PDA

View Full Version : clutch not working after installing aftermarket lever

bram89
12-01-2017, 01:35 AM
Hey all

Picked up a 2016 RF a couple weeks ago. My hands are fairly small and the stock clutch lever was a bit of a reach for me. I bought and installed an ASV clutch lever today, but after installing it the clutch doesn't seem to be working properly. First time Ive ever went with aftermarket levers so forgive the stupid questions.

after installing the new lever, the bike wont fire up when in gear and the clutch lever pulled all the way in. bike starts no problem when I pop it into neutral.

What did I do wrong and how should I go about fixing it?

Also, I noticed the lever doesn't sit flush with the perch, not sure if thats normal?

plocky
12-01-2017, 02:29 AM
There is a clutch safety switch on the perch; so you need to make sure it is engaging as it should with the stock lever. It prevents starting bike in gear unless it is engaged with clutch lever pulled in & is also used by the ECU to determine Quick shifter enabling.

bram89
12-01-2017, 02:34 AM
yep i installed that correctly (I think). when i pull in the clutch lever, the lever does not touch the safety switch.

plocky
12-01-2017, 03:01 AM
yep, that sounds about right; see pic.
Did you disturb the connector or wires to the switch?
Something you did is the most likely cause if there wasn't a problem before you changed the lever.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=345787&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1510150899 (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=345787&d=1510150899)

amauri
12-01-2017, 09:36 AM
There is a bushing in the original lever that must be removed and re-installed in the new lever, did you do that?

bram89
12-01-2017, 10:07 AM
hm i used the bushing that came with the ASV lever (per ASV's instructions). I'll try swapping the OEM one back in. I can't wrap my head around why the original bushing would solve this problem though? I dont see how that would affect the lever's placement?

bram89
12-01-2017, 10:08 AM
yep, that sounds about right; see pic.
Did you disturb the connector or wires to the switch?
Something you did is the most likely cause if there wasn't a problem before you changed the lever.

is it normal if when the clutch lever is fully released (aka im not touching it), for it not to sit flush with the perch? i can force it to sit flush, but once i pull the lever it, it wont "rebound" back to a position where it is flush again. I hope that makes sense lol

amauri
12-01-2017, 10:42 AM
hm i used the bushing that came with the ASV lever (per ASV's instructions). I'll try swapping the OEM one back in. I can't wrap my head around why the original bushing would solve this problem though? I dont see how that would affect the lever's placement?

If the ASV lever came with a bushing, that's the one you should use.

Most aftermarket levers don't come with a bushing and I've seen a few cases where it was left out.
Apparently not in your case though.

Dirk.diggler
12-01-2017, 11:12 AM
Do you need to remove the threaded hex insert from the clutch perch?
i had to when fitting Evotech levers to my 16 not sure if ASV need this as well .. that could be why it isn’t sitting flush

a_f
12-01-2017, 11:35 AM
Hey all

Picked up a 2016 RF a couple weeks ago. My hands are fairly small and the stock clutch lever was a bit of a reach for me. I bought and installed an ASV clutch lever today, but after installing it the clutch doesn't seem to be working properly. First time Ive ever went with aftermarket levers so forgive the stupid questions.

after installing the new lever, the bike wont fire up when in gear and the clutch lever pulled all the way in. bike starts no problem when I pop it into neutral.

What did I do wrong and how should I go about fixing it?

Also, I noticed the lever doesn't sit flush with the perch, not sure if thats normal?

It happens with the Rsv4. If the new lever has its own adjuster, try the setting that gives more travel.
Some aftermarket levers are nicely machined, have additional adjusters and look beautiful...but the lever ratio and the travel is not always better that the oem, and often they engage the clutch poorly.

bram89
12-01-2017, 11:36 AM
i had to when fitting Evotech levers to my 16 not sure if ASV need this as well .. that could be why it isn’t sitting flush

I'll take another look tonight.

I'm still stumped as to why the clutch isn't working properly. Even after adjusting the knob on the clutch cable (near the handle bars) all the way in and all the way out, the clutch still doesn't work when i pull in the lever. Do I need to adjust the clutch cable length?

amauri
12-01-2017, 11:48 AM

That only applies to the TV4, never seen that insert on a RSV4

YellowSF848
12-01-2017, 02:42 PM
Is it possible for you to get a photo or video of the lever not sitting flush. Also, have you tried to set the new lever all the way out to max(far away) settings and see if that helps the pull?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bram89
12-01-2017, 03:00 PM
Is it possible for you to get a photo or video of the lever not sitting flush. Also, have you tried to set the new lever all the way out to max(far away) settings and see if that helps the pull?

I'll come back with photos in a few hours.

I tried adjusting the lever all the way out, and all the way in, no dice.

I tried adjusting the clutch engagement point using the knob/wheel next to the handlebar all the way out, and all the way in. no dice either.

at this point im thinking that clutch cable is now too long, so even with the lever pulled in it is not engaging the clutch. I dont know how ot adjust the cable length though. I see a couple nuts at the base of the cable (aka right on top of the clutch cover), but didn't want to touch that just yet.

bram89
12-01-2017, 03:02 PM
It happens with the Rsv4. If the new lever has its own adjuster, try the setting that gives more travel.
Some aftermarket levers are nicely machined, have additional adjusters and look beautiful...but the lever ratio and the travel is not always better that the oem, and often they engage the clutch poorly.

if i disturbed these cables, would the bike still start in neutral? right now it starts fine in neutral, but it wont start when in gear and the clutch lever is pulled in

Dirk.diggler
12-01-2017, 03:04 PM
Yup right again amauri mine was a Tv4 sorry for any confusion, strange though they are different on each model but Aprilia must have a reason I suppose

YellowSF848
12-01-2017, 03:06 PM
You are correct, you can adjust the cable down at the base with the two nuts that you see. Hit up YouTube for a quick how to understanding and you should be able to adjust it fairly easy. I agree that it sounds like the clutch is not engaging all the way, mean an adjustment might just solve your problem once and for all.

I'd search up the video I'm thinking of but I'm currently at work and don't wanna get yelled at for watching motorcycle videos again :)

bram89
12-01-2017, 03:10 PM
You are correct, you can adjust the cable down at the base with the two nuts that you see. Hit up YouTube for a quick how to understanding and you should be able to adjust it fairly easy. I agree that it sounds like the clutch is not engaging all the way, mean an adjustment might just solve your problem once and for all.

I'd search up the video I'm thinking of but I'm currently at work and don't wanna get yelled at for watching motorcycle videos again :)

thanks!! i will see if i can find that video..

when i get home, I'll take some photos/videos, then i'm going to reinstall the OEM lever to make sure everything still works. this way i can rule out electrical problems. then i will try reinstalling the ASV lever, and if it still doesn't work I will adjust the cable using the two nuts above the clutch cover.

Magsz
12-01-2017, 05:28 PM
Keep us updated.

I just picked up the appropriate ASV levers as well which...wont work right now.

I guess I received new, old stock that doesn't include the right "nub" or clutch perch dongle. ASV is sending me the updated piece but...man....im so impatient.

Here's to hoping I have no issues mounting it on my Tuono when the part arrives.

plocky
12-01-2017, 06:13 PM
is it normal if when the clutch lever is fully released (aka im not touching it), for it not to sit flush with the perch? i can force it to sit flush, but once i pull the lever it, it wont "rebound" back to a position where it is flush again. I hope that makes sense lol
If you mean clutch lever freeplay, then yes it won't sit flush, 1-3mm is normal cable freeplay.

https://s8.postimg.org/rlvgb81xh/Clapture.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

if i disturbed these cables, would the bike still start in neutral? right now it starts fine in neutral, but it wont start when in gear and the clutch lever is pulled in
When you say it won't start in gear with lever pulled in, do you mean that the starter doesn't engage? if so then it must be electrical as in the clutch switch operation.

This from my manual, if you don't have one, get one from AF1, makes troubleshooting a lot easier.

Clutch lever sensor
Function; It tells the clutch lever position to the control unit.
Operation / Operating principle; If there is gear engaged but the clutch is pulled, i.e. circuit closed to ground, vehicle start-up is not enabled.
Level in electrical circuit diagram: Start-up enabling switches Location:
• on the vehicle: on the handlebar. • connector: on the sensor.
Electrical specifications:
• Clutch engaged: closed circuit (continuity) • Clutch released: open circuit (infinite resistance).
Pin out:
1. voltage 5V 2. ground connection

bram89
12-01-2017, 08:44 PM
Update:

I have good news and bad news, but first I wanted to say THANKS to everyone for pitching in to help me solve this issue.

I'll start with the bad news: I'm a moron and I don't deserve this bike.

Good news: SHE'S WORKING AGAIN!!

How did I fix it you ask... well.. I put the kickstand up.. and she fired right up when in gear and the clutch pulled in... god I am such a doofus, it never even crossed my mind that it could be the kickstand.

but once again, thank you to everyone who took the time to reply to this thread! looking forward to getting to know you guys better (and asking more retarded questions LOL)

plocky
12-01-2017, 09:00 PM
Hahahaha, well none of us thought that you would try starting it in gear with the kickstand down. Will have to remember that as a standard check. lol.

Actually a while back I did something similar: I got on my bike & started it, warmed it up & the pulled clutch & put it in gear, bike stalled, repeated 3 times before I realised the kick stand was still down. Those safety switches can sure save you riding off & falling cause the side stand is down, but they can make you look pretty stupid when you don't realise.
Lucky the new '17 & '18 bikes have a side stand light on the dash as well.;)

bram89
12-01-2017, 09:25 PM
this experience will be forever etched in my memory, which hopefully means i dont repeat the same mistake again

also, to follow up on the lever not sitting flush with the perch, it seems the issue resolved itself.. sort of at least. the little nub that is supposed to engage the safety switch also rubs against part of the perch. some material on the perch ended up being grinded away by it.. thus the lever now rests ~3mm away from the perch lol

YellowSF848
12-01-2017, 10:01 PM
Lol at least you got it figured out! The best part means you don't have to tear your bike apart :)

Darth Vader
12-01-2017, 10:38 PM
I have found that insert very usefull for using on RSV4 with OEM levers especially for guys with short fingers...;)