PDA

View Full Version : How loud is too loud?

motolust
01-31-2018, 11:15 PM
OK- I love the sound my SC Project makes. It's amazing. But..... It's to damn loud for me. Without ear plugs its murder. I feel like an asshole riding it on the streets - on the track is another story. When I start it I feel bad for my neighbors. So- I've been putting the stock can on when i want to be mellow for the occasional street ride- I know its not great for the cat (with Race ECU)- who cares- anyway..... I've heard the Akrapovic slip on is less insane? Anyone want to trade? I'm all for liberating some of that glorious Pavarotti but when I'm not on the track I just don't enjoy making all that racket- not to mention every time I pass a cop I fully intend to be pulled over- hasn't happened yet thank god... I usually pull the clutch in and let the bike idle as I pass- Thats the last thing I want to worry about on the street.

So in summary...

My SC Project is to loud for me even though I love it and it looks so damn sexy.

Is the Akrapovic that much quieter or just throatier?

If it was a race/track only bike I wouldn't be having this issue - but as I ride about half and half its an issue.

Anyone want to trade?

boofhead187
01-31-2018, 11:17 PM
OK- I love the sound my SC Project makes. It's amazing. But..... It's to damn loud for me. Without ear plugs its murder. I feel like an asshole riding it on the streets - on the track is another story. When I start it I feel bad for my neighbors. So- I've been putting the stock can on when i want to be mellow for the occasional street ride- I know its not great for the cat (with Race ECU)- who cares- anyway..... I've heard the Akrapovic slip on is less insane? Anyone want to trade? I'm all for liberating some of that glorious Pavarotti but when I'm not on the track I just don't enjoy making all that racket- not to mention every time I pass a cop I fully intend to be pulled over- hasn't happened yet thank god... I usually pull the clutch in and let the bike idle as I pass- Thats the last thing I want to worry about on the street.

So in summary...

My SC Project is to loud for me even though I love it and it looks so damn sexy.

If it was a race/track only bike I wouldn't be having this issue - but as I ride about half and half its an issue.

Anyone want to trade?

350568350569At the track on the weekend I got to hear an SC like yours full song, and yes I thought way too fkn loud.

There was another guy with an Akra and it was too quiet I thought. I have an Arrow GP and it's in between the SC and Akra, I think it's perfect.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

chris_wheeler
02-01-2018, 12:32 AM

So in summary...

Anyone want to trade?

hey if you wanna sell it let me know!

Triple J
02-01-2018, 12:45 AM
I have an Akra full system, and I think it's a good volume. Sounds great too. Like you, I feel like an ass on the street with too loud of a bike.

motolust
02-01-2018, 12:52 AM
I have an Akra full system, and I think it's a good volume. Sounds great too. Like you, I feel like an ass on the street with too loud of a bike.

- I'm going to look into the Akrapovic. thx!

das134
02-01-2018, 03:35 AM
The SC Project Oval is a good option too. Louder than the Akra but not silly. And cheaper.

snikwad
02-01-2018, 10:57 AM
I had a AR GP2R and it was a good bit louder than my current shortened Akra.

The shorty cans have a Open can sound that you simply do not get from the akra. The only time my akra sounds like the AR is when I have the link pipe on with no can. Lol.
The akra is throatier and has a slightly deeper, smoother tone. Them shorty cans sound like you can hear all the way to the combustion changer. Just this loud rambunctious nasty roar from the depths of the V4.
I like both honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sonny112
02-01-2018, 11:18 AM
I have a loud set of Termis on my Duc street bike and never feel bad about it being deafening. I always wear earplugs and couldn’t care less about my neighbors—I rent and I’m not subject to HOA BS, thank god. I don’t run it before 7AM or much after 10PM though out of basic respect.

I also have a full system Akrapovic on my RSV4 and it’s certainly more quiet than I would like, but know it gives the best performance, so I’m OK w/ it.

Viper1
02-01-2018, 01:21 PM
I have a brand new Austin shorty on my 2016 RF I'll trade ya! Not as loud as the SC from what I'm told! let me know!

dcboy
02-01-2018, 01:38 PM
I have the Akra slip with dB killer removed and it’s fairly loud but tolerable. I ride on rural NY upstate roads and the cops just don’t care about noisy exhaust. Last season an Aprilia got gas at the same time, had the sc and when he started it I almost dropped the hose. I visit LA frequently and my friends with loud pipes never ride in the city as most assuredly they will get a ticket. One lives near the Hollywood Bowl, coasts down the hill and immediately onto the freeway and out to the Crest. Rides his Vespa in town. Get a PBA card.

paulmm600
02-01-2018, 02:17 PM
Sounds like you should keep the SC for the track and get a pre loved akra, or save up for a new one. AF1 i'm sure come across pre loved ones. The Akra is great on the street with the removable baffle removed, no need for earplugs, just a nice note to it.

Proctologist
02-01-2018, 02:45 PM
Some people say that .. "loud pipes save lives".

To each their own, but it does tend to attract a lot of unwanted attention.

horns
02-01-2018, 08:39 PM
How loud is the SC Project compared to a Panigale with full Akra and no baffle? I'm on the fence about getting the SC Project because I'm worried it will be too loud. The Duc with full Akra is about as loud as I'll go.

boofhead187
02-01-2018, 08:46 PM
How loud is the SC Project compared to a Panigale with full Akra and no baffle? I'm on the fence about getting the SC Project because I'm worried it will be too loud. The Duc with full Akra is about as loud as I'll go.As mentioned earlier, I heard an SC wide open on the track the other day, and with 3 or 4 other bikes all on the straight he was the only thing you could hear, it's obnoxiously loud.

Personally if you have 1500 Bux to blow on a slip on get the Akra, or for 1/3 the price you can get an Arrow GP which is louder and more throaty than the Akra but not as loud as the SC.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

agusta02
02-01-2018, 09:12 PM
Way too loud, certainly over in Aus, I had one on for 30 sec and that was more than enough time to convince me its too crazy loud. Fantastic looks and great welding - but too loud!

hac
02-02-2018, 02:36 AM
Does anybody know if the SC Project S1 or the SC Project Oval come with a removable db killer ?

comfysofa
02-02-2018, 03:43 AM
Yeah - ive had both SC project and Akra on both my RSV4 and my z1000 - totally agree the sc project looks lovely but sounds (on both) way too loud. The akra even on a full system on my rsv4 and a full system on my z1000 both with baffles out both pass the MOT here in the UK - plus....they make a much better noise...loud, but not too loud...

TainoWarrior
02-02-2018, 11:06 AM
I can vouch that SC project is a loudest exhaust out there when I ride with a group my bike attracts the most attention it really loud.

marcodarq
02-02-2018, 11:29 PM
Pm me, we might be able to work something out on a trade.
marco

Bruce M
02-03-2018, 04:14 PM
Went with the Arrow Gp on my Tuono and got the additional DB killer with it. Obnoxious with it out and about the same as the Akra with the killer in. Plus, I like the look of it much better. JMO but I find the Akra and others like it just too bulky with the tiny rear of the bike. Measured the overall length against the stock muffler and the Arrow is only 2" shorter so it shouldn't lose much mid compared to the real shorties. With the DB killer I have the best of both worlds. For regular street use, nice but tolerable sound. Then I take it out for track days or charity rides with the Harley set. Nothing pisses the HD guys off more than having a bike that's louder, and better sounding than theirs.lol

CIAO 70
02-03-2018, 06:29 PM
Nothing pisses the HD guys off more than having a bike that's louder, and better sounding than theirs.lol

LOL

Had that same experience with my 1198 Duc.

Between the Leo Vince's without the DB killers and the dry clutch rattling they didn't know what to think.

It was even better when I would blow by them with the exhaust screaming!

Actually startled quite a few of em.

LOL

motolust
02-04-2018, 12:23 AM
Pm me, we might be able to work something out on a trade.
marco

PM'd you.

motolust
02-04-2018, 12:25 AM
Went with the Arrow Gp on my Tuono and got the additional DB killer with it. Obnoxious with it out and about the same as the Akra with the killer in. Plus, I like the look of it much better. JMO but I find the Akra and others like it just too bulky with the tiny rear of the bike. Measured the overall length against the stock muffler and the Arrow is only 2" shorter so it shouldn't lose much mid compared to the real shorties. With the DB killer I have the best of both worlds. For regular street use, nice but tolerable sound. Then I take it out for track days or charity rides with the Harley set. Nothing pisses the HD guys off more than having a bike that's louder, and better sounding than theirs.lol

I agree about the size of the Akra- its the 1 thing that kept me from it first go around- I think the SC is the nicest looking hands down- gorgeous build quality. However - I am a function over form guy 90% of the time so I may just go with what was really designed for the bike and get the Akra. Don't the DB killers mess with back pressure?

motolust
02-04-2018, 12:32 AM
The SC nailed the aesthetics for sure- I think it compliments the geometry and silhouette of the bike perfectly- Any pictures of you guys' exhaust (arrow GP etc) ? Does shortening the Akra change the flow/curve and how did it alter the sound? Did it make it much louder? I've seen some pictures and noticed AF1 offers shortening service for that big old Akra.

murphc13
02-04-2018, 02:07 AM
The SC nailed the aesthetics for sure- I think it compliments the geometry and silhouette of the bike perfectly- Any pictures of you guys' exhaust (arrow GP etc) ? Does shortening the Akra change the flow/curve and how did it alter the sound? Did it make it much louder? I've seen some pictures and noticed AF1 offers shortening service for that big old Akra.
Id imagine shortening could get your warranty voided.But could be wrong.
Might depend on where you are.

JNG
03-18-2018, 02:29 PM
The American SC Project distributor sells replacement silencers. The SC Oval Race uses the same link pipe so you could just buy an Oval Race Silencer for the street and use the CR-T for the track. 10 minutes to switch back and forth.

ryanbellb
01-19-2019, 12:28 PM
Loud noise causes an issue of hearing. Some of them are using loud silencer for their motorcycle. It causes hearing problem too.

snikwad
01-19-2019, 01:06 PM
Loud noise causes an issue of hearing. Some of them are using loud silencer for their motorcycle. It causes hearing problem too.

Earplugs. They work.

RSV4forlife
01-19-2019, 01:49 PM
I wear earplugs but had to buy an arrow with dB killer for the track

. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190119/34c6a08ba1acba0a700fd41b3d99a594.jpg

Mikey007
01-19-2019, 06:24 PM
2014 Factory w/slipon373497

Viper1
01-19-2019, 07:24 PM
I wear earplugs but had to buy an arrow with dB killer for the track

. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190119/34c6a08ba1acba0a700fd41b3d99a594.jpg

I have the same exhaust on my 18 Tuono and it's considerably quieter then my SC but still louder then my AR.....(I have several v4's LOL)

mastro1
01-20-2019, 08:53 AM
373509 Arrow gp