PDA

View Full Version : Rear Tyre Problem

Crazyr1
03-21-2003, 12:35 PM
Road bike with standard size tyres 120 front / 150 rear D207.

I have uneven tyre wear at the edges. The ‘chicken strip’ goes from nothing to 5 mm. It looks like it is wearing in an oval plane rather than round. It is the same on both sides of the tyre. Also where the unworn edge is at it maximum there are scuff marks. I thought that maybe the rear wheel was out of alignment, so I checked it with a string line and yes it was. Went for a ride – no change. Bike handles fine. The bike is new – hasn’t been crashed – presume the frame is straight. Going to get the rear wheel laser aligned but could it be something else is wrong.

It just doesn’t look right. Anyone got any ideas.

wsmc667
03-21-2003, 02:00 PM
dunlops are typically out of round ... or not "straight" when viewed from front or behind while rotating. i stopped selling/using their K591 tires some time ago because every one i bought was like this. sad to hear it is becoming more common on their radials, too.

Crazyr1
03-21-2003, 02:30 PM
Thanks I'll have a look at that. I thought that maybe the tyre was not on the rim correctly but after 1300 miles riding thought that would not be possible. Anyway it looks OK.

Anybody with any other thoughts.

Crazyr1
03-21-2003, 03:26 PM
Not sure about this having had a little think. When I said both edges are the same I was not quite correct. Both edges of the tyre show the same effect but are out of phase by 180 degrees - where the left edge is worn to the edge, the opposite side (right edge) is at its widest and when the right edge is worn to the edge the opposite (left edge) is at its widest. If the tyre was not round then both edges would be exactly the same.

Weird !!

metricracer
03-24-2003, 10:17 PM
Have you ever had anyone (susp. tech) take look at your shock? As my bike got a couple of seasons on it the stock shock started chattering pretty bad but I couldn't tell. I would cause the rear tire to wear or loose it's grip quickly.This only happend during the hotest part of the day so by the time a got an "expert" to take a look at it the day was almost over and the track was cooler and no one could reproduce the problem. Very frustrating.