PDA

View Full Version : Frame sliders?

WERA 365
05-16-2003, 01:40 PM
Anybody got any great ideas on how/where to install frame sliders on an Aprilia Cup bike? I bought some trick new Vortex frame sliders that have the base separate from the slider part itself, but I just can't find a place to mount them. I have considered drilling a hole in the frame and using one of the Riv-nut kits from L.P. but I am not sure if it is strong enough and I am concerned that I will do more damage to the frame than I am saving, if it bends the frame where I mount them. I guess I would really like to hear from some folks that have not only mounted them, but have crashed with them.

Thanks,
Scott

beanarillo
05-16-2003, 05:06 PM
I'm having some made at the moment. The bracket will fix to the top of the engine cradle frame on each side, using both bolts, which will be replaced with longer ones.

The slider will be approx 4cm down the tube from the bottom bolt if that makes sense. Judging by the crash damage on my bike, which has been down the track alot, that is the prime position for the sliders. I reckon that mounting will be plenty strong enough too.

When i've got them fitted, i'll post some pics. I won't go as far as testing them for you, intentionally anyway!!

Beanarillo

conway
05-16-2003, 07:28 PM
I would very much like to see the sliders installed. Please post the pic. I crashed in turn two at Loudon yesterday. No major damage after the low side. But sliders would sure be helpful in the future???

TedMeyer
05-19-2003, 08:10 AM
Which race did you crash? Did you hit the wall/airfence? Sounds like you're okay, which is good.

I was racing (slowly) this weekend in the amateur classes. Sunday wasn't so great -- my tires started to fade a bit with about 5 laps left in the AM GTL race (including a scary front-end push in two) and my right hand went totally numb a lap later. Talk about crazy, I had very little feel for what my front brakes or throttle were doing, which is not a fun thing -- especially when you're starting to doubt your rubber. Switching from one-finger to two-finger braking helped.

Ted
#242 (AM)

PS: The Metzler Rennsports worked very nicely, but I visited the Dunlop man after the race and will be giving the 120/60 and 155/?? slicks a try. LW Supersport was too crazy, anyway.

WERA 365
05-19-2003, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the info.
I'd love to see the pics. I won't ask you to test it :eek:

Scott