PDA

View Full Version : Conveting a 97' to 03'

SoCal249
04-28-2003, 06:00 PM
Can it be done, and what's needed to convert. Will the fairings bolt up?

SoCal249
04-28-2003, 06:01 PM
Sorry for that.

conway
04-28-2003, 07:34 PM
So you missed an r, big deal. Just don't miss a gear at 12,000 RPM. Goog Luck.

RegganiRS250
04-29-2003, 09:24 AM
There is no 03 RS250, but to get it to a 02 the parts list is long. Basically you need everything for the front suspension: forks,triples, clip ons, wheel, rotors, brake calibers, brakelines, new steering head bearings. You need the digital gauge cluster if you want a speedometer, with that you will need the complete wiring harness, rear brake caliber hanger. Front fairing stay, rear subframe, new type oil and coolant resivoirs, fuel tank and all the fairings. There is more parts that I am not thinking of right now. It all bolts right on but there are alot of parts needed.

chrisiball
04-29-2003, 11:33 AM
Why would you want to spend shed loads of money on doing this???? In my view the old shape RS looks about 300 times better than the new 1 and goes just as good stops just as good and handles just as good!!
The only thing i like better is the digi dash!

SoCal249
04-29-2003, 11:35 AM
I should have been more clear. I want to convert from the old style plastic to the new. Will the tank, and fairings bolt right up? Instrument cluster plugs match? If not no big woop, I'm happy keeping the the tac and speedo from the old style.

RegganiRS250
04-29-2003, 12:36 PM
The fairings and tank will fit. Tanks bolts on exactly the same, the fairings you will need the post 98 fairing stay / gauge mount. The old gauges will work you will have to do a custom mount to get it to fit the newer fairing stay. Its pretty easy to make, although I went the other way with the old style fairing and the digital gauges. The tail section will need the whole different subframe, which can lead to more trouble because you then have to move the coolant and oil resivoirs. Instrument cluster plugs are very different, digital gauges has one big plug the old style has several small ones.

If you just convert the front fairings you should only need the fairings and fairing stay and the tank will match either set fairings. The tail fairing is where lots of work is needed.

SoCal249
04-29-2003, 01:08 PM
You have been a big help, I wasn't sure about the difficulty in doing this swap. I agree with an earlier poster who views the old style as looking heaps better.

I am in need of a left side fairing, and for the same price I found a complete set of new style. I will keep trying to locate a good side panel then.

Know of any? The flat silver 97' edition.

Thanks