View Full Version : 16-17 Aprilia RSV4 and 17 Tuono Motorcycles Brembo Recall

GixxerMKD
12-29-2017, 02:23 PM
The following motorcycle recall report is filed with the NHTSA:
Report Receipt Date: December 15, 2017
NHTSA Campaign Number: 17V811000
Component(s): Brake System
Potential Number of Units Affected: 1,856
Manufacturer: Piaggio Group Americas. Inc.

THE RECALL: Piaggio Group Americas. Inc. (Piaggio) is recalling certain 2016-2017 Aprilia RSV4 1000 motorcycles (including RR, Factory Superpole, and RF Superpole), and 2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 motorcycles (including RR and Factory Superpole). These motorcycles are equipped with Brembo front brake master cylinders that may fail. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 122, "Motorcycle Brake Systems."
WHAT COULD HAPPEN: If the front brake master cylinder fails, the loss of front braking ability can increase the risk of a crash.
THE FIX: Aprilia will notify owners, and dealers will replace the front brake master cylinder piston, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin January 15, 2018. Owners may contact Aprilia customer service at 1-212-380-4433.
MORE RECALL INFORMATION: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to safercar.gov (http://www.safercar.gov/).

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/aprilia-rsv4-and-tuono-motorcycles-recalled-for-brakes-that-may-fail

Check if your bike is affected here: http://static.piaggio.com/recall/form-aprilia_en.html

Sleeper
12-29-2017, 06:45 PM
Looks like it it is bigger than Aprilia. The issue stems from the Brembo’s popular PR16 radial master cylinder unit

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/recall/brembo-brake-recall/

Sonny112
12-31-2017, 05:47 PM
“Because of the physical properties of the piston material used on the master cylinder, and the porosity generated during the injection process used to create them, the piston could crack when used on race tracks, or with frequent ABS intervention, or when the motorcycle falls to the ground.”

99% of you have no reason for concern of catastrophic brake failure leading to imminent death or injury. Seems like unless you’re racing, riding on snow w/ ABS all the way up, or can’t keep your bike upright, you’re perfectly fine until you’re able to have the recall performed. Triathlete, does suck for you though if you’ve got a race in less than a month; could be worth a call to Aprilia directly to help expedite the service. Otherwise most of you are making much of realistically not a big deal; recalls happen.

plocky
12-31-2017, 06:38 PM
Found the following bit of info interesting. note the date!

Chronology : In May, 2017, Ducati received initial information from the field regarding front brake malfunction involving a motorcycle in the European market. During the same month Ducati received a second European front brake malfunction report. Ducati initiated an investigation and began to jointly conduct an analysis with Brembo, the component manufacturer. In September, 2017, a third European case was discovered. Failure was found to have occurred during race track use in two of the three cases. In November, 2017, the investigation was finalized and the root cause was identified as above. (Please refer to “Describe the cause”). On December 14th, 2017, Ducati determined that a worldwide safety Recall was justified.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2017/RCLRPT-17V812-1587.PDF

The recall for Ducati involves ~8000 Units. https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/8000-late-model-ducati-motorcycles-being-recalled-for-brakes-that-may-fail

Ed / AF1 Racing
01-02-2018, 10:22 AM
got confirmation from Aprilia USA

"no VINS are loaded yet. The recall should begin in a couple of weeks."

waiting on parts, and some paperwork from NHTSA.

I will post back once we have an official dealer letter and procedure.

amauri
01-02-2018, 10:53 PM
Stock m/c size for RSV4 is:

16mm bore x 19mm pivot for ABS bikes with M430/M50 calipers
18mm bore x 19mm pivot for non-ABS bikes with M4 calipers

Ed / AF1 Racing
01-03-2018, 11:35 AM
just got a pre-lim bulletin.

VINS will not be loaded until after Jan 15th. Looks like all 16/17 V4s with the radial pump (16 Tuonos excluded) will be recalled by Brembo

Dealers will be doing a full replacement of the internal piston, a part #, and procedure has been laid out

Owner Notification: Each owner of a vehicle included in this recall will be notified by first class mail. In this letter Aprilia USA will describe the details of the concern, the cause, and the correction addressed by this recall. In addition, Aprilia USA asks that each owner contact their respective Aprilia dealer to arrange for an appointment to have the parts and labor required of this recall completed. Please make every effort to accommodate your recall customers within your existing service schedule. Please note that until the internal float element has been replaced, the vehicle must be ridden judiciously, taking into account the possible loss in braking capacity, moderating speed and maintaining longer safety distances. Customers must not use the vehicle on the track until the replacement has been completed.

Ed / AF1 Racing
01-03-2018, 11:35 AM
and I'm cleaning up this thread to prevent confusion and mass hysteria

snikwad
01-03-2018, 11:36 AM

VINS will not be loaded until after Jan 15th. Looks like all 16/17 V4s with the radial pump (16 Tuonos excluded) will be recalled by Brembo

Dealers will be doing a full replacement of the internal piston, a part #, and procedure has been laid out

Owner Notification: Each owner of a vehicle included in this recall will be notified by first class mail. In this letter Aprilia USA will describe the details of the concern, the cause, and the correction addressed by this recall. In addition, Aprilia USA asks that each owner contact their respective Aprilia dealer to arrange for an appointment to have the parts and labor required of this recall completed. Please make every effort to accommodate your recall customers within your existing service schedule. Please note that until the internal float element has been replaced, the vehicle must be ridden judiciously, taking into account the possible loss in braking capacity, moderating speed and maintaining longer safety distances. Customers must not use the vehicle on the track until the replacement has been completed.

Solid. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snikwad
01-03-2018, 11:50 AM
What will the priority be if any?
Bikes on the showroom floor, then bikes under warranty, then others. Or is it strictly as soon as owners schedule it?
Do we have to wait on the notification letter to schedule?

Ed / AF1 Racing
01-03-2018, 12:07 PM
bikes in the field first, then showroom bikes.

Cant schedule anything until we have parts. Will post up on parts ETA once we know

snikwad
01-03-2018, 12:13 PM
Thank you Sir. :)

CIAO 70
01-03-2018, 12:14 PM

Just for clarification, basically ANY/ALL 2017 RSV4's will be affected? I presume ALL of the 2017's have the radial pump?

I have yet to take delivery of my 2017 RSV4 RF as I was waiting for my exhaust to come in from Italy. Figure I'll be waiting for them to fix the master cylinder now?

Should I contact me dealer and inquire about this?

Really appreciate you posting the info and keeping us updated.

Thanks.

Ed / AF1 Racing
01-03-2018, 12:17 PM
cant say for certain, but its looking like ALL 2016-2017 RSV4 are effected worldwide. The # reported to USA NHSTA suggests that is every RSV4 in the USA.

Your dealer prob wont know more than I've posted at this stage. Prob less.

I know we cannot legally sell any new bike that is under federal recall until the recall work is complete. He shouldn't let it roll until its fixed.

CIAO 70
01-03-2018, 12:39 PM
cant say for certain, but its looking like ALL 2016-2017 RSV4 are effected worldwide. The # reported to USA NHSTA suggests that is every RSV4 in the USA.

I know we cannot legally sell any new bike that is under federal recall until the recall work is complete. He shouldn't let it roll until its fixed.

10-4.

Just spoke with my dealer and he said he hadn't seen anything "officially" but it may take a couple of weeks just as you had stated. Then I guess it's just a matter of how long it takes Brembo to get the replacement parts in the system.

As for selling the bike, I bought it before this recall. I am just waiting for the exhaust to get in from Italy before picking it up. I ordered the exhaust from you guys BTW.

Fortunately, I can't ride due to weather. Hopefully they'l have it all sorted by spring! LOL

Thanks.

andyandtherman
01-03-2018, 04:58 PM

Ed, do you feel the bike is ok to ride at a cruising, non gonzo pace, or should we just park them?

Ed / AF1 Racing
01-03-2018, 05:08 PM
Ed, do you feel the bike is ok to ride at a cruising, non gonzo pace, or should we just park them?

this is what Aprilia says on the matter

Please note that until the internal float element has been replaced, the vehicle must be ridden judiciously, taking into account the possible loss in braking capacity, moderating speed and maintaining longer safety distances. Customers must not use the vehicle on the track until the replacement has been completed.

andyandtherman
01-03-2018, 05:15 PM
Can't get much more clear than that. Thanks Ed.

Gluge
01-03-2018, 05:18 PM
Maybe everyone knows but I don't think I've seen it posted here so FYI -

This recall affects all brembo PR16 radial master cylinders, these are found on KTMs, Ducati and Aprilia across at least some 2015-2018 models. Aprilia was just the first one to issue a recall. Ducati shortly followed saying 8000 bikes are affected in the US. Doesn't look like KTM has issued a recall yet but they have bikes that are affected and probably will soon. Ducati says their recall is expected to go out feb. 15th, a full month after aprilia's so hey maybe that means aprilia gets the first parts? :)

plocky
01-03-2018, 06:27 PM
For any owners in Australia that are affected; I have just talked with the Tasmanian Aprilia dealer & they quickly processed my VIN, called me back within 5 minutes, confirmed recall on my bike & they have back ordered the parts.
The tech said that he spoke with Aprilia AU who said they ordered the recall parts before Christmas, estimated time of arrival from Italy is expected sometime in the next 2 weeks.
That's the best he could come up with, no guarantee on the ETA.

snikwad
01-03-2018, 07:01 PM
For any owners in Australia that are affected; I have just talked with the Tasmanian Aprilia dealer & they quickly processed my VIN, called me back within 5 minutes, confirmed recall on my bike & they have back ordered the parts.
The tech said that he spoke with Aprilia AU who said they ordered the recall parts before Christmas, estimated time of arrival from Italy is expected sometime in the next 2 weeks.
That's the best he could come up with, no guarantee on the ETA.

How nice of them.

Donger
01-03-2018, 10:59 PM
Road trip to Austin once receiving the recall letter...possible uploading new map for my bike with dyno...

Chip4now
01-05-2018, 04:44 AM
Very good news. Should be fixed well before the Island WSBK. I emailed my dealer but haven't rung as I assumed they will be down on staff over xmas / ny.
Must ring Monday and make a booking.
Thanks Plocky

Chip4now
01-05-2018, 11:42 PM
Out riding this morning with some mates in an endeavour to beat the heat. Got chatting to an RSV4 rider at the Shell Oberon . Said his warranty had been done last week by the Parramatta dealer.
Happened to be sporting a good looking stubby Austin Racing slip on. Bloody loud :)

plocky
01-06-2018, 01:38 AM
Out riding this morning with some mates in an endeavour to beat the heat. Got chatting to an RSV4 rider at the Shell Oberon . Said his warranty had been done last week by the Parramatta dealer.
Happened to be sporting a good looking stubby Austin Racing slip on. Bloody loud :)
Do you mean the recall for brake MC piston fixed (subject of this thread) or a warranty service?
Hmm, Parramatta, that would be Bike Biz I guess.

scotman623
01-06-2018, 02:19 PM

ED, I bought my bike from AF1 in Nov. and had the shop do 100% race only build for me, LOVE THE BIKE.. I live in Upstate NY and will not be able to get the recall done before Race practice season In Feb.. Could you please advise me to what complete part I should buy from AF1 to do a complete replace? Not concerned about price, just need awesome brakes for racing..My bike is the 2017 RF..I appreciate and respect your guidance on this matter .Thanks, Scott Reynolds

Chip4now
01-06-2018, 05:25 PM
Do you mean the recall for brake MC piston fixed (subject of this thread) or a warranty service?
Hmm, Parramatta, that would be Bike Biz I guess.

Yes on both counts. Brembo and Bike Bjz

plocky
01-06-2018, 07:13 PM
Yes on both counts. Brembo and Bike Bjz
Excellent!! That means parts for the recall are in Oz = mine might be done soon.:)

Ed / AF1 Racing
01-08-2018, 11:20 AM
I haven't checked, but word is Aprilia loaded the USA vins to the checker now.

rebornxshiznat
01-08-2018, 11:29 AM
Accurate just ran mine and it's showing up as impacted

Bhernan17
01-08-2018, 11:42 AM
What shows up for my vin. "This chassis number corresponds to vehicle
The following recall campaigns are pending for this vehicle
Replacing the front brake master cylinder float Safety recall campaign"

snikwad
01-08-2018, 12:17 PM
Yep. My 09/15 build 16 RR shows up as one of the victims.

Ed / AF1 Racing
01-08-2018, 12:46 PM
It's going to be all USA bikes...

snikwad
01-08-2018, 02:31 PM
https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/answering-questions-about-the-brembo-brakes-recall?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=boosted-posts%7Ctpfn&utm_content=common-tread-news&utm_term=answering-questions-about-the-brembo-brakes-recall-post-010518-%7Ctpfn

Ed / AF1 Racing
01-08-2018, 02:51 PM
https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/answering-questions-about-the-brembo-brakes-recall?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=boosted-posts%7Ctpfn&utm_content=common-tread-news&utm_term=answering-questions-about-the-brembo-brakes-recall-post-010518-%7Ctpfn

nice to see they got this part totally wrong

"The apparent lack of a separate piston for sale may help explain why Aprilia's recall involves replacement of the whole master cylinder, rather than just the piston. Aprilia diagram."

We are replacing just the piston

snikwad
01-08-2018, 02:52 PM

"The apparent lack of a separate piston for sale may help explain why Aprilia's recall involves replacement of the whole master cylinder, rather than just the piston. Aprilia diagram."

We are replacing just the piston

Hehehe. No one know anything about aprilias. [emoji23]

amauri
01-08-2018, 02:53 PM
edit: Ed beat me to it.

Interesting and worthwhile read, but not entirely correct.

In this article, the author refers to an exploded parts diagram of the PS16 m/c used by Aprilia and incorrectly speculates:

https://revzilla.imgix.net/blog_content_image/image/48360/F144769644.jpg?w=2242&h=1416&dpr=1.25

That statement is false, Aprilia is not replacing the entire m/c and the author should have done the research before printing false info.

Chip4now
01-08-2018, 05:57 PM

Contacted Brisans, my dealer in Newcastle yesterday and they knew nothing of the recall. Contacted Bike Biz in Parramatta who found out about it last Thursday but had received no parts. The young bloke must have been talking about some other warranty - he said it was in the calliper.
So, now waiting for either of them to come back to me with some news.

ZR1000A1
01-08-2018, 08:44 PM

We are replacing just the pistonMy dealer (in Canada) also told me that Aprilia ships complete master cylinders for this recall, not just pistons. And he is getting a hundred of them, 'cause he's the largest Aprilia dealer in Ontario. Let's see...

amauri
01-08-2018, 08:56 PM
Don't forget to roll up your pant legs next time you walk into that dealership

amauri
01-08-2018, 08:59 PM
Contacted Brisans, my dealer in Newcastle yesterday and they knew nothing of the recall. Contacted Bike Biz in Parramatta who found out about it last Thursday but had received no parts. The young bloke must have been talking about some other warranty - he said it was in the calliper.

I though something smelled fishy when you posted about that a few days ago.
Never believe anything unless that person is willing to put it in writing and sign it.

plocky
01-08-2018, 09:00 PM
That's strange as the tech at Bike Biz ordered 30 recall kits on or about the 19th of December, according to this >http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?339120-Rsv4-brake-recall
They may not have the parts yet, but they, or at least he, certainly knew about it, as he had info about the recall from Aprilia.

Anyway maybe the parts will turn up soon.:)

amauri
01-08-2018, 11:44 PM
Maybe things are different in AU, but here in the US we can't just order the recall kit.

The only way a dealer can get the parts is to file the recall paperwork for a VIN that needs it.

Once the paperwork is entered into the system and approved, the parts will be automatically shipped to the dealer that is performing the recall.
Once the dealer receives the part, schedules the bike in for the retrofit and completes the work, that dealer must file more paperwork indicating that the recall has been completed.

The dealer will not get paid for the labor until all the work is completed and the paperwork filed.

Maybe they'll start selling us the parts after all the recalled bikes are retrofitted and they end up with extra parts left over, but I wouldn't count on it.

plocky
01-09-2018, 12:02 AM
Maybe things are different in AU, but here in the US we can't just order the recall kit.

The only way to get the parts is to file the recall paperwork for a VIN that needs it.
Once the paperwork is entered into the system and approved, the parts will be automatically shipped to the dealer that is performing the recall.
Once the dealer receives the part, schedules the bike in for the retrofit and completes the work, that dealer must file more paperwork indicating that the recall has been completed.

The dealer will not get paid for the work until all the work is completed and the paperwork filed.
Yes, that would be my understanding of how it is done here as well & exactly what the dealer I contacted has done. Expecting that the paperwork as such is now done electronically.

My post was more about the fact that the bike shop in question did know about the recall in December, they didn't just find out last Thursday; as they told Chip4now.
Darth Vader usually appears to be honest & knowledgeable in his posts, he also had more direct knowledge of the recall than most did at the time; so I assume that maybe he had ordered 30 kits; or maybe Aprilia AU did & he didn't quite get his translation of events correct.

The dealer I spoke to last week, confirmed after talking to Aprilia AU, that a number of recall parts kits had been ordered in the middle of December to cater for the campaign, which correlates with the info that Darth portrayed.

Personally; I'll just be real happy when the parts arrive.:)

kadracing
01-09-2018, 02:12 AM
Dont hold your breath with Aprilia Australia , or any dealer in the country

prettykin
01-09-2018, 03:00 AM
Don't forget to roll up your pant legs next time you walk into that dealership

Haha.

CIAO 70
01-10-2018, 01:42 PM
Spoke with my dealer today (in Louisville, Ky.)

They stated that they received the bulletin yesterday and that the part is on order.

I specifically asked him if it was the ENTIRE master cylinder assembly or JUST the piston. He stated, "just the piston".

Sound right?

Ed / AF1 Racing
01-10-2018, 01:44 PM
Spoke with my dealer today (in Louisville, Ky.)

They stated that they received the bulletin yesterday and that the part is on order.

I specifically asked him if it was the ENTIRE master cylinder assembly or JUST the piston. He stated, "just the piston".

Sound right?

yes, like I've said, just the piston. Some stock of recall parts are in the USA. Parts are only currently available to recall claims, we cannot get the parts without a claim filed. We filed like 20 of them yesterday to start taking care of our customers and our bikes.

rsnet
01-10-2018, 02:30 PM
From post Plocky.

Yes maybe he know he sold 30bikes on his books, and filled a claim for each, therefore being ahead of the game for his clients, hoping to clear this up ASAP or before any kind of problem occurring.

Maybe a strategy I would take if in the same circumstances.

ampj8
01-10-2018, 04:53 PM
Think might have been already mentioned but this is a BREMBO recall which impacts not only Aprilia but also Ducati and other motorcycle brands that use the same master cylinders on theirs. So quite an amount and they state replacement of the whole part.

aftriathlete
01-10-2018, 04:58 PM
Just called my local dealer here in Tucson. They said they canít do anything until I get the letter in the mail, I was hoping I could just provide my VIN and they could order parts. Anyone hearing different? Anyone got their letter? Itís not the same dealer I bought the bike from, in case that has any relevance.

Ed / AF1 Racing
01-10-2018, 05:07 PM
Just called my local dealer here in Tucson. They said they can’t do anything until I get the letter in the mail, I was hoping I could just provide my VIN and they could order parts. Anyone hearing different? Anyone got their letter? It’s not the same dealer I bought the bike from, in case that has any relevance.

we filed about 20 VINs yesterday....parts should ship today or tomorrow for those VINs

CIAO 70
01-10-2018, 10:36 PM
yes, like I've said, just the piston. Some stock of recall parts are in the USA. Parts are only currently available to recall claims, we cannot get the parts without a claim filed. We filed like 20 of them yesterday to start taking care of our customers and our bikes.

Apologies.

Thought I read somewhere on here that there was some debate about what specifically was being replaced.

Thanks for the clarification.

BTW

My Arrow exhaust from you guys showed up at the shop yesterday! :cool:

plocky
01-11-2018, 12:27 AM
Think might have been already mentioned but this is a BREMBO recall which impacts not only Aprilia but also Ducati and other motorcycle brands that use the same master cylinders on theirs. So quite an amount and they state replacement of the whole part.
yes & Ducati are only replacing the piston, not the whole Master Cylinder same as Aprilia.

Official Ducati dealers will replace the PPS piston with one made from aluminum. This will be performed free of charge.............
The new piston is made from aluminum and machined from bar, guaranteeing a higher strength material as well as the absence of any possibility of porosity
Source, https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2017/RCLRPT-17V812-1587.PDF

sportyrider
01-11-2018, 02:32 PM
My dealer just called me about this issue. Somehow they confirmed that my 2017 Tuono RF has this problem. They asked me to bring the bike as soon as they get repair kit. I guess Aprilia is already reaching out to dealers.

amauri
01-11-2018, 02:41 PM
I guess Aprilia is already reaching out to dealers.

Aprilia USA reached out to all dealers back on Jan 2nd 2018 when they first posted the bulletin on the dealer only intranet.
Every dealer got the info at the same time, and any that says they just found out about this, is a dealer that doesn't read the bulletins often enough.

Sounds like you have a dealer that is on top of it and is being proactive by looking up the VIN on all the bikes they've sold to local customers.

They are not only looking out for the safety of their customers, but also just plain doing the job they are supposed to be doing.

Sounds like you have a good dealer.

Bhernan17
01-11-2018, 02:44 PM
My dealer just called me about this issue. Somehow they confirmed that my 2017 Tuono RF has this problem. They asked me to bring the bike as soon as they get repair kit. I guess Aprilia is already reaching out to dealers.

What dealer is this? There is only one in IL (WindyCityTriumph) and I have had terrible experiences with them in the past. Ended up getting mine from WI.

sportyrider
01-11-2018, 03:33 PM
What dealer is this? There is only one in IL (WindyCityTriumph) and I have had terrible experiences with them in the past. Ended up getting mine from WI.Yes, Windy City. They are much better now comparing to where they used to be. They just did complete engine swap on my brand new 2017 Tuono Factory (under warranty) and I can't complain.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

andyandtherman
01-11-2018, 05:16 PM

Hi Ed,

How do I go about getting mine filed, or did you guys already do it?

Andy

sportyrider
01-11-2018, 05:17 PM
Aprilia USA reached out to all dealers back on Jan 2nd 2018 when they first posted the bulletin on the dealer only intranet.
Every dealer got the info at the same time, and any that says they just found out about this, is a dealer that doesn't read the bulletins often enough.

Sounds like you have a dealer that is on top of it and is being proactive by looking up the VIN on all the bikes they've sold to local customers.

They are not only looking out for the safety of their customers, but also just plain doing the job they are supposed to be doing.

Sounds like you have a good dealer.

I will second that. Windy City not only called me, but they also offered to come to my house and pick my bike (no charge), if I am concerned about riding it. They are trying.

Mr.Alex
01-11-2018, 09:53 PM
For those who have similar experience regarding the fix, is it a somewhat simple job? I've looked up rebuilding master cylinders and the piston swap seems pretty straightforward. Asking because the dealer where I got my RSV4 is a bit farther then the local dealer, but if its a 2-3hr job I wouldn't mind hanging around or stopping by the local diner while they do the fix and then just ride home.

CIAO 70
01-11-2018, 10:52 PM
Apparently I have the fastest repair in the United States!

Sent an e mail to my dealer yesterday and they stated that the HAD JUST RECEIVED the bulletin and parts are on order.

Got an e mail today stating that the parts are already in and my bike is fixed and ready to pick up!

Must be a post Christmas miracle!!! :D

amauri
01-11-2018, 11:39 PM
For those who have similar experience regarding the fix, is it a somewhat simple job? I've looked up rebuilding master cylinders and the piston swap seems pretty straightforward. Asking because the dealer where I got my RSV4 is a bit farther then the local dealer, but if its a 2-3hr job I wouldn't mind hanging around or stopping by the local diner while they do the fix and then just ride home.

The procedure should take about 45 minutes.

That is assuming the tech performing the retrofit is experienced and follows Aprilia's multi page instructions carefully.
There are a few steps in the instructions that may seem unnecessary, but every step is important.

Skip a step because you think it's not important, and you will spend a lot of extra time bleeding the system.

1216bertha
01-12-2018, 12:14 PM
This recall got me, I was suppose to pick up the new Tuono RF tomorrow but the dealer said they cannot sell the bike until the recall is complete. I guess I will have to wait.

V42016
01-12-2018, 12:33 PM
Mine is getting done next week, way to go ISB in Houston!

sportyrider
01-12-2018, 01:21 PM
Apparently I have the fastest repair in the United States!

Sent an e mail to my dealer yesterday and they stated that the HAD JUST RECEIVED the bulletin and parts are on order.

Got an e mail today stating that the parts are already in and my bike is fixed and ready to pick up!

Must be a post Christmas miracle!!! :D

Windy City is your dealer? WC called me and couple other Tuono owners

CIAO 70
01-12-2018, 03:32 PM
Windy City is your dealer? WC called me and couple other Tuono owners

Negative Ghost Rider.

Commonwealth Motorcycles in Louisville

I looked at Windy City before i bought my bike but all they had were the RR's.

I needed an RF.

plocky
01-12-2018, 05:54 PM
Official statement from Brembo. http://www.brembo.com/en/company/news/recall-master-cylinder-brembo

Darth Vader
01-14-2018, 04:44 AM
@ Plocky
I did place initial order of 30 kits for us... Knowing the amount of bikes which I do have on my back that should be enough for the first wave...I did receive confirmation that order has been placed to importer and accepted ( I think 20/12/17) but no known ETA yet...but I do have a list of all bikes afected in Au... It is possible to do that in advance, do not ask me what is paperwork procedure and how, have no clue, spare parts guys are fixing that...but we have done that in the past with two massive recalls...brake push pin and coolant manifold... we had them in stock and I was changing them as soon as bike pop up for something in the service...

However, Amauri is right about procedure, that is how it should work usually...for demand sensors recall we could not do anything in advance for eg... Bike by bike...

Darth Vader
01-14-2018, 05:07 AM
Did you speak to service advisor in Bikebiz or to someone else ? Service advisor is introduced with all related to that recall and I highly doubt that he will give you that false info... Anyway, parts are not in Au yet...

Darth Vader
01-14-2018, 05:16 AM
From post Plocky.

Yes maybe he know he sold 30bikes on his books, and filled a claim for each, therefore being ahead of the game for his clients, hoping to clear this up ASAP or before any kind of problem occurring.

Maybe a strategy I would take if in the same circumstances.

It turns out that we sold much much more than 30 of affected bikes, as I was suspecting, and there is sagnificanf amount of others which are coming for servicing, so 30 kits will be enough for maybe one third of all bikes...

Yes, you are right, that is a strategy.... I like to make my customers happy, and if I can do something in advance I will...
Luckily, as I stated earlier post, my spare parts guys can be very good if they want...

rsnet
01-14-2018, 09:29 AM
It turns out that we sold much much more than 30 of affected bikes, as I was suspecting, and there is sagnificanf amount of others which are coming for servicing, so 30 kits will be enough for maybe one third of all bikes...

Yes, you are right, that is a strategy.... I like to make my customers happy, and if I can do something in advance I will...
Luckily, as I stated earlier post, my spare parts guys can be very good if they want...

Nice job DV and as I thought, always good to have a good relationship with your suppliers as that relationship can speed up processes if and when Needed.

Good luck getting this procedure wrapped up and the Aprilia community can turn a page. Ciao

Darth Vader
01-14-2018, 04:18 PM
Nice job DV and as I thought, always good to have a good relationship with your suppliers as that relationship can speed up processes if and when Needed.

Good luck getting this procedure wrapped up and the Aprilia community can turn a page. Ciao

Thanks mate...
I just hope that everything will be smooth as it should be..

Just came from holidays and checked my official Emails... Aprilia Australia did send note to all Aussie dealers at 12/01/18 so that is a reason why most of dealers did not know earlier about the recall... and they did advice dealers to order kits in advance.. looks like my acting of ordering in advance was adopted for all :) .....
looks like that kits are still two weeks away...

3Cells43
01-14-2018, 05:22 PM
Got a letter asking us to book in out our preferred dealer. the advice is slow down, do not use on the track. Not a problem as it is off the road at the moment.

kadracing
01-14-2018, 06:38 PM
Anybody in OZ got any official notification of the recall yet, from Aprilia Aust or from a dealer

Darth Vader
01-14-2018, 08:33 PM
Anybody in OZ got any official notification of the recall yet, from Aprilia Aust or from a dealer

Highly doubt that because official letter about recall has been sent to OZ dealers about midday on Friday 12/01/18 and today is Monday...and I think that there is no point to rush anything now because kits are still not here...

plocky
01-14-2018, 08:57 PM
Notification no.
Confirmation from dealer, VIN processed & accepted, backorder of parts yes.

kadracing
01-14-2018, 10:10 PM
Notification no.
Confirmation from dealer, VIN processed & accepted, backorder of parts yes.

Thanks DV and Plocky. I got nothing from nobody.

my dealer has never contacted me about any of the three Aprilias I have purchased from them. At least i dont need to take my RSV4 to them since i changed mc's. Also nobody from Ducati has contacted me.

plocky
01-15-2018, 12:57 AM
Thanks DV and Plocky. I got nothing from nobody.

my dealer has never contacted me about any of the three Aprilias I have purchased from them. At least i dont need to take my RSV4 to them since i changed mc's. Also nobody from Ducati has contacted me.
yeah, you've got to understand the information on this forum is ahead of it's time.
I doubt anyone in OZ has had the official recall notification by mail yet.

The dealer I bought my bike from no longer does Aprilia, so no hope from them & good riddance.

I processed my own VIN at http://static.piaggio.com/recall/form-aprilia_en.html to confirm my bike was in recall, then called nearest Dealer (the only one in Tas) & told him about the Recall, no one there new about it, but the Tech was excellent & took my details including VIN. Said "I'll call you back", I thought yeah right, then to my surprise 5 minutes later he calls back & confirms my bike is accepted as needing recall. He had rung Aprilia AU & necessary parts have been back ordered. Just playing the waiting game now.

kadracing
01-15-2018, 03:41 AM
The thing is Plocky, We shouldn't have to chase after Aprilia Aust or the dealer. As soon as there is a problem we should be notified. As DV said , he has already ordered parts. They have our address , phone number and usually our email address. This recall isn't some little thing , this is loosing brakes while doing track days or racing and I have done plenty of both since I got one of the first 2015 rsv4s in the country. This is a very serious problem. Owners should have been told to not use them till the recall has been done .
I have no confidence in Aprilia Aust to do do anything but look after their own interest . They treat the Dealers like crap, and everything is always two weeks because they keep minimum stock of parts usually it's longer. That's why I purchase everything through AF1. Though of course in this situation it was unforeseen with the MC piston.
Their attitude is the reason I got rid of my Caponord and one of my RSV4's , and if anything happens with this one , no more Aprilias for me.
Lucky my Ape mechanic can still do work on my bike, because if I had to take it to a Sydney Aprilia dealer for service or work it would be gone as well

FastR1Red
01-15-2018, 04:40 AM
Heard today replacement parts will be arriving in Australia 25th January.

Viper1
01-15-2018, 07:01 AM
edit: Ed beat me to it.

Interesting and worthwhile read, but not entirely correct.

In this article, the author refers to an exploded parts diagram of the PS16 m/c used by Aprilia and incorrectly speculates:

https://revzilla.imgix.net/blog_content_image/image/48360/F144769644.jpg?w=2242&h=1416&dpr=1.25

That statement is false, Aprilia is not replacing the entire m/c and the author should have done the research before printing false info.

"Fake News"......LOL

Darth Vader
01-15-2018, 07:10 AM
The thing is Plocky, We shouldn't have to chase after Aprilia Aust or the dealer. As soon as there is a problem we should be notified. As DV said , he has already ordered parts. They have our address , phone number and usually our email address. This recall isn't some little thing , this is loosing brakes while doing track days or racing and I have done plenty of both since I got one of the first 2015 rsv4s in the country. This is a very serious problem. Owners should have been told to not use them till the recall has been done .
I have no confidence in Aprilia Aust to do do anything but look after their own interest . They treat the Dealers like crap, and everything is always two weeks because they keep minimum stock of parts usually it's longer. That's why I purchase everything through AF1. Though of course in this situation it was unforeseen with the MC piston.
Their attitude is the reason I got rid of my Caponord and one of my RSV4's , and if anything happens with this one , no more Aprilias for me.
Lucky my Ape mechanic can still do work on my bike, because if I had to take it to a Sydney Aprilia dealer for service or work it would be gone as well
You are partly right here and I can see where your frustration is coming from...and frustration of many other Aprilia owners all over the world...
In this particular case if problem is really dangerous I am sure that Aprilia Italy will act differently...not as slow as they did...
OZ importer will contact as many owners as they can, but because of changing ownership of the bikes, loosing licence or closing few dealerships and service agents and visiting non authorised dealership it is hard to trace and reach all owners.. Dealers will of course contact customers as much as they can...
But as Plocky said we are here way ahead....and FastR1Red has correct info... we can add at least one week on the top of that for sending parts to dealers etc...
My service advisor did contact several owners today and did make job cards for the recall...plus two came today for regular maintenace and both are affected and some guys had called today....

plocky
01-16-2018, 01:14 AM
You are partly right here and I can see where your frustration is coming from...and frustration of many other Aprilia owners all over the world...
In this particular case if problem is really dangerous I am sure that Aprilia Italy will act differently...not as slow as they did...

I can see his & others frustration at it being a serious safety issue, which has been covertly leaked to the public via magazine articles, instead of quick direct contact.
I was prepared to ride my bike until I saw the Aprilia statement on letters to European owners & also from Aprilia as posted by ED (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?339304-16-17-Aprilia-RSV4-and-17-Tuono-Motorcycles-Brembo-Recall&p=4369796&viewfull=1#post4369796),
"Please note that until the internal float element has been replaced, the vehicle must be ridden judiciously, taking into account the possible loss in braking capacity, moderating speed and maintaining longer safety distances. Customers must not use the vehicle on the track until the replacement has been completed."

Also in the NHTSA document filed for Ducati (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2017/RCLRPT-17V812-1587.PDF), it states "Estimated percentage with defect: 1%"; for the maths challenged, that means 1 in 100 bikes could have a defective MC piston that could fail. The consequences of which could be life changing.

My bike is now parked until I get a call from the dealer that the parts are in, as I've already pushed my front brake to the limit on track days, possibly weakening the piston, I not prepared to trust my brakes with the current information available.

platini
01-16-2018, 01:34 AM
would getting a new front master cylinder solve the problem just wondering as I am not sure I may have time to bring the bike to the dealer before first track day

plocky
01-16-2018, 02:00 AM
would getting a new front master cylinder solve the problem just wondering as I am not sure I may have time to bring the bike to the dealer before first track day
Yes; if you could get a PR16 that has not got the plastic piston; or get an alternative MC, as Brembo has stated that no other MC's in their supply chain are affected (http://www.brembo.com/en/company/news/recall-master-cylinder-brembo).
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?339426-Non-Brembo-RCS-17-MC-options&p=4369915&viewfull=1#post4369915

Darth Vader
01-16-2018, 04:02 AM
I can see his & others frustration at it being a serious safety issue, which has been covertly leaked to the public via magazine articles, instead of quick direct contact.
I was prepared to ride my bike until I saw the Aprilia statement on letters to European owners & also from Aprilia as posted by ED (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?339304-16-17-Aprilia-RSV4-and-17-Tuono-Motorcycles-Brembo-Recall&p=4369796&viewfull=1#post4369796),
"Please note that until the internal float element has been replaced, the vehicle must be ridden judiciously, taking into account the possible loss in braking capacity, moderating speed and maintaining longer safety distances. Customers must not use the vehicle on the track until the replacement has been completed."

Also in the NHTSA document filed for Ducati (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2017/RCLRPT-17V812-1587.PDF), it states "Estimated percentage with defect: 1%"; for the maths challenged, that means 1 in 100 bikes could have a defective MC piston that could fail. The consequences of which could be life changing.

My bike is now parked until I get a call from the dealer that the parts are in, as I've already pushed my front brake to the limit on track days, possibly weakening the piston, I not prepared to trust my brakes with the current information available.
Not nice statement endeed...

Whitney151
01-18-2018, 05:24 PM
I received the official Aprilia letter today. Dealer does not yet have parts though.

amauri
01-18-2018, 07:36 PM
Dealer does not yet have parts though.

And they won't have the parts until they submit the paperwork for your bike.

As you can imagine, Brembo and Aprilia want to make sure this recall is performed correctly and documented for each VIN affected.
This is why they will not ship the retrofit kit until the dealer does the paperwork for your VIN.

motoracerx
01-18-2018, 09:44 PM
Man....when Suzuki did a recall for M/C's on GSXR's, all you had to do was take the bike in and drop it off and get a replacement M/C installed.

Or if you 'knew' somebody at a dealer, you could just go pick up a new M/C and install it yourself in your garage.

amauri
01-18-2018, 10:40 PM
Or if you 'knew' somebody at a dealer, you could just go pick up a new M/C and install it yourself in your garage.

Only a very foolish dealer would do that.

Right now there is a serious safety defect that Brembo and Aprilia recognized and reported to the apropiate government agencies. Anyone who gets hurt because of this brake failure could file a lawsuit and possibly win a substantial settlement against the manufacturer.

Once a dealer submits the paperwork, receives the parts and files more paperwork indicating the recall has been performed, the manufactures is off the hook.

Now in the case of the dealer that files the paperwork and hands over the part to a customer, that dealer is making a big mistake.
And if the customer fails to install the part correctly resulting in an accident, causing injury or death, guess who's responsible and liable?

Don't mess around with this, let the process take it course as outlined by the manufacturer.

TainoWarrior
01-18-2018, 11:23 PM
Just got mine notification from my dealership today had to submit my info dealer waiting for parts to arrive .

motoracerx
01-19-2018, 06:44 AM
Maybe a huge lawsuit would create new piaggio/Aprilia ownership.
That may not be all bad. Maybe a 'trump-ian' owner of sorts.

murphc13
01-19-2018, 08:34 AM
Maybe a huge lawsuit would create new piaggio/Aprilia ownership.
That may not be all bad. Maybe a 'trump-ian' owner of sorts.
Not sure who would be more liable....Brembo or Aprilia,Ducati,KTM and MV(If they’re included in this).

motoracerx
01-19-2018, 10:50 AM
This brembo recalls shows further proof of big name brand/ top of the line parts on production motorcycles coming out of factories....aren't so much 'the real deal'.

murphc13
01-19-2018, 11:02 AM
This brembo recalls shows further proof of big name brand/ top of the line parts on production motorcycles coming out of factories....aren't so much 'the real deal'.
I can’t really agree with this.
These masters perform very well in terms of stopping power and feel.
They just changed the piston material for whatever reason and it was a bad move.
Learn and they will move on.

motoracerx
01-20-2018, 07:20 AM
I can’t really agree with this.
These masters perform very well in terms of stopping power and feel.
They just changed the piston material for whatever reason and it was a bad move.
Learn and they will move on.

And I would suggest that the material change was done because it was cheaper.

Why fix what ain't broke. It was probably a cost-cutting move which sacrificied quality and effectiveness.

murphc13
01-20-2018, 08:54 AM
And I would suggest that the material change was done because it was cheaper.

Why fix what ain't broke. It was probably a cost-cutting move which sacrificied quality and effectiveness.
No doubt.Cost cutting/profit increasing.
But it didn’t pay off so it’s gonna cost em more in the long run.
They might be a little slower to try something like this the next time.
Once we get our piston changed our masters are top notch!

motoracerx
01-20-2018, 09:18 AM
Im happy with my OEM mc on my '13 RSV4 race bike. Hated it at first, but after some good bleeding, pads and lines, all is good.

motoracerx
01-20-2018, 09:20 AM
No doubt.Cost cutting/profit increasing.
But it did t pay off so it’s gonna cost em more in the long run.
They might be a little slower to try something like this the next time.
Once we get our piston changed our masters are top notch!

Im happy with my OEM mc on my '13 RSV4 race bike. Hated it at first, but after some good bleeding, pads and lines, all is good.

murphc13
01-20-2018, 09:44 AM
After changing the stock Brembo on my previous bike to a 17RCS I would never change one again.....unless the circumstances were against me ie the nearest dealer is in another country etc.
Never for performance reasons.

Darth Vader
01-21-2018, 06:06 AM
And they won't have the parts until they submit the paperwork for your bike.

As you can imagine, Brembo and Aprilia want to make sure this recall is performed correctly and documented for each VIN affected.
This is why they will not ship the retrofit kit until the dealer does the paperwork for your VIN.

Here is slightly different in the therms of ordering the kit....OZ dealers has been adviced by importer to ORDER kits FOR STOCK to be ready for customers when they will receive letter from importer...
Can not post the official note here but that is written inside... As I said earlier I did order 30 kits for the first wave at 19/12/17 ...still awaiting...

Chip4now
01-21-2018, 07:41 PM
Email received today from Australian importer advising me to contact authorised dealer for the fix.

FastR1Red
01-21-2018, 09:02 PM
Here is slightly different in the therms of ordering the kit....OZ dealers has been adviced by importer to ORDER kits FOR STOCK to be ready for customers when they will receive letter from importer...
Can not post the official note here but that is written inside... As I said earlier I did order 30 kits for the first wave at 19/12/17 ...still awaiting...

Got my letter today as well, but the dealer already knew I was waiting. They expect to unpack the first one today so my RF is booked in for Wednesday.
Apparently they can't order from Aprilia unless they have the recall VIN number attached.

plocky
01-21-2018, 09:35 PM
As I said earlier I did order 30 kits for the first wave at 19/12/17 ...still awaiting...
My kit just arrived at dealer, booked in to have it done.

Email received today from Australian importer advising me to contact authorised dealer for the fix.

aftriathlete
01-22-2018, 09:50 PM
Finally got my letter today, so I assume that means the local dealer will actually order the parts now.

amauri
01-22-2018, 10:15 PM
The letter is just a reminder for the bike's owner to contact the dealer, there is no need to show your dealer the letter.

Aprilia USA entered all the VIN data in the system last week on Jan 8th.
If you contacted your dealer after the 8th, they could have verified your VIN and initiated the paperwork required for the parts to ship automatically.

Of course that would be in a perfect world, and in reality the dealers are probably slammed with everyone calling and asking about this.
So give them enough time to catch up.

aftriathlete
01-22-2018, 10:39 PM
Yeah I think it's the latter, I think it was after the 8th that I contacted them. I could be wrong though. At that time they said they couldn't do anything til I got the letter. So I'll give them a ring this week, hopefully they don't balk at doing the recall work on a MC that I bring to them in a box.

murphc13
01-22-2018, 11:40 PM
Yeah I think it's the latter, I think it was after the 8th that I contacted them. I could be wrong though. At that time they said they couldn't do anything til I got the letter. So I'll give them a ring this week, hopefully they don't balk at doing the recall work on a MC that I bring to them in a box.
They may want it on the bike.

1216bertha
01-23-2018, 05:35 PM
Has anyone in the U.S. have had there recall done yet, or there dealer has the part on the way. The reason why I'm asking is I'm trying to purchase a 17 Tuono RF and the dealer could not sale the bike until the recall is done,it's been a couple of weeks so I emailed the dealer today and asked if they have a time frame when the part will come in. I was told that Aprilia has not gave them a Part# yet so they can't place an order until they get a Part#

Ed / AF1 Racing
01-23-2018, 06:38 PM
Has anyone in the U.S. have had there recall done yet, or there dealer has the part on the way. The reason why I'm asking is I'm trying to purchase a 17 Tuono RF and the dealer could not sale the bike until the recall is done,it's been a couple of weeks so I emailed the dealer today and asked if they have a time frame when the part will come in. I was told that Aprilia has not gave them a Part# yet so they can't place an order until they get a Part#

The dealer needs to file your VIN, and the parts will auto-ship. We got 19 kits today to get us started. We have lots of people lined up and waiting too.

1216bertha
01-23-2018, 06:52 PM
Thanks Ed I will give them a call tomorrow and let them know.

avidflyer
01-23-2018, 11:08 PM
Whats the plan if the dealer is 4 hours away...can I get the parts? Or let the local Ducati dealer do it, seems like there affected also

schaus36
01-24-2018, 09:17 AM
A fella on the Aprilia facebook owners group said he called Aprilia customer service because his dealer wasn't close by. The long and short of it was that they arranged the nearest ducati dealer to carry about the recall for him because it was a brembo recall not an Aprilia recall.

snikwad
01-24-2018, 10:28 AM
A fella on the Aprilia facebook owners group said he called Aprilia customer service because his dealer wasn't close by. The long and short of it was that they arranged the nearest ducati dealer to carry about the recall for him because it was a brembo recall not an Aprilia recall.

Really? I asked my buddy that works at the local Ducati dealer thatbused to carry Aprilia if I could do it there and he said no. I will have to look into this. It would save me the trip up to AF1 an hour and a half away.

Ed / AF1 Racing
01-24-2018, 11:57 AM
very doubtful it can be done anywhere except an Aprilia dealer. Aprilia auto ships the parts, and Aprilia pays the Aprilia dealer the labor. No course of action for anything different.

Brent has them down to about 20 minutes...no air, no real fluid loss....he did 11 of them yesterday.

ts717
01-24-2018, 03:32 PM
Recall notice was in today's mail. Called Sloan's and gave them my vin. Parts ordered. No big deal. Now we'll see how long it takes to get the parts...

snikwad
01-24-2018, 04:37 PM
very doubtful it can be done anywhere except an Aprilia dealer. Aprilia auto ships the parts, and Aprilia pays the Aprilia dealer the labor. No course of action for anything different.

Brent has them down to about 20 minutes...no air, no real fluid loss....he did 11 of them yesterday.

Nice. I guess a trip up there one morning. Get it done and ride back, will be the way I do it.

Ed / AF1 Racing
01-24-2018, 04:41 PM
Nice. I guess a trip up there one morning. Get it done and ride back, will be the way I do it.

email us your VIN and mileage so we can get your parts coming.

snikwad
01-24-2018, 04:48 PM
[emoji95] bam.

FastR1Red
01-24-2018, 09:59 PM
Had mine done yesterday. Invoice said it was a "float" replacement in front master cylinder..
Anyway all good now and brakes feel a lot better since they bled them as well. Last weekends 220km of twisties worked them a bit.

Must be the place I live, I have 4 Aprilia dealers within 1 hour. Closest is 10 minutes away, next is 25 minutes, another about 30 minutes, and the 4th is an hour..LOL

plocky
01-25-2018, 01:05 AM
Had mine done yesterday. Invoice said it was a "float" replacement in front master cylinder..
Anyway all good now and brakes feel a lot better since they bled them as well. Last weekends 220km of twisties worked them a bit.

Must be the place I live, I have 4 Aprilia dealers within 1 hour. Closest is 10 minutes away, next is 25 minutes, another about 30 minutes, and the 4th is an hour..LOL
Just had mine done, "float" means piston in this case.
I left the bike at the shop for an hour, when I returned, tech said that was easy, first one he'd done, took about 30 mins.
Tech showed me my old piston, brown plastic, then showed me a new one from another kit he had, dark metal piston with new seals, dust seal & circlip.
Oh & a green rubber band, lol, I had to ask what the rubber band was for, he showed me the Aprilia recommended procedure info.
Procedure called for rubber band to be placed on brake lever to handle bar & distance measured after piston replacement & MC fluid bleed.
Photos of bikes mileage, VIN plate & brake lever measurement to be forwarded with completion paperwork; possibly more as I just skimmed it quickly.
Brakes are as good as they were before of course & now I have my confidence in them back. :)

SaviorSix
01-25-2018, 02:21 AM
Got my letter this past Saturday and talked to my dealer on Tuesday. They logged my bike in and gave me an estimate of 3 weeks for the parts to come in. Does that sound right? Seems kinda long IMO?

FastR1Red
01-25-2018, 07:01 AM
Just had mine done, "float" means piston in this case.
I left the bike at the shop for an hour, when I returned, tech said that was easy, first one he'd done, took about 30 mins.
Tech showed me my old piston, brown plastic, then showed me a new one from another kit he had, dark metal piston with new seals, dust seal & circlip.
Oh & a green rubber band, lol, I had to ask what the rubber band was for, he showed me the Aprilia recommended procedure info.
Procedure called for rubber band to be placed on brake lever to handle bar & distance measured after piston replacement & MC fluid bleed.
Photos of bikes mileage, VIN plate & brake lever measurement to be forwarded with completion paperwork; possibly more as I just skimmed it quickly.
Brakes are as good as they were before of course & now I have my confidence in them back. :)

Excellent. That's great info. Thanks.

Ed / AF1 Racing
01-25-2018, 12:42 PM
we only got 19 of our 24 initially claimed kits so far. Looks like parts will be trickling in. I'm sure Brembo is behind.

Darth Vader
01-25-2018, 02:40 PM
My kit just arrived at dealer, booked in to have it done.
We got only 20... another 20 will be soon, but that is less half of the estimate we will need...
I did expect that Aprilia will send kits for ALL affected bikes in one go...but as Ed said, looks like that it will drag for a litle...

Darth Vader
01-25-2018, 02:45 PM
Just wondering which way will Aprilia inform about recall owners of the bikes which has multiple changing of the ownership and who are not visiting aprilia dealers, not reading forums or magazines...

plocky
01-25-2018, 05:24 PM
We got only 20... another 20 will be soon, but that is less half of the estimate we will need...
I did expect that Aprilia will send kits for ALL affected bikes in one go...but as Ed said, looks like that it will drag for a litle...
Makes me glad I got in early then, job done & piece of mind. I didn't even get a recall notice letter yet.

Just wondering which way will Aprilia inform about recall owners of the bikes which has multiple changing of the ownership and who are not visiting aprilia dealers, not reading forums or magazines...
good point, Is it not possible for Aprilia to run the known VIN's thru Department of Motor transport registrations to get contact address, or possibly thru service records at dealers if the VIN is logged during service, if not then it would have to be up to the previous owner that gets the Notice to pass it on, if they bother. You still probably wouldn't get them all.
Would appear to be a good idea for second hand bike owners to periodically check their VIN numbers for recalls with a local dealer.

prettykin
01-25-2018, 06:27 PM
Got my letter this past Saturday and talked to my dealer on Tuesday. They logged my bike in and gave me an estimate of 3 weeks for the parts to come in. Does that sound right? Seems kinda long IMO?

I still haven't received an official letter from Aprilia. I called Moto Club Di Santa Monica about 2.5 weeks ago and they logged my VIN/Mileage and ordered the parts. Parts arrived today and work will be done Tomorrow. So I'd say it's within the normal time frame. Remember there are a lot of bikes affected by this recall and I've noticed Aprilia are on the slower end when it comes to parts ordered.

amauri
01-25-2018, 06:38 PM
and I've noticed Aprilia are on the slower end when it comes to parts ordered.

How did you come to that conclusion?

Hearsay on the web, or do you own another brand m/c that is also in need of the Brembo recall.

kadracing
01-25-2018, 07:02 PM
Yep I still haven't heard , from Aprilia or Ducati. Ducati will be contacting people in February. Not holding my breath for Aprilia Australia. Though I don't need it done due to my change of MC. Will be interesting to see how much trouble they go to. I would be nice to know just in case there is another recall some time

murphc13
01-25-2018, 11:55 PM
Iíve received my recall notice earlier this week.
Theres no official Aprilia dealer in Ireland anymore AFAIK.
I cannot imagine you guys in bigger countries having issues with regards contact from Aprilia unless itís an address issue.

In my history with Aprilia v4s all warranty related issues have been carried out quickly and smoothly.
I have no complaints with Aprilia/Piaggio.

kollider2016
01-26-2018, 09:41 PM
My 17' Tuono is affected by the recall but I went down while riding in the canyons pretty hard on NYE. The front wheel disappeared out from under me with zero ABS interaction, . Bike isn't totaled but it definitely got a scratch or two, would bringing her back to proper condition be covered by Aprilia in this situation?

amauri
01-26-2018, 09:58 PM
The brake recall is to prevent a loss of hydraulic fluid pressure caused by the piston leaking.

Your own description of what happened makes me think your accident is not brake related.
If you think Aprilia is at fault, hire a lawyer and an accident investigator before anyone touches the bike.

snikwad
01-27-2018, 12:26 AM
My 17' Tuono is affected by the recall but I went down while riding in the canyons pretty hard on NYE. The front wheel disappeared out from under me with zero ABS interaction, . Bike isn't totaled but it definitely got a scratch or two, would bringing her back to proper condition be covered by Aprilia in this situation?

So you tucked the front and want to blame the brake recall? Lol

plocky
01-27-2018, 12:37 AM
The brake recall is to prevent a loss of hydraulic fluid pressure caused by the piston leaking.

Your own description of what happened makes me think your accident is not brake related.
If you think Aprilia is at fault, hire a lawyer and an accident investigator before anyone touches the bike.
+1 Unless he experienced brake failure; as in lever to the bars with no stopping action, then it is totally rider or road or bike condition related. I think he's clutching at straws.

ABS is not guaranteed to act as a life saver, it is only to prevent the front or back wheel from locking up in extreme braking situations; & depending on the ABS setting, road & tyre conditions & angle of corner entry, may not help before you fall down.
Gadgets/electronic aids on motorcycles do not negate the need for competent rider control, they only assist.

V42016
01-27-2018, 12:56 AM
Nate Kern: "traction control" system does not create traction, it only manages what you have.

Solidus
01-27-2018, 04:38 AM
Is this recall for my RSV4 2010 too?

murphc13
01-27-2018, 07:11 AM
Is this recall for my RSV4 2010 too?
No.Affected models started in 2015/16 as far as I know.

prettykin
01-30-2018, 01:56 AM
How did you come to that conclusion?

Hearsay on the web, or do you own another brand m/c that is also in need of the Brembo recall.

I was referring to ordering Aprilia OEM parts taking forever to arrive in general.

amauri
01-30-2018, 08:56 AM
I was referring to ordering Aprilia OEM parts taking forever to arrive in general.

So are you saying that has been your personal experience or just what you hear?

I work on these bikes every day for a living, I spend an average of $3000 every month on OEM parts and rarely have to wait more than one week for UPS to deliver.
When I place an order, Aprilia's warehouse ships on the next business day.

Some dealers will wait and place orders only once a week, or until they have a large enough order to qualify for free shipping from Aprilia's warehouse.
In many cases parts delays are caused by dealer delays, not Aprilia USA's logistics.

Sonny112
01-30-2018, 11:08 AM
Agreed. Iíve had no issues ordering OEM Aprilia parts through either AF1 or my local dealer.

andyandtherman
01-30-2018, 06:37 PM
Brent at AF1 will be doing my recall work this Saturday. He says he's got it down to being able to do it in 5 minutes now.

avidflyer
01-30-2018, 08:49 PM
Brent at AF1 will be doing my recall work this Saturday. He says he's got it down to being able to do it in 5 minutes now.

Good and bad....really not wanting to make a 8hr round trip drive for a 5min fix....I’ll be making some calls in the morning

v01d
01-31-2018, 05:02 AM
350534'Lo dudes !

Taking my RSV4 '17 for that brake recall job tomorrow morning, finally :burnout:

Btw, check my recall letter? There is nothing about critical recall or loss of brakes. Just 'loss of efficiency under extreme braking'.

I actually went to a track day same day I got this email, and felt fk-all any loss of any efficiency :)

Anyway, happy the job will be done.

Racer X
01-31-2018, 11:25 AM
Good and bad....really not wanting to make a 8hr round trip drive for a 5min fix....Iíll be making some calls in the morning

Donít they have to bleed the system?

I thought they replaced the whole assembly

amauri
01-31-2018, 12:46 PM
Don’t they have to bleed the system?

I thought they replaced the whole assembly

Only the piston is replaced by this recall, and no need to bleed the entire system.

murphc13
01-31-2018, 02:33 PM
Is there a need to remove the master from the clip on to change the piston over?

amauri
01-31-2018, 02:51 PM
No need to remove the master cylinder from the handlebar.

The way I've been doing it is:

-cover bodywork to protect from brake fluid spill
-mark reservoir fluid level (so you can later refill to same level)
-pinch the rubber hose from reservoir and m/c with some locking pliers (prevents fluid leaking once piston is removed)
-remove reservoir cap
-remove brake lever and rubber boot
-remove circlip and extract old piston
-lube new piston and re-install making sure circlip seats correctly
-install new rubber boot and brake lever (do hot squeeze lever yet)
-release clamp from reservoir hose and squeeze hose a few times with pliers
-bleed air from m/c via bleed fitting and fill reservoir to the reference mark
-use supplied green rubber band to apply and hold pressure to brake lever and ck for leaks
-test ride and ck for correct front brake function

The above procedure is a summary of the instructions from Aprilia Tech Bulletin.

Ed / AF1 Racing
01-31-2018, 04:13 PM
No need to remove the master cylinder from the handlebar.

The way I've been doing it is:

-cover bodywork to protect from brake fluid spill
-mark reservoir fluid level (so you can later refill to same level)
-pinch the rubber hose from reservoir and m/c with some locking pliers (prevents fluid leaking once piston is removed)
-remove reservoir cap
-remove brake lever and rubber boot
-remove circlip and extract old piston
-lube new piston and re-install making sure circlip seats correctly
-install new rubber boot and brake lever (do hot squeeze lever yet)
-release clamp from reservoir hose and squeeze hose a few times with pliers
-bleed air from m/c via bleed fitting and fill reservoir to the reference mark
-use supplied green rubber band to apply and hold pressure to brake lever and ck for leaks
-test ride and ck for correct front brake function

The above procedure is a summary of the instructions from Aprilia Tech Bulletin.

exactly how we've been doing them....

SK-RSV4
01-31-2018, 04:20 PM
My local dealer has been in touch with me, they are really helpful if a little laid back sometimes - nothing wrong with that :-)
They say they need to allow around 45 minutes to be sure - sounds reasonable to me if a test ride is recommended

Its now above 10 degrees C here so time to ride !!!

dc10md
02-06-2018, 08:47 PM
I see many of you are getting the recall accomplished. That's great. I'm a little confused about the parts distribution. I purchased a new '17 Tuono at an out of state (for me) dealer. The entire transaction was completed on January 5th and shipping arrangements set up. I have the title in my hand.

And then the recall thing starts. And I'm told Aprilia will not allow the release of any bikes until they are corrected. And I'm totally fine with that. I understand liability concerns. And I am a very patient person. I want it fixed also.

And now it's February 6. And the dealer still has no shipping info on the repair kit. And I am not dogging out the dealer. They have been phenomenal to work with, one of the best if not the best franchise dealerships I've worked with.

Yet looking on here something is not adding up. AF1 has already received 19 kits. And of course they are another great dealer, I get all my parts from them. And I see others are getting their bikes done.

So just looking for some advice or guidance. Is there an Aprilia Rep I can email and get an understanding of the distribution of repair kits?

It's not like the bike is operationally critical. Yet that's a pretty big chunk of cash to just be sitting. I'm in Florida and could be riding. Had a fun ride on my BMW X-Moto last week but would have really rather had the Tuono.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

murphc13
02-06-2018, 11:58 PM
I see many of you are getting the recall accomplished. That's great. I'm a little confused about the parts distribution. I purchased a new '17 Tuono at an out of state (for me) dealer. The entire transaction was completed on January 5th and shipping arrangements set up. I have the title in my hand.

And then the recall thing starts. And I'm told Aprilia will not allow the release of any bikes until they are corrected. And I'm totally fine with that. I understand liability concerns. And I am a very patient person. I want it fixed also.

And now it's February 6. And the dealer still has no shipping info on the repair kit. And I am not dogging out the dealer. They have been phenomenal to work with, one of the best if not the best franchise dealerships I've worked with.

Yet looking on here something is not adding up. AF1 has already received 19 kits. And of course they are another great dealer, I get all my parts from them. And I see others are getting their bikes done.

So just looking for some advice or guidance. Is there an Aprilia Rep I can email and get an understanding of the distribution of repair kits?

It's not like the bike is operationally critical. Yet that's a pretty big chunk of cash to just be sitting. I'm in Florida and could be riding. Had a fun ride on my BMW X-Moto last week but would have really rather had the Tuono.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Id ring Aprilia customer services(Piaggio) and ask them how this is gonna work out.

aftriathlete
02-07-2018, 11:54 AM
Just talked to the local Aprilia dealer and they won’t do the recall on the OEM master cylinder unless it’s installed on the bike.

amauri
02-07-2018, 01:06 PM
Just talked to the local Aprilia dealer and they won’t do the recall on the OEM master cylinder unless it’s installed on the bike.

that is a smart dealer

Ed / AF1 Racing
02-07-2018, 01:11 PM
doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the ship out of recall parts. Getting a few in every so often it seems, we're still lagging behind what needs to be done. I'm sure Brembo is working overtime to make the approx. 10,000 kits they need for all the brands. All you can do is make sure your dealer has filed your VIN and wait for the call.

jutah
02-08-2018, 01:46 PM
doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the ship out of recall parts. Getting a few in every so often it seems, we're still lagging behind what needs to be done. I'm sure Brembo is working overtime to make the approx. 10,000 kits they need for all the brands. All you can do is make sure your dealer has filed your VIN and wait for the call.

Are they on Back order Ed?
I'm being told 8 - 12 weeks by my dealer... Seems a bit excessive for a recall part, but maybe I'm just impatient...

Ed / AF1 Racing
02-08-2018, 02:53 PM
Are they on Back order Ed?
I'm being told 8 - 12 weeks by my dealer... Seems a bit excessive for a recall part, but maybe I'm just impatient...

we don't have a way to check stock status. they are auto-shipping the parts outside of the normal parts channels.

wristpin
02-09-2018, 03:41 PM
Do dealers have to use the pads tool to activate the abs pump as part of the process?

amauri
02-09-2018, 03:47 PM
The PADS does not have the option of activating the ABS pump, it sure would make bleeding the system easier if it did.

wristpin
02-09-2018, 09:35 PM
So no need to hook up to pads for any reason then for this recall, good.

Ed / AF1 Racing
02-09-2018, 11:08 PM
So no need to hook up to pads for any reason then for this recall, good.

Not needed, but might as well check for any updates while you are in there. Depending on year, there might be map, dash or amp updates applicable

dc10md
02-10-2018, 04:00 PM
Thanks for all of the info. My dealer was finally able to get one. Yes only one kit and my bike is now ready shipping next week. I do understand this is a massive recall and I'm sure the manufacturers are doing everything they can to remedy it. Yet being so massive better communication on the logistics of repair kits is even more important. I'm sure they know roughly how many kits can be produced a day. So, say take 75% of that number for cushion and develop a distribution schedule to keep people informed. Aside from the primary safety concern it is also an economic burden to dealers that have inventory they can't release. Having a plan for when parts are coming is far better than "we just don't know". Wow that was hard for me to accept.

Anyway enough of my commentary. Again, thank you all for the info on here. This forum is really helpful.

Dave S.

schaus36
02-10-2018, 06:04 PM
I got in touch my with my local dealer in Ontario. He said that Aprilia hasn't released the VINs of the affected Canadian bikes yet, and they will be in roughly two weeks. Apparently he has already ordered and received the warranty repair kits for the bikes he has sold.

1216bertha
02-15-2018, 12:27 PM
This recall is killing me , It's been 5 weeks waiting to purchase a 17 Tuono Factory still nothing. I asked the Dealer if I could buy a different master cylinder but they have not got back to me on this.

ts717
02-28-2018, 12:15 PM
Finally got the call. Brake recall parts are in for my RSV4. Got an appointment for Monday after I get back from Daytona SX

1216bertha
02-28-2018, 12:25 PM
I've been waiting since around Jan 10th for this recall to take place, I've been trying to get a 17 Tuono Factory. All I hear from the dealer is maybe next week or our Rep says 2 more weeks, or they shipped from Italy give us another couple of weeks.
This is getting very frustrating, I'm almost ready to move on and buy something different. Worst experience in my 35 years of riding.

ts717
02-28-2018, 12:36 PM
I've been waiting since around Jan 10th for this recall to take place, I've been trying to get a 17 Tuono Factory. All I hear from the dealer is maybe next week or our Rep says 2 more weeks, or they shipped from Italy give us another couple of weeks.
This is getting very frustrating, I'm almost ready to move on and buy something different. Worst experience in my 35 years of riding.

Understand the frustration. Waited almost 2 months for my 17 after putting down deposit last spring. My opinion. Itís worth the wait. Hang in there...

amauri
02-28-2018, 12:50 PM
Really unbelivable that Brembo and Aprilia would do this, announce a worldwide recall before stocking up the warehouses with this simple and cheap parts kit.
Double shame on them that brand new bikes sitting on the showroom floor can't be sold because dealers are still waiting for the parts.

Aprilia knows how many bikes have been shipped worldwide so why is this happening?

They are loosing customers who are tired of waiting with $$ in hand but can't buy a hew V4.
And I know of at least one major West Coast dealer who's no longer selling Aprilias because as the service mgr told me, "this was the last straw"

BTW, that same dealer also told me they aren't experiencing any delays getting the same Brembo parts kit for the affected Ducati bikes.

Rvee
02-28-2018, 02:16 PM
Clearly sounding like a failure in their supply chain. After reading this I made sure to ask 3x and saw it as an itemization on the invoice before pulling the trigger on the '17... didn't want to have a purchased bike sitting at a dealer for 2 more months.

murphc13
02-28-2018, 03:07 PM
Really unbelivable that Brembo and Aprilia would do this, announce a worldwide recall before stocking up the warehouses with this simple and cheap parts kit.
Double shame on them that brand new bikes sitting on the showroom floor can't be sold because dealers are still waiting for the parts.

Aprilia knows how many bikes have been shipped worldwide so why is this happening?

They are loosing customers who are tired of waiting with $$ in hand but can't buy a hew V4.
And I know of at least one major West Coast dealer who's no longer selling Aprilias because as the service mgr told me, "this was the last straw"

BTW, that same dealer also told me they aren't experiencing any delays getting the same Brembo parts kit for the affected Ducati bikes.
Could it be that Brembo are prioritising Duc over Ape?

1216bertha
02-28-2018, 04:55 PM
Yes it's been very frustrating, I even had the dealer ask his rep if I could buy the Brembo RCS master cylinder and have the dealership put it on because I was going to replace the stock MC anyway. The dealer said Aprilia won't release the bike.

TainoWarrior
02-28-2018, 05:19 PM
Waited nearly 2 months for the recall to be resolved I been calling the dealership GP Motorsports every week and same thing should be here next week . I hoping there not stalling my repair had a bad experience with this dealership and gave them a bad review.

EricD
02-28-2018, 07:43 PM
I didn't realize this was such a hassle, neither did I realize how lucky I got with the process.

I called my local dealer, asked for them to order the kit asap since track day season was about to start. They received the parts within 2 weeks and the recall itself was done the same day.

snikwad
02-28-2018, 07:58 PM
I'm in the que for the next batch to be shipped to af1.
I never imagined it would take this long. No worries tho, I'm still riding. I've only been engaging the rear abs lately. [emoji23]
Hopefully they get sorted next month.

2milles
02-28-2018, 10:52 PM
too much drama for me. I went out and got the brembo radial cylinder upgrade and invested the half hour to install it with fine results. beats loading the bike in the truck and driving the 2 1/2 hours

snikwad
03-01-2018, 11:34 PM
Wrote yesterday that I was still waiting and got the email that my part was in this morning.
Went and got her done this afternoon.

murphc13
03-02-2018, 05:38 AM
too much drama for me. I went out and got the brembo radial cylinder upgrade and invested the half hour to install it with fine results. beats loading the bike in the truck and driving the 2 1/2 hours
If anything goes wrong with your brakes I’m pretty sure your warranty will be denied.This is why I’m getting the recall done and I have to travel approx 5-6 hours drive +3-4 hr ferry.
you don’t know how lucky you are to have a dealer 2.5 hours away.

OlliW
03-02-2018, 08:18 AM
My dealer is 30 kms away and I am having this done on the first service.
Bike is 0 kms and it is -20 here so it will take some time before the service is due :)

GixxerMKD
03-02-2018, 01:56 PM
Mine was done today :)

1216bertha
03-04-2018, 06:01 AM
I finally got the call that the bike I been trying to purchase since jan 10th from the recall was ready. I did a 14hr round trip yesterday to get the Tuono. Now I will spend the day to get off all of those stickers.

scotman623
03-04-2018, 10:49 AM
I finally got the call that the bike I been trying to purchase since jan 10th from the recall was ready. I did a 14hr round trip yesterday to get the Tuono. Now I will spend the day to get off all of those stickers.

The ones on the rear swingarm are a real bitch to get off!!!Hell!!! everyone of them were a pain to remove!!! NOT FUN

rayrey
03-17-2018, 05:25 PM
as of yesterday I've been waiting 3 months for GP Motors to call me to bring my bike down to get tho recall completed. this is my My third Aprilia and will be my Last between the company and the dealers its been a bad 11 years. wish they were committed to us as I was to them

TainoWarrior
03-19-2018, 12:37 AM
i'm on he same boat to ray i got the call last week taking my RF on the 27th

amauri
03-19-2018, 08:05 AM
as of yesterday I've been waiting 3 months for GP Motors to call me to bring my bike down to get tho recall completed.

When did you call GP to schedule the install?

a bathing ape
03-19-2018, 04:46 PM
Still waiting for my dealer to get the parts in to do the recall. I really can't blame Aprilia for this, but their lack of eagerness to get this done is a little bothersome.

Ed / AF1 Racing
03-19-2018, 04:49 PM
Still waiting for my dealer to get the parts in to do the recall. I really can't blame Aprilia for this, but their lack of eagerness to get this done is a little bothersome.

make sure they really have them on order. We've ordered more as recently as 10 days ago, and they have all arrived. We've done 42 recalls so far.

Mr.Alex
03-21-2018, 09:40 AM
Wonder what you guys think about his; I purchases my bike in the start of December,a left over 2016 RR. Knew about the recall shortly after but the dealer where I want to take it is about an hour out and so far the Northeast winter doesn't want to let go so I didn't bother arranging any plans to bring it in. Yesterday i emailed him to finally order the parts (hoping this storm happening at this moment is the last one), and he asks me for my notice. I completely forgot about it, but I also never received it, so what gives? Entering the VIN on the site obviously brings up the recall campaign.

murphc13
03-21-2018, 11:11 AM
Wonder what you guys think about his; I purchases my bike in the start of December,a left over 2016 RR. Knew about the recall shortly after but the dealer where I want to take it is about an hour out and so far the Northeast winter doesn't want to let go so I didn't bother arranging any plans to bring it in. Yesterday i emailed him to finally order the parts (hoping this storm happening at this moment is the last one), and he asks me for my notice. I completely forgot about it, but I also never received it, so what gives? Entering the VIN on the site obviously brings up the recall campaign.
I would havwas thought that a genuinely affected VIN and proof of identity would be enough.

snikwad
03-21-2018, 11:13 AM

AF1 did mine. It was posted on the site.
I've never seen a notice in the mail about it.

murphc13
03-21-2018, 12:01 PM
Snik,Piaggio have to send owners a letter explaining the recall.
I guess,even in the internet obsessed modern world,one cannot ‘expect’ another to have access!

Ed / AF1 Racing
03-21-2018, 12:15 PM
VIN and mileage is all we have to submit to Aprilia to get the parts auto-shipped to us. Then get you in for the work, and then mark the recall as DONE in the warranty system, so they pay us.

snikwad
03-21-2018, 01:38 PM
Snik,Piaggio have to send owners a letter explaining the recall.
I guess,even in the internet obsessed modern world,one cannot Ďexpectí another to have access!

Nope. As I said. Mine been done. I have yet to receive a letter. I thought so too, but Ed said to send my info. The part was ordered. It showed up and I got it done.

Mr.Alex
03-21-2018, 09:23 PM
Thanks guy, you are right. The dealer said it its fine and he will just submit the claim and let me know when the parts come in. For a second was slightly worried, because I loosely remember someone saying the dealer couldn't have submitted the claim till the notice came in. But looks like that is false. First track day is end of April, lets see if it works. Meanwhile there is a snow storm outside my window in NY.

erick1670
03-23-2018, 01:55 PM
Will the mc from my salvage bike be cover?

amauri
03-23-2018, 02:06 PM
Only if the you take the complete bike to the dealer and the VIN is on the recall list.

In other words, you can't take the m/c by itself to the dealer and have the recall parts installed.

erick1670
03-23-2018, 03:30 PM
Ok....

This would apply to any recall on any other part of the bike, right?

Obviously warranty is ended as the bike became salvage.

Ed / AF1 Racing
03-23-2018, 05:35 PM
a VIN is a VIN, they don't check the title status of the VIN. If the VIN is on the list, they auto-ship the parts, and pay the dealer the labor.

murphc13
03-24-2018, 10:27 AM
a VIN is a VIN, they don't check the title status of the VIN. If the VIN is on the list, they auto-ship the parts, and pay the dealer the labor.
So do the parts get shipped automatically to the dealer where the bike was bought?

amauri
03-24-2018, 01:23 PM
That would make much sense now would it?

snikwad
03-24-2018, 01:32 PM
So do the parts get shipped automatically to the dealer where the bike was bought?

No. dealers close. Bikes sell. People move. The part goes to whatever dealer you report and bring the VIN to.

My bike was sold in Houston, af1 did my recall in austin.

murphc13
03-26-2018, 07:11 AM
No. dealers close. Bikes sell. People move. The part goes to whatever dealer you report and bring the VIN to.

My bike was sold in Houston, af1 did my recall in austin.

I didn’t think so either.But after reading Eds post above i wasn’t sure.

Ed / AF1 Racing
03-26-2018, 11:58 AM
for clarification...they will auto ship the parts to the dealer who files that recall VIN. Not who sold it. All the repairing dealer needs to do is submit the VIN and miles for the bike they plan to recall update.

murphc13
03-26-2018, 04:38 PM
for clarification...they will auto ship the parts to the dealer who files that recall VIN. Not who sold it. All thre repairing dealer needs to do is submit the VIN and miles for the bike they plan to recall update.
Thanks Ed.

brooklyn86
05-07-2018, 09:05 AM
Does anyone know if thereís still a shortage on these Brembo parts/kits?

I gave my VIN to my local dealer in SoCal for my Ď17 RSV4RR almost 3 months ago and still havenít gotten the call that itís in.

Is this normal? Do different dealers get them at different rates?

amauri
05-07-2018, 09:08 AM
what's your VIN

brooklyn86
05-07-2018, 01:58 PM
what's your VIN

Hey Amauri,

Iíll shoot over the VIN via PM now. Thanks

KnoxRider
05-08-2018, 06:57 PM
Meh, just mounted my spare RCS19.........

brooklyn86
05-08-2018, 08:39 PM
Does anyone know if thereís still a shortage on these Brembo parts/kits?

I gave my VIN to my local dealer in SoCal for my Ď17 RSV4RR almost 3 months ago and still havenít gotten the call that itís in.

Is this normal? Do different dealers get them at different rates?

Update: Called my dealership this morning and they told me the parts are in after they put me on hold and looked in the back.

Went today after work and got it done. 🤙🏾

murphc13
05-21-2018, 02:49 AM
I got a little fluid leak on the lever after yesterdays ride.
Recall to be carried out this coming Wednesday.
Anyone else have something similar?