PDA

View Full Version : Buying RS250 what else to look for

Cannon Fodder MOO
04-22-2003, 03:37 AM
I'm currently looking at trading my falco on an RS250.

I've read the thread on what to look for in a second hand RS and wanted to ask some questions.

today I rode an RS with "racing" in silver on the farings (dunno what year think its 98, it has champ stickers on the tank to 97 :rolleyes: ) Took 20km's to stop blowing thick white/grey stinky smoke, but my friend noticed all the smoke was coming out of the bottom pipe. Is this normal?

Thh bike squated heaps, i didn't play with the settings but will i need new springs for my 85kg/190lb mass.

Oh its done 10 000km's and has crap tyres.
Asking price $8000au
scratches on lhs faring.

oh and i road it for two and a half hours through the hills today and apart from sore wrists from heavy braking it seemed to go ok. I need to ask the questions though as i haven't had a bike like this for about 10 years.

oh and can i bounce it off the rev limiter all day or not, it seemed real easy to do!

dowzerr
04-22-2003, 09:39 AM
what rev limiter?
if its silver its probably an older model, did it have a digital speedo? may have been smoking coz you didnt warm it up. Dont ride anywhere til its at at least 50Celsius.

Cannon Fodder MOO
04-23-2003, 03:26 AM
Sorry black faring with silver lettering, now i'm pretty sure its a 98.

It (the bike :p ) was over 50 degrees celsius when I was in the hills and it smoked for a while. I wsn't sure if it was clearing oil build up in the pipe or what. Also I thought smoke out of only the one pipe seemed strange. when i stopped after 40km's the pipes were dripping oil.

spanairRS125
04-23-2003, 06:30 AM
Yeah that is normal. You will see lots of bacl drops on the top of the bttom exhaust. And they do smoke ALOT :eek:

all normal since mine does the same really.

adam
04-23-2003, 12:55 PM
dunno if this is right or not !!!!!!!!!

but i think i heard somewhere (probably here!) that the uneven smoking from the exhausts was coz the crank cases were different volumes (or shapes maybe)...??

but yeah they all do it - but it shouldn't smoke a lot when warm, but loads cold....

had it been standing a while? How fresh was the petrol?

spanairRS125
04-23-2003, 02:12 PM
All these is normal really, when cold they smoke alot, and when warm they still smoke when u give em gas. Also, 1 smokes more than the other, mines does it as well.

They have different bore sizes for each 1 of the 2 carbs:

56 mm / 50,6 mm

so I would guess maybe, just maybe that has something to do with more smoke from 1 to than the other. Also they do run at different temps i think aswell, not sure about the last bit tho.

Cannon Fodder MOO
04-23-2003, 11:44 PM
well thanks for the feedback guys :D

i've been pricing around and the dealer who had the 98 for $8000au had a 2000 for $9500au but another dealer had a 2000 for $9000 (6000km's).

I think the 98 i rode was overpriced so when the falco's sold I'll try and get a 2000 for about $8500.

God i love to spend money

adam
04-24-2003, 08:31 AM
sorry to be maybe a bit pedantic...

the carbs on a rs250 are the same size on each side.

the main jets are different - but this wont effect the uneven smoking because main jets are not a huge part of tickover!!!

IMHO / my $0.02 or pence or euro or WTF? !!

personally i wouldn't touch a 2nd hand 2 stroke with a barge pole

i wouldn't buy any one that smoked a lot once warm.

i'm not saying that every 2nd RS is a dog (hey i might wanna sell mine one day LOL) but this is a bike where a bit of abuse or neglect means a lot of problems.

i mean hey if ur ok with rebuilding the engine, measuring all the clearances etc etc then get anyone u want, but if this seems like a ball ache then buy as new, low mileage & looked after as u can afford!!

doc wat
04-24-2003, 09:35 PM
Just to add a p.s. to everyone else, try getting one with a service history and make sure top grade 2stroke oil has been used.

Cannon Fodder MOO
04-24-2003, 09:43 PM
Thanks guys, further research has found some 99 track bikes (2 left to choose from) for about $5500 au.

From what you say i'm thinking as long as i can afford a rebuild and the bikes straight a track bike will be ok. That is to say if I can buy and rebuild for cheaper than a well looked after 1 owner I'll be fine. Anyhow i'm planning to bracket race it occasionaly (at the back of the field :p ) so it'll probably end up on its side sooner or later.