PDA

View Full Version : Damage Assessment

TedMeyer
04-30-2003, 01:40 PM
We had a very, very rainy Saturday during the first race weekend at NHIS, and I had a minor low-side in the wet turn 3. Damage was pretty minor at first blush and I was able to keep racing -- basically the right footpeg mounting bolt was bent.

But after the race I saw two problems:
1) the linkage between the foot-brake and the rear caliper is missing, from the ball-joint attachment on the brake-lever up to and including the "plunger" that activates the brake cylinder.
Is that repairable? Or should I just try to find a used caliper? The new ones seem to be about $100 from Yoyodyne, so I could hopefully find used one for less.

2) The swingarm has a nice dent where the footpeg got pushed back. Several of my friends with GP bikes had the same problem, but a few of them had a "patch" of sorts covering the dent. Any suggestions about whether that's needed and what to put there?

Thx,
Ted
CCS #242

Cannon Fodder MOO
05-01-2003, 03:17 AM
exdukenut had someone "pull" a dent from a mille swingarm. The bloke drilled a small hole and I assume he used a slide hammer. Apparently the dent pull took two hours.

rooster
05-01-2003, 12:41 PM
Yeah, Saturday was pretty ugly - I had a similar low-side in 10, and snapped the bolt holding the right peg.

If I understand your explanation, you mean the rear master cylinder, not the caliper (which is on the wheel). There isn't really any linkage that connects the two, just a brake pump rod that is fixed to the heim joint on the lever, and the rubber boot that covers the plunger. All of these parts are replaceable, I can send you the parts list and diagram if you need it. (Although if you really lost the plunger you may need to replace the cylinder.)

Can't help you with the dent, but if you find out about an effective patch let me know, I've got a few of my own to fill.

TedMeyer
05-01-2003, 01:41 PM
You're right, the caliper was unaffected. The ball-joint and linkage from the brake pedal to the rear master cylinder are what's missing.

Is that part diagram in the manual? I haven't seen anything with that level of detail in there, but I haven't had a chance to look thoroughly. I was gonna take the thing off this weekend to have a closer look. Any idea whether SeaCoast Cycles would have the part? They saved my ass when the came up with the o-ring for the water-pump cover at the track.

Ted
CCS #242

rooster
05-02-2003, 12:23 PM
You've got mail.

The part diagram is not in the manual, but I have them... now you have the one you need too.

I use Seacoast for all my spare parts, they are fast, friendly, fellow racers, and will bring a bunch of stuff to the track 'just-in-case.'

Let me know if you need anything else.