PDA

View Full Version : new to Rsv4's....couple questions.

TNTramair
01-22-2018, 04:54 PM
greetings all. i am the proud new owner of a 2017 rsv4 rr. this is my first Italian bike...untill this point ive owned nothing but japs. currently still also own a R1.
the rsv4 is bone stock so in keeping my tradition with not being able to leave well enough alone, let the modding begin!! so my questions, and please forgive my newbness as im not too familier with whats what in the aftermarket world for aprilias.

whats everyones opinions on slip ons? which company?
will it need to be flashed or need a new "race ecu" for slip ons?
any other mods you guys like to do?
any trouble areas and mods to repair such areas?

any opinions or suggests are greatly appreciated!

cheers!

MamboItaliono
01-22-2018, 04:59 PM
My opinion is there are about 100 of these exact posts, so I would recommend reading what others have posted before and making the decision that best fits your preferences

Search function will help a lot

TNTramair
01-22-2018, 05:18 PM
damn...my first post and already getting my hand slapped by the search police.

andyandtherman
01-22-2018, 05:27 PM
damn...my first post and already getting my hand slapped by the search police.

That response is atypical on this forum, which is one of the reasons why I like it here so much. People helping other people, even if it means typing the same thing a few times...

Congrats on your new scooter! Whether you get a full system or a slip on is obviously up to you. I have no need for a full system, so went with the Austin Racing slip on GP2. I like the looks, sound, and the weight savings.

No matter if you get a full system or a slip on, you absolutely will need a Race ECU so you don't cook the valves. AF1 sells them. That's where I got mine, as well as the bike.

The other mods are whatever you are into. I got rid of all of the emissions plumbing so the bike would be lighter, but more importantly, run cooler as I live in a very hot climate. The other obvious for me was to get rid of the huge rear fender, get some crash guards, etc, etc.

Have fun!

MamboItaliono
01-22-2018, 05:35 PM
That response is atypical on this forum, which is one of the reasons why I like it here so much. People helping other people, even if it means typing the same thing a few times...

No it's not lol - go look at any oil, tire or exhaust post

Rsv4jamie
01-22-2018, 05:42 PM
If you go for ackra from aprilia you get an unlock code for ecu

brooklyn86
01-22-2018, 09:33 PM
There is a lot of information on the forum but here are some brief responses to your questions. Not all exclusive but just to get you started.

greetings all. i am the proud new owner of a 2017 rsv4 rr. this is my first Italian bike...untill this point ive owned nothing but japs. currently still also own a R1.
the rsv4 is bone stock so in keeping my tradition with not being able to leave well enough alone, let the modding begin!! so my questions, and please forgive my newbness as im not too familier with whats what in the aftermarket world for aprilias.

whats everyones opinions on slip ons? which company?
Austin Racing, SJ Project and Akrapovic are the most popular.

will it need to be flashed or need a new "race ecu" for slip ons?
Race ECU or OpenFlash Tablet (flashed existing ECU) is necessary for any aftermarket slip-on. If you purchase the Akrapovic slip-on, I believe you receive a code to unlock your existing ECU, not requiring the purchase of the Race one -- like mentioned above.

any other mods you guys like to do? Everyone is different but some common for the RR are: V4-MP unit (standard on the RF, allows you to connect electronics to bike/dash), dropping 1 tooth in the front, protection (frame sliders, axle sliders, etc.), tank guard, taller windshield, etc. There is a posting named something like, "What have you done to your RSV4 today?" that should give you more ideas.

any trouble areas and mods to repair such areas?
I don't know too many 'trouble' mods. There is a recall recently announced that affects your front brake master cylinder you should take care of.

Ride the bike, see what you want different/customized, and search on this forum and you'll probably find an answer. Some mods that one person cares about another one wouldn't (e.g. softer Tuono seat, quicker throttle, etc.).

Aside from this, have the suspension adjusted for you and have fun!

any opinions or suggests are greatly appreciated!

cheers!

paulmm600
01-23-2018, 04:31 AM
Simple answer -
http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/default.asp

Have a browse of their website, apart from being the site sponser, they're the best, i've had jap and italian bikes and bought alot from the states, these guys are by far the best i've delt with. Any questions still after responses on here and viewing the website, give them a ring, they're very knowledgable.

TNTramair
01-23-2018, 07:56 AM
for you guys that actually answered my stupid questions, thank you very much.

There is a lot of information on the forum but here are some brief responses to your questions. Not all exclusive but just to get you started.

very informative...thank you. i have alot to learn about this thing and im hopefull i can gain some knowledge on this site.

TNTramair
01-23-2018, 10:26 AM
that v4-mp unit...would that be this item?

CIAO 70
01-23-2018, 11:11 AM
350021^^^^^^

Yes.

You MIGHT have to make sure your bike is updated with the most current software for it to work properly.

I just purchased a 17 RF model. I added slip on (with RACE ECU), pegs and levers which are an aesthetic as well as functional upgrade.

I also added carbon fiber heel guards as well as a rear hugger but those are purely aesthetic. Oh, and a tail tidy.

TNTramair
01-23-2018, 12:50 PM
^^very nice!

andyandtherman
01-23-2018, 07:22 PM
No it's not lol - go look at any oil, tire or exhaust post

I did , and that's how I became acquainted with my bike. I posted questions on all of the above. While there's redundancy, there's also the new guy that got his dream bike... we can all relate to that. In that spirit, I'll repeat myself as those before me did when I asked all of the same questions. Enthusiasm is a good thing.

TNTramair
01-24-2018, 07:48 AM
I did , and that's how I became acquainted with my bike. I posted questions on all of the above. While there's redundancy, there's also the new guy that got his dream bike... we can all relate to that. In that spirit, I'll repeat myself as those before me did when I asked all of the same questions. Enthusiasm is a good thing.

well said...thank you!