PDA

View Full Version : Chipped up mirror stalks

KnoxRider
11-08-2017, 08:48 PM
So looking at winter projects

The mirror stalks on my 2016 RF are badly chipped up. Me thinks they should have specified hard anodizing, not regular

Regardless, thinking of options - reanodize, powder coat, decals (?), also thinking about trying to do the italian flag color motif as well

thoughts?

Spudder
11-09-2017, 04:17 AM

The mirror stalks on my 2016 RF are badly chipped up. Me thinks they should have specified hard anodizing, not regular

Regardless, thinking of options - reanodize, powder coat, decals (?), also thinking about trying to do the italian flag color motif as well

thoughts?
I've just bought a set of mirrors from a 2016 which were / are badly chipped for my 2011 aprc SE,
I was initially thinking strip them and get them powder coated but not sure how they come apart and didn't want to break the mirror part getting it off, so thought of a carbon wrap ? then in the end just a quick 2 mins with some wet and dry and then everything masked up other than the plastic cover on the back of the stalk which I removed and the rubber bit on the end, gave it a coat of Satin black and its like new again.
1 hr tops, might be able to see what's going on behind me now without lifting my arm and elbow. Paid 100 the pair from ebay.

DarK_SpY
11-09-2017, 08:57 PM

thoughts?

the mirrors of my girlfriend rsv4 are chipped as well... also thinking of powder coat, or i saw this post here on the forum about chalkboards tape
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?334338-Scotch-Chalkboard-tape-for-mirrors&highlight=Chalkboards

KnoxRider
11-21-2017, 11:05 PM
the mirrors of my girlfriend rsv4 are chipped as well... also thinking of powder coat, or i saw this post here on the forum about chalkboards tape
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?334338-Scotch-Chalkboard-tape-for-mirrors&highlight=Chalkboards

Man, that looks like a great option

plocky
11-22-2017, 12:12 AM
Man, that looks like a great option
yep! I'm going to do that to mine too. The chips are getting bigger & more numerous as time goes by.

stu_h
11-22-2017, 12:44 AM
few people i know with them have put carbon look wrap over them , looks pretty good !

Zektiv
11-22-2017, 03:36 PM
might be able to see what's going on behind me now without lifting my arm and elbow.

I thought about doing this to my '12 but the new style mirrors don't seem all that much better. I rode a '17 and found the mirrors to be only marginally better. Have you installed them yet? I'd *love* to be able to see something aside from my arms.

Spudder
11-23-2017, 06:16 AM
I thought about doing this to my '12 but the new style mirrors don't seem all that much better. I rode a '17 and found the mirrors to be only marginally better. Have you installed them yet? I'd *love* to be able to see something aside from my arms.

No not yet, but a few on here have and recommended it. Weather in Uk is not biking weather at the moment so bike is under covers in the corner until spring.

OlliW
11-23-2017, 08:47 AM
I have covered the leading edge of the stems with satin black electrical tape, seems to do the job.

snikwad
11-23-2017, 06:13 PM
I've not seen a bike with any real street miles that aren't chipped up on the stalk. It's just thin paint I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk