PDA

View Full Version : Flushing cooling sys & bleeding

beanarillo
03-13-2003, 07:23 PM
Seeing as i still haven't got myself a soddin' manual, can anyone advise on how best to flush & clean my cooling system and then how to refill it and make sure there are no airlocks.

The bike hasn't been run for 3 years and looks like its just got water in it, no inhibitor.

Thanks guys
Beanarillo;)

ecumike
03-13-2003, 08:52 PM
I just did this yesterday..
There's 2 cylinder drain plugs on the left side of the bike, 1 on each cylinder.. it's a little 10MM (I think) bolt, that's concave looking on the top... be careful, cuz it'll shoot out like the bike's takin a piss. Don't forget to take the radiator cap off so it all drains out.
Then on the right side, the hose that connects to the bottom right of the radiator.. undo that clamp and drain it there.

Also, while that's going, there's a drain/bleeder plug on the TOP right of the radiator, take that puppy off. Then, if you can, lean the bike to the left and right, draining as much as you can.

Now, for filling, I plug everything up except the top right bleeder bolt... start filling it up, and try and watch the level throught that little bleeder hole.. when it gets near the top, I stop and squeeze the bottom right tubes, to try and squeeze/force the air up and out of them, fill more, repeat, put bleeder bolt back on. Fill close to the top of the cap hole, and do the squeezing thing again.

I've always done this and it seems to work well for me.

To be safe, afterwards run it and get it up to temperature so the coolant moves around, then let it cool off and take the cap off and check the level, maybe squeeze the tubes again to see if you can get any more air bubbles to come out the top.

Then end.

wsmc667
03-13-2003, 09:07 PM
there's another bleed, too, located on the top of the water pump, near the clutch cable. i remove this one then the one at the top of the radiator.

:)

beanarillo
03-17-2003, 06:13 PM
Ta for the help dudes, would never have known to do all that.

beanarillo
03-29-2003, 06:51 PM
Ta Chris for the tip about the water pump bleed. Got several airlocks out of that after doing everything else. Real helpful
Beanarillo;)

wsmc667
03-30-2003, 03:11 PM
thanks Beanarillo, glad to help out! :) chris