic also I believe.
Is the oil that Aprilia recommends for their road;) bike similar to 300V?
ie is eni oil a longer lasting oil for a bike used on the road?

You missed this bit. ;)

So you have to keep an eye on your oil & your usage, then change accordingly.
Just use a quality brand & make sure it meets your engine manufacturers specifications.

murphc13
02-12-2018, 03:01 AM
How silly am I eh:).

antarius
02-12-2018, 04:42 AM
Motul 7100 or Castrol Power1 is what I use.

If they didnt have either, I'd use any quality 5-40.

Darth Vader
02-12-2018, 06:33 AM
This will probably attract some negative coments but...
in last 6 years I use Motul 300V 15w50 in hundreds of bikes with oil change interval 5000 km and have no problems whatsoever...only benefits....some customers under the infuence of this forum and other readings went towards 5w or 10w but only for one oil change, than they came back to 15w50
5w 40 seems to thin at 40 degres enviroment...

Few bikes which are running on Yamalube 4R 15w 50 ( recomended for R1) at 20k service showed perfect engine condition even some of them has been heavily ridden on the track...

That is my 5 cents...

antarius
02-12-2018, 11:30 AM
Makes sense for when it's super hot.

plocky
02-13-2018, 03:36 AM
This will probably attract some negative comments but...

It shouldn't, your comments are valid for high temp climates.
Unfortunately, Aprilia does not give a climate adjusted oil spec, even though most other manufacturers do.

in last 6 years I use Motul 300V 15w50 in hundreds of bikes with oil change interval 5000 km and have no problems whatsoever...only benefits....some customers under the infuence of this forum and other readings went towards 5w or 10w but only for one oil change, than they came back to 15w50
5w 40 seems to thin at 40 degres enviroment...

Few bikes which are running on Yamalube 4R 15w 50 ( recomended for R1) at 20k service showed perfect engine condition even some of them has been heavily ridden on the track...

That is my 5 cents... Yes, however I notice you use 5,000km interval, not 10,000km as suggested in Aprilia maintenance schedule.
I personally don't think oils can do 10,000 km without being degraded enough to increase wear rate of major components.
My personal interval is 5,000km maximum for road use only, for track use only 500km, for mixed usage somewhere inbetween.
You can tell when the oil is spent when checking the oil level, it is very dark, smells off & should be changed.

Makes sense for when it's super hot.
Absolutely! Yes it does.

Viper1
02-13-2018, 01:31 PM
I use Mobile 1 10w30 in all my bikes without issues! In fact switched my 2010 RSV4 as I ran the Motul 10w50 as they required and couldn't find neutral so I switched to what the other bikes had and now can actually find Neutral...some times..:P) Raced for years with Mobile 1 without issue......This thread will open Pandora's box....LOL

antarius
02-14-2018, 09:32 PM
It certainly can open Pandora's box - but it shouldn't.

Run an oil that meets or exceeds the expectations that's Aprilia sets in the user manual. Also realize what the engineers designed the bike for and if you are using it for something other than that, adjust accordingly.

Example: If you race, or ride in very dirty areas, or are constantly riding in super super hot areas, you may want to consider adjusting the weight of the oil, the length between changes, and whether you run full synthetic, blend or Dino oil.

In general though, for almost all of us who ride these bikes in standard operating ranges and in an expected manner -- find an oil that meets the specification and makes you feel happy about it. That could be Dino, blend, ester synth, mobil 1, Motul, rotella, Castrol etc etc etc.

For me I like the smell of Motul 7100 and I like a true ester base synthetic that is affordable. 7100 meets these specifications for ME and the manuals specs for an oil. So it's what I run.

My commute bike is a 48HP Honda - it gets Honda's GN4 basic-as-fuck engine oil because that's what the manual asks for and I ride the bike exactly as it was designed to be ridden.

paulmm600
02-15-2018, 12:21 AM
I've always changed my oil every 2000km.

Anyway read somewhere from someone who seemed to know what he was talking about that if you're doing trips less than 10 miles or in stop start traffic halve your change intervals. Sounded like good advice, not much use to me of course, i can't afford to do it more often and keep buying full synthetic and changing filter every time :)

And on a lighter note i was talking to a harley rider about oil changes and saying i like to change the filter everytime to get the old oil out, he said he runs the engine until all the old oil is pumped out. :)

wristpin
02-15-2018, 12:28 AM
Shell Rotella T6 is what I decided to use for my 600mile service.
If you live in Australia or New Zealand, do not use shell rotella, they changed the formula for Australia and New Zealand, and its not good for your motor.

Satanic
02-15-2018, 12:53 AM
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=976070&d=1397169607&thumb=1

plocky
02-15-2018, 02:13 AM
If you live in Australia or New Zealand, do not use shell rotella, they changed the formula for Australia and New Zealand, and its not good for your motor.
Not quite right, we don't actually get Shell Rotella, we get a similar Shell oil - Shell Helix ultra 5w-40 (http://www.shell.com.au/motorists/oils-lubricants/helix-for-cars/helix-fully-synthetic/shell-helix-ultra-5w-40.html) full synthetic that meets all specifications for our bikes except JASO MA - JASO MA2 specifications, these specs are for engines with wet clutches sharing the engine oil & if you choose an oil that does not meet the JASO spec you may end up getting clutch slip, however it wont hurt your engine.
On the flip side of that is that they may not have bothered including that spec or testing for it here in AU NZ due to it not specifically being a motorcycle engine oil, but that doesn't mean anything will happen to your clutch. I ran it for 7000 km & have no clutch problems even at track usage. I have now switched to Castrol Power1 on Aprilia recommendation as it's easier to get for me locally at a good price.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=976070&d=1397169607&thumb=1
Absolutely, lol.