PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here still following Benelli?

Micah / AF1 Racing
03-04-2016, 08:45 AM
Anyone here still actively following Benelli? I saw this recently http://benelli.ssrmotorsports.com which is new USA importer. I spent a while perusing the site, mixed emotions. I really like the TNT300, good to see the low price and the small bike in general. New riders are flocking to small cc machines like the CBR250/300 Ninja 300, R3, Rebel 250cc...Duke 390 and RC390. It seems to me the importer at least has an interesting bike selection for attracting newer riders, and the 600cc machine is only $6999 for a four cylinder? I know this is Chinese made stuff but so is much of motorcycling in reality...thoughts? Good or bad?

ScottG
03-04-2016, 09:10 AM
BAD, here's an Italian (formerly) bike made by Chinese slave workers. Quality control is likely non-existant. Think giant Chinese scooter. Run away, run away now!!!

JAndrewG
03-04-2016, 12:33 PM
Mixed thoughts, though I guess most of mine are. :)

Benelli was never a 'premier' Italian marque after all, at least not in my lifetime. Surely a good racing name in the '50s, but my memories of them were from the Sears Roebuck catalogue as a little boy.

Chinese. Jeez I spend a lot of time bitching about the cheap Chinese made stuff we get sent our way. But, like the Japanese, they know how to create and build beautifully detailed and long lived things too.

SSR, the site in the link, seem to be importers of inexpensive off road vehicles, with either two or four wheels. Inexpensive being the primary sales point.

So I don't know. I like seeing an old name like Benelli come back, but would much rather it be designed and build in a small factory by people with a passion for it. I'd also love to see the Laverda name come back...

John

Micah / AF1 Racing
03-04-2016, 03:47 PM
I find the newer stuff interesting though I know it is not Italian in a traditional sense at all. The 150cc scooter they are selling IS the old Aprilia SC200 which was also made in China, like much of the consumer goods worldwide now. I am trying my best to get mentally over an anti-Chinese bias when it comes to machines. The RC390/Duke390 KTM's are made in India, I am pretty sure that none of the Japanese 250-300cc starter bikes are actually manufactured in Japan since their labor costs are similar to ours. A Toyota Camry is more American than most American cars sold here now...globalization is real and its really here to stay. I guess part of my interest beyond the business side is in the resurgence of the small bore market in general, a decade ago you really only had one or three choices in the USA for small bore street bikes, now it seems a new golden age of small bore has arrived. The motorcycle industry here at least in the USA is truly struggling to attract new riders, between the insane speeds of newer sport machines and the insane insurance premiums the golden age of sportbikes as a dominant force in market here is dwindling. All the OEM's are struggling to sell big bore supersport stuff.

Riding motorcycles though is a timeless thing, a pursuit of unity between man/woman and machine, an oddity of disconnection in a connected world. If it takes Chinese motorcycles to get new riders or re-entry riders back on the road and enjoying themselves and their own disconnected from tech sort of way, I see the beauty in that. Just some random thoughts. I really wish Aprilia would at least get into small bores at only the level of sincerity shown by KTM but alas, I've been wanting this for a long time now and seen no progress.

JAndrewG
03-05-2016, 01:39 PM
I get what you're saying Micah, truly. Small bikes were what instilled in me a passion that it seems, no matter how many years pass or crashes lived through, will always be there.

I actually started on a screaming fast '60s 'sprinter' go kart. A guy had traded it in to the local mom and pop Honda dealer. It had twin West Bends, was about an inch and a half off the ground, skinny slicks, and scrub brakes. Dad 'killed' one motor when he realized how fast it was, but I still had guys come around to race me in hot-rodded VWs and the like who said they had to get over 65 mph to pass me. I was 10 years old.

But I wanted to ride all the woods we had around us, so I got a mini bike with a Briggs and one of those stupid centrifugal clutches. Then another, then... an almost brand new Honda CL100. I destroyed that poor little bike.

Riding a small bike every day after school was great. I rode it till I thought I was getting every tiny bit of power and speed out of it. Then cornering became the place to get faster. Then, finally, a bigger bike. It was like that till I'd worked through my CL100, a Yamaha 125, than a 175, a 250, a 465, and finally a couple of 490s.

Starting young, and on a fun unintimidating small bike, gave me self confidence and are some of best childhood memories.

When I was a kid, bikes got me outside and away from the TV. Now it's a Smartphone or tablet or PC, but it's basically the same thing. Get a kid interested in something outside, where he or she will get cold, warm, dirty, wet. And maybe learn there are a bunch of really fun things to do besides watch TV. Or the videos on the internet.

John

sburns2421
05-19-2016, 08:13 AM
While I don't care for the new Chinese-made bikes at all, the big triples are very interesting even though they are exceedingly rare in the US. Would love to have a Tornado, I know opinions vary on their quality and performance.

In the UK, they cannot give them away, there might still be new ones sitting in dealers with huge discounts and a decade old.

Micah / AF1 Racing
07-02-2016, 11:09 PM
So we now have the new USA model Benelli bikes in stock...I think the TNT300 is my favorite so far, really hard to put my finger on exactly why but I've been playing with the green demo bike...gotta say it quite good around town, not quite as quick as the Ninja300 we have right now used but, not bad at all...hmmm...more impressions to come.

Hellgate
07-04-2016, 06:38 PM
So we now have the new USA model Benelli bikes in stock...I think the TNT300 is my favorite so far, really hard to put my finger on exactly why but I've been playing with the green demo bike...gotta say it quite good around town, not quite as quick as the Ninja300 we have right now used but, not bad at all...hmmm...more impressions to come.

Is AF1 a Benelli dealer now?

Stu_O
07-05-2016, 08:40 AM
Is AF1 a Benelli dealer now?

What in the world gave you that impression? :rolleyes:

Hellgate
07-05-2016, 08:50 AM
What in the world gave you that impression? :rolleyes:
Reading. It's amazing what I learn from reading. ;)

Stu_O
07-05-2016, 11:10 AM
Reading. It's amazing what I learn from reading. ;)

Tongue-in-cheek sarcasm, my friend. Note the rolling eyeballs.

Hellgate
07-05-2016, 11:16 AM
Tongue-in-cheek sarcasm, my friend. Note the rolling eyeballs.
Oh I know. :)

Ed / AF1 Racing
07-05-2016, 12:15 PM
Yes we are a Benelli dealer....come ride them

They fill in an entry level need we had on the showroom. We can get someone on a TNT 300 for about $2000 less OTD than a Ninja 300 from the big place up the street.

WadeS02
07-05-2016, 03:02 PM
$2000 less?

So for around the price of a Grom you can get a decent entry level street bike. That's a good deal.

laker213
07-05-2016, 04:17 PM
They're pretty sharp looking up close

Ed / AF1 Racing
07-05-2016, 04:40 PM
$2000 less?

So for around the price of a Grom you can get a decent entry level street bike. That's a good deal.

well, by the time the local big box store charges $1200+ freight and prep and other BS fees, we're $2000 cheaper. We can have you OTD for less than $5000 for a brand new 300, under $8000 OTD for a new I4-600cc

NUMBER41
07-05-2016, 04:58 PM
Bring back the tornado tre! (but fix all of the issues it had first)

http://raresportbikesforsale.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Tre-right.jpg

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2002/04/041102tornado.jpg

Banned
07-05-2016, 06:54 PM
I always liked the look of the Tornado.
They make a Tuono style one that I'd like to see in person.

NUMBER41
07-05-2016, 07:24 PM
They did. It was based on the Tornado. Same triple engine if I remember, and I'm pretty sure it was called the TNT or something similar. Always thought they were good looking bikes too, but have never seen one in person. Not enough of them sold here for that. I was just getting into road/sportsbikes when the Tornado & TNT were coming out (1999-ish) and I remember thinking that they looked better than the Ducati's at the time. However, my feeble memory says that they had some pretty awful fuel injection/carburetion issues that plagued the first year or two. I'm not sure they ever worked the kinks out of either bike, TBH. Still wouldn't stop me owning one now though, if I had the extra dosh laying around. I know I've never seen either bike on the street, and I doubt many others here have either.

http://park.shifting-gears.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/2015-dsk-benelli-tnt-899.jpghttp://www.motoplanete.com/benelli/galerie/TNT-R-160//14.JPGhttps://i.ytimg.com/vi/GU0_MNWmCO0/maxresdefault.jpghttp://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2008models/2008-Benelli-TNT1130SportEvof.jpg

I always liked the look of the Tornado.
They make a Tuono style one that I'd like to see in person.

Hellgate
07-05-2016, 08:31 PM
Yes we are a Benelli dealer....come ride them

They fill in an entry level need we had on the showroom. We can get someone on a TNT 300 for about $2000 less OTD than a Ninja 300 from the big place up the street.
Wow! That's an amazing deal.

Banned
07-05-2016, 08:33 PM
A neighbor had the TRE SE that he never rode in his garage. I tried to buy it from him but he wouldn't sell it. They look better in person than they do in pictures. I did see a TNT on CL not long ago.

Hellgate
07-05-2016, 08:34 PM
Bring back the tornado tre! (but fix all of the issues it had first)

http://raresportbikesforsale.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Tre-right.jpg

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2002/04/041102tornado.jpg
The first time I met Micah years ago he had a tre on the dyno. I thought it looked cool, he was grumbling about it. That and a loud ass Harley with open pipes.

sburns2421
07-05-2016, 09:09 PM
Look often to try to find a Tornado. I have a bucket list of bikes and it is by far the most difficult to track down. Can't find any in the US at the moment. Maybe AF1 will get one in trade now that they are a dealer.

BTW they used Sagem fuel injection, same as the Triumph Daytona (955cc Daytonas) and the TT600, and the even the Aprilia Futura IIRC. Tuneboy is an aftermarket injection tuning software that can supposedly alleviate most of the quirks from all of the bikes like a Power Commander.

SPEEDxNASTY
07-25-2016, 06:32 PM
Benelli in trouble again?
https://translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.gpone.com/it/2016072529306/news-prodotto/benelli-che-cosa-sta-succedendo.html

Roebling3
07-25-2016, 08:57 PM
Anyone with motorcycle dealer experience will be less emotional than many other riders, myself included. Thank you Micah and Ed.
I fell hard for Moto Guzzi's many years ago after far too many years with bmw MC's. To me the passion Guzzi people have for their mc's, friends that own them and most anything connected with Italy are reasons to celebrate. It all tends to put a smile on my face, thank you.

I like the late model Benelli triples, - -perhaps most for their looks and the break from RED. The silver and green is almost gaudy, but broadly daring, in my view. IOW, I like it. The tubular frame members look to be a derivative of the Griso. If Benelli can make a comeback can Gilera? Just kidding, but I have a CX.

BTW: Speaking of 300cc mc's. They're not just for beginners and those of smaller stature. They ought to peddle those bikes to the masses now driving 3 wheelers of some sort. It's an easier transition w/out giving up what I think motorcycling is all about. A lighter, more compact bike is so much easier and safer to manage. The old bromide of riding small bikes fast will always be true.

Don't run your tires square! Good fortune, R3~

sburns2421
08-20-2016, 07:35 PM
Anyone with motorcycle dealer experience will be less emotional than many other riders, myself included. Thank you Micah and Ed.
I fell hard for Moto Guzzi's many years ago after far too many years with bmw MC's. To me the passion Guzzi people have for their mc's, friends that own them and most anything connected with Italy are reasons to celebrate. It all tends to put a smile on my face, thank you.

I like the late model Benelli triples, - -perhaps most for their looks and the break from RED. The silver and green is almost gaudy, but broadly daring, in my view. IOW, I like it. The tubular frame members look to be a derivative of the Griso. If Benelli can make a comeback can Gilera? Just kidding, but I have a CX.

BTW: Speaking of 300cc mc's. They're not just for beginners and those of smaller stature. They ought to peddle those bikes to the masses now driving 3 wheelers of some sort. It's an easier transition w/out giving up what I think motorcycling is all about. A lighter, more compact bike is so much easier and safer to manage. The old bromide of riding small bikes fast will always be true.

Don't run your tires square! Good fortune, R3~FYI the Benelli Tornado Tre predates the Griso by at least 6-7 years. frame was first shown in '99 IIRC and the bikes were in customer hands by '02. With that said, they are actually similar in construction to bikes MZ made in the mid 90's before going belly up (again) around 2004.

sburns2421
08-25-2016, 04:18 PM
I did find one for sale right now. Low mileage, but not green/silver or red and about twice what I had hoped to pay.
http://wowmotorcycles.com/view-bike.aspx?SKU=100026&source=S

NUMBER41
08-25-2016, 05:47 PM
Too rich for my blood.

Banned
08-25-2016, 08:58 PM
That is too much. I saw a green/silver a year ago that was very low mileage and iirc he wanted 8k for it.

Thunder2
08-25-2016, 10:22 PM
Bring back the SEI.

Banned
09-08-2016, 08:58 PM
Just saw there is a 2008 Trek for sale on CL in L.A.

Birky_D
09-10-2016, 11:22 AM
Just got on this forum, Aprilia owner again having just sold my MV but before that I had a Benelli Tornado Tre

Amazing character...but I can honestly say a very delicate bike to say the least. I have some funny pictures of me at the IOM with an elastic band being used to return my gear lever and mastic glue holding the oil from blowing out over the plug caps

I also had all the Z25 issues, dash resets, stalling, warped disc etc

MightyMouse
05-04-2018, 06:27 AM
I still have my Benelli TNT Cafe Racer. She's pretty to look at and so fun to ride, when she runs. That's the main issue. I had to put an afr on it to keep fueling in check, as no tune delievered by dealers or the factory did well. I was consuming at at rate of 27mpg US and always smelled like exhaust. Removed the air flaps, exhaust flange and cat. Swapped with a proper injector and redid all of my wiring to the starter and ground points. Now I am suffering a fuel leak of some sort and can't get the bike to start again. Before it would just drain the battery constantly.
It's always something. The goal i have is to put a triumph engine in it or find a way to make the original benelli engine work.

Stretch
10-23-2018, 03:33 AM
The R160 engine is great. It is the fuel injection system that is somewhat crude. I just (as if the word "just" makes everything easier) need to fiddle with the air intake temp sensor so it does not misbehave in hot weather.