PDA

View Full Version : Track Day Tyres

SimonT383
05-16-2016, 04:04 PM
I need a new set of track day tyres and was considering some slicks but never used them before.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Last Week
05-17-2016, 10:58 PM
Personally, Pirelli all the way. Get with James Bock with Podium Motorsports. I run the SC race DOTs, and race slicks depending on race class. Plenty of feedback, and nice flex expansion on the contact patch.

*Edit. Saw you're in the UK. Get with your local track tire supplier to support the track/race community.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Triple J
05-20-2016, 04:01 PM
I'd say whatever you can get the best deal on, or the supplier/track support guy you like the best. I've raced both Pirellis and Dunlop and like them both. I like Dunlops a bit more, but it's pretty minor. No FHE on Bridgestone and Michelin (other than a single trackday, on some one else bike, around 6 years ago).

speedkelly
05-20-2016, 04:38 PM
Not sure if these are cheap for you in Olde Blighty. But Bridgestone RS10 is cheap here in the USA. Really nice track day tire, no need for warmers, can still be ridden on the street. Although just be aware you give up a lot in longevity for grip, and they are very grippy. If you are not a fast track day rider, pretty much any of the newer sports tire from all brands can handle the occasional track day. If you are asking about slicks. I would imagine you are a fast track rider and probably know that already? Pirelli Superbike Pro slicks are a good choice if you have not ridden on slicks before. Have fun, lets us know how you get on. Always good to read real life reviews.

drvacation
05-20-2016, 06:22 PM
If your going to go slicks, get warmers as any track tire even the dot legal ones are ice skates cold compared to warm, seen to many cold tire crash's, it's also great to be able to rip right at the start and not have to worry if there hot enough, that said how fast are you? how's your budget? a set of Q 3's are fine for up to mid fast pack, but slicks are great and you'll feel the difference over street tires(Q3's SP's) if your mid to upper B group, also gives you more safety margin as you work your speed up, but you have to be at least showing some good scrubbing on the sides of the street tires or you may not be fast enough to get slicks up to temp. I love the sc 2's, but sp's are a great track tire if you don't want to go warmers, rs 10 also good, but I'd say needs warmer. But on a cold day/track warmers are almost a must on any tire and if it's 100f plus they are hardly needed with any tire as a warm up lap will do

SimonT383
05-21-2016, 04:50 AM
Cheers guys - I did my first track day about 4 years ago but this is the first year I have taken it seriously.

I usually run at the top of intermediates or the lowish of the fast group and have started using tyre (tire :)) warmers year. Up until now I have used Pirelli SC and now need a new set. As the bike wont be used on the road I thought I might as well try some slicks.

drvacation
05-21-2016, 12:17 PM
if you like the sc's stick with Pirelli, the sc1 or 2 slicks cost a little less and last longer, turn in not quite as quick, you might even try there red stripes a little harder than sc 2's