PDA

View Full Version : 600 mile service

Viper1
01-19-2018, 07:18 AM
Just picked up a used 2016 RSV4RF that has 500 miles on it and wondering if there is any "600" mile service that needs to be done by the dealer?

Sonny112
01-19-2018, 09:35 AM
Check the manual, should be in the maintenance table

Kbrok
01-19-2018, 06:56 PM
just do it on your own. oil change. chain lube ect. tire pressure. and make sure bolts are torqued correctly

erick1670
01-19-2018, 07:57 PM
just do it on your own. oil change. chain lube ect. tire pressure. and make sure bolts are torqued correctly
+ keep the receipt of the oil and filter purchase to proof that you did the 600 miles service just in case you need warranty work.

Proctologist
01-20-2018, 07:15 PM
Do it regardless.. the cost of an oil service is nominal.

Its not difficult to do it yourself, otherwise best to schedule an appointment.

andyandtherman
01-21-2018, 08:09 AM
While it's pretty easy to change oil and inflate tires, etc, it's well worth paying the dealer to do this important service in case there's a problem down the line involving the warranty. No need to leave yourself vulnerable to them turning down a potential claim because you didn't want to spring for an inexpensive service.

Sonny112
01-21-2018, 08:16 PM
I’ve had a warranty claim filled on a salvage title bike I did all my own maintenance on, weeks before the original warranty ended...

Changing your own oil isn’t a big deal

Viper1
01-22-2018, 07:22 AM
No worries on doing the maintenance I guess I was wondering if anything came up on the dash at 600 miles that I would need the dealer to turn off. Thanks for the feedback guys!

andyandtherman
01-22-2018, 05:29 PM
No worries on doing the maintenance I guess I was wondering if anything came up on the dash at 600 miles that I would need the dealer to turn off. Thanks for the feedback guys!

I guess I like to have it all documented just in case. No nothing comes up on the dash until the first big service after break in. I can't remember that exact figure, but it's in the manual.

plocky
01-22-2018, 10:39 PM
I guess I like to have it all documented just in case. No nothing comes up on the dash until the first big service after break in. I can't remember that exact figure, but it's in the manual.
That applies to '17+ only.
On the OP's '16 RF a spanner icon will start to blink on the dash for a few seconds at key on sometime before 600 miles, at 600 miles it will become permanent until you or dealer reset it.
The spanner/wrench icon is reset by entering the menu, go to diagnostics menu, code is 12412, choose "reset coupon". Gone.(doesn't apply to '17+).

The spanner will reappear again shortly before 6,000 miles & every 6,000 miles after that.

this may help, http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?241055-How-To-Guide-RSV4R-Oil-Change

Viper1
01-23-2018, 06:50 AM
On the OP's '16 RF a spanner icon will start to blink on the dash for a few seconds at key on sometime before 600 miles, at 600 miles it will become permanent until you or dealer reset it.
The spanner/wrench icon is reset by entering the menu, go to diagnostics menu, code is 12412, choose "reset coupon". Gone.(doesn't apply to '17+).

The spanner will reappear again shortly before 6,000 miles & every 6,000 miles after that.

this may help, http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?241055-How-To-Guide-RSV4R-Oil-Change

Thanks....thats what I was wondering.

andyandtherman
01-23-2018, 07:24 PM
Thanks....thats what I was wondering.

Sorry, I didn't realize that applied to 17+.

motoracerx
01-23-2018, 07:48 PM

You can document the service your self...I took pictures of the odometer, the VIN, my license plate, the filter/oil, receipt of the oils/filter, service manual, etc....
Put all the items under the bike, took a group photo if you will and wrote it down in my 'service/warranty' log that you get when you buy new.

Besides, the closest dealer was over 2 hours away. Not going through that hassle for a simple oil change and retorque of a few bolts.

CIAO 70
04-22-2018, 04:07 PM

So, I'm due for my 600 mile service in a couple of weeks.

From my understanding, it's basically an oil change and making sure everything is torqued to spec.

That it?

What's an average cost for the service? I'm not cheap, just don't want to get raped by my dealer for something so simple.

I would do the service myself but am concerned that should I have any issues in the future Aprilia or the dealer might balk at repair. Besides, figure if throw a little bit of money their way in the beginning it might smooth out and other issues that might arise.

Oh yeah, any "service icon" appear on the dash? I have a 2017 model.

Thanks.

plocky
04-22-2018, 05:06 PM
No service icon for 17+ models at 600 mile, first time icon will come on is just before 6,000 miles.

yeah just an oil change & general check over.

Shouldn't cost more than a couple a hundred.

CIAO 70
04-22-2018, 05:09 PM
No service icon for 17+ models at 600 mile, first time icon will come on is just before 6,000 miles.

yeah just an oil change & general check over.

Shouldn't cost more than a couple a hundred.

10-4

Appreciated.

TNTramair
04-23-2018, 09:47 AM
yeah i just got quoted $410 plus tax to do that service. thats a little excessive in my opinion. ill have to do it myself...cant fork over that much for an oil change and just general check up. id pay up to $250 just to not have any trouble with warranty but doing it myself and keeping receipts etc. is just as good.

CIAO 70
04-24-2018, 12:20 AM
yeah i just got quoted $410 plus tax to do that service. thats a little excessive in my opinion. ill have to do it myself...cant fork over that much for an oil change and just general check up. id pay up to $250 just to not have any trouble with warranty but doing it myself and keeping receipts etc. is just as good.

Holy shit!

$410 does seem excessive.

Did they give you specifics as to what they were going to do?

TNTramair
04-24-2018, 09:15 AM
Holy shit!

$410 does seem excessive.

Did they give you specifics as to what they were going to do?

yes..and it was a long list...basically the same thing they do when they prep the bike for sale apparently plus add in the oil change. but all i heard was perform oil change and re-torque a bunch of bolts...lol.

CIAO 70
04-24-2018, 09:52 AM
Just spoke with my shop.

$212. :cool:

Apachesmith
04-16-2019, 04:31 AM
Just spoke with my shop.

$212. :cool:

I have been quoted £275 in the UK. I have A 2018 RSV4 RF - a couple of interesting points made to me by the service department when I bought the bike a few weeks ago! Donít use the quick shifter in the run in period as this could damage the gear box. And the service costs more than you think as they have to load a new map and update the ECU as part of the first service. Could be BS to make more money but itís a very reputable and large scale Aprilia dealer here in the UK so I would be surprised! I had the Akroprovic exhaust and ecu unlock code from new as an FYI.

Thoughts?

Andys Thumper
04-16-2019, 07:05 AM
I have been quoted £275 in the UK. I have A 2018 RSV4 RF - a couple of interesting points made to me by the service department when I bought the bike a few weeks ago! Don’t use the quick shifter in the run in period as this could damage the gear box. And the service costs more than you think as they have to load a new map and update the ECU as part of the first service. Could be BS to make more money but it’s a very reputable and large scale Aprilia dealer here in the UK so I would be surprised! I had the Akroprovic exhaust and ecu unlock code from new as an FYI.

Thoughts?

I'll look it up later, but if I remember correctly my 1st service last October on my RR was £200 all in.

prettykin
04-16-2019, 05:24 PM
I've been buying new sport bikes roughly every 2 to 3 years for the last 20 plus years. I have never and will continue to never pay for a 600mi/ initial service. My point being if you can maintain and perform the basic required maintenance you likely have nothing to worry about while the bike is under warranty. Without going into to detail (due to a NDA that I signed a few years back) I can tell you with a high degree of certainty it is extremely difficult for a factory to escape honoring factory warranty related claim here in the U.S.

NorCal
06-14-2019, 10:06 AM
]This is my first post. 2018 tuono 1100rr did my 600 service no spanner wrench and i reset rev limiter cleaned lubed and adjusted chain. Really easy IMHO:eek:

wuneyewilly
06-14-2019, 11:48 AM
"Don’t use the quick shifter in the run in period as this could damage the gear box."

...is this true? No quick shifting for 600mi?

Viper1
06-14-2019, 12:14 PM
"Don’t use the quick shifter in the run in period as this could damage the gear box."

...is this true? No quick shifting for 600mi?

I would totally disagree. Ride the bike like your going to ride it.

Diablo1
06-15-2019, 09:17 AM
I did my own 650 mile service on my Tuono. Oil and OEM filter change, and torque oil pan and side cover bolts. That doesn’t or didn’t interfere with the warranty at my dealer. Yes, save your receipts just in case, just don’t show them to your wife. Lol