PDA

View Full Version : MotoGeo Review: Shiver 900

Ricardo J
01-11-2018, 01:34 PM
Jamie Robinson does a video review: http://www.motogeo.com/aprilia-shiver-900-motogeo-review/

Frodo
01-11-2018, 01:58 PM
What a terrible review - more a paid advert for Aprilia. Many technical errors. "All new bike"? Three power maps with different power outputs? Previous non-adjustable suspension with a photo of the rear shock, which had some adjustment and appears unchanged. "Aprilia have made the bike as light as possible" and then shows a figure of 227kg dry weight. I think that is in error and is probably the wet weight. Biggest grumble about the Shiver 750 is the weight. Then says about the increased weight in the exhaust. Is it really heavier? The design is very similar so I expect that the weight is similar. Readible dash? I actually think the original dash is easier to read and MCN in their super naked shootout raved about the 2017 Tuono, but didn't like the dash.

I agree that the Shiver 900 is a great versatile bike, but this uncritical review didn't inform.

IndelibleInk
01-11-2018, 06:23 PM
What a terrible review - more a paid advert for Aprilia. Many technical errors. "All new bike"? Three power maps with different power outputs? Previous non-adjustable suspension with a photo of the rear shock, which had some adjustment and appears unchanged. "Aprilia have made the bike as light as possible" and then shows a figure of 227kg dry weight. I think that is in error and is probably the wet weight. Biggest grumble about the Shiver 750 is the weight. Then says about the increased weight in the exhaust. Is it really heavier? The design is very similar so I expect that the weight is similar. Readible dash? I actually think the original dash is easier to read and MCN in their super naked shootout raved about the 2017 Tuono, but didn't like the dash.

I agree that the Shiver 900 is a great versatile bike, but this uncritical review didn't inform.
I was thinking recently the exhaust silencer internals might well be different, just housed in the same stamped and welded-up enclosure. The 750's stock cans were very sparse inside, and not exactly quiet - in fact reviewers couldn't believe the exhaust was legal. Whereas I've seen at least one comment that the 900 is too quiet. It doesn't have the rasp of the 750, or the obvious "pipe resonance" sound, implying that perhaps this one is now packed to reduce higher frequencies better - there is still a lot of flow noise out of those narrow outlets, mind you.

Strictly speaking, the cams in the 900 being very similar (if not the same) and all the other plumbing being identical to the 750, and with similar power figures (on paper), the silencing "duty" is more or less unchanged. The different rod-to-stroke ratio shifts the valve timings in relation to piston position, but that's minor. So in essence, any change is purely for Euro4 noise limits, which the 750's exhaust was never going to meet. In true Italian fashion, they seemingly didn't worry about the intake at all... Maybe that meant the exhaust had to be even quieter (heavier) still.

If they had committed to different packaging under the seat, they might have been better able to optimise the shape and size (and so weight) of the new exhaust - but that means new tooling and other new parts to match etc.
I found it interesting that Honda was able to go from a 3-pass exhaust silencer to a 2-pass item on at least two of their revised Euro4 bikes last year, saving some weight - but those exhausts don't depend on bodywork and a subframe to disguise them.

It does imply the gains could be impressive from aftermarket exhausts (with a map).

Micah / AF1 Racing
01-12-2018, 05:33 PM
That was a video much closer to a paid advertising placement than any real sort of review. I guess everyone has to eat, now I know another Youtuber to avoid. The 900's are fine bikes, but they are essentially just a larger bore version of the old bike with a fancy new dash and more useable power across the rev range. The explanation of the weight was moderately amusing if not very accurate.

Ricardo J
01-12-2018, 10:56 PM
That "quickie" is definitely not representative of his usual work. For example J Rob did several roadtrip and review videos on the Caponord 1200 (including Rally), which was more positive exposure than the rest of the whole frickin' industry gave that bike...manufacturer, importer, magazines, dealers collectively.

MotoGeo's trip vids, like his ride from San Pedro to Mexico City, are worth looking at too. Good stuff!

maddad
01-20-2018, 04:47 PM
How is the fuelling on the 900 down low hunting like some of the 750's or smoother ?

Frodo
01-22-2018, 01:45 AM
Hi Maddad

I rode nz_mana's 900 - the motor is much smoother and gruntier. No hunting at 3500 - 4000 rpm - "S" mode is quite usable around town.

maddad
01-22-2018, 02:46 AM
I am glad they got it Ironed out it's a good bike I guess economic times may be hard to sell here ,so many Japanese /china models to chose from.:)

Frodo
01-22-2018, 01:26 PM
The main problem IMHO for Aprilia in New Zealand is the lack of profile. Lots of Aprilia scooters, but most are made cheap in China and rust quickly. So the general perception of Aprilia is cheap and poor quality. Serious motorcyclists have heard about Aprilia and some know about the RSV4 and Tuono, but few know about the Shiver/DD. But I agree that the "middleweight" class is crowded. Of course I'm biased, but if I would be buying new, I'd get a Shiver 900...