PDA

View Full Version : 24hr Endurance rs50 build!

Kylipso
01-03-2016, 08:38 PM
I just picked up a mighty fine 2005 rs50 from the original owner.
According to him it's never been dropped but he dropped his friends bike and swapped over some parts.
Looks like the left rearset, turn signal, and clutch lever need replacing.
There is minor rash on the left fairings but nothing crazy.
What is crazy is the fact this bike has 900 miles.

Since the bike hasn't been run in at least 8 years according to the owner I'm replacing all the fluids and giving it a good once over.

Once this sucker is running I'm going to turn my attention to the engine. Namely finding a new one that is more competitive in the class we plan on running.

The class is unlimited mods but limited to 65cc two strokes or up to 125cc four strokes. I'm keeping an eye out for a KTM 65sx or potentially an xr100 with a big bore.

ToraTora
01-03-2016, 11:20 PM
It's your bike, but it would be morally apprehensible to take something so clean, and do as you intend. There are lots of bikes out there that have already been set up for the track, or better donors so to speak. You could probably already find one with a 80/85 engine in the bike. Look on this foro for a cat named Garret. He might even have a bike to sell you. I'm sure you could sell that bike for enough to get you very close to a ready to go conversion.

SpeedyCorky
01-03-2016, 11:21 PM
OMFG sell that thing , and go buy a properly setup RS for the track. that bike is WAY WAY too pretty to be tracked. for fuck sakes man...

SpeedyCorky
01-03-2016, 11:25 PM
heck i'd trade you my 1991 RS80, fully track prepped and upgraded, for that RS50 of yours...
granted my RS80 is not the prettiest thing in the world, but it runs solid as hell, has a few really nice upgrades, and will ALWAYS be faster than that RS you got there
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/5386627449.html

ToraTora
01-03-2016, 11:31 PM
Yeah here you go check out this Craig's ad with a bike that's already to go to the track (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/5365397649.html). It even comes with track tires.

2000 Aprilia RS50 with 70cc kit, full arrow exhaust, upgraded reed valve, ducati cdi, mikuni flat slide carb with pod airfilter, new Pirelli slick tires. And the bike is in your area too. ;)

Street legal, registered and plated
4400 miles original owner
Fires right up needs nothing
70+ mph

Many upgrades I didn't get around to installing!
Racetech fork springs, bigger rear sprocket, new chain, starter delete plug, various jetting to remove oil injection system, mychron 4 2T

Clint Eastwood
01-03-2016, 11:56 PM
https://warosu.org/data/ck/img/0055/71/1404434846356.gif
:banana: Buy my rear wheel too! comes with free chain oil caked on it ;)

Its just metal & rubber...& i don't even get paid Treatland.Tv commission :lol:

Kylipso
01-04-2016, 12:19 AM
Let me get it running and we'll see how I feel then haha. I've had enough ratty track bikes to know what comes with them, sometimes it's nice to start fresh. I saw the bike in LA but it's a far cry for the price being asked.

Kylipso
01-04-2016, 01:22 AM
I tore into it a bit to start my bits list:

Clean!

The oil injection line is dry, cracked, and weeping.

Needs a nice carb clean.
Battery is beyond gone.
Needs a left turn signal to be road worthy again.
Leary of the tires given the age (although they don't show any cracking or flat spots).

The rearset is probably the most unsafe thing I've seen on a bike for a while

All in all not too bad for sitting on someones porch for almost 10 years, we'll see what else we find later this week.

ToraTora
01-04-2016, 03:16 AM
Kylipso--we can't see your photos.

The thing is if you are going to keep it street the things you would do vs make it a track bike are nearly 100% in opposition. You wouldn't even bother with a battery for the track. Nor would you bother with the injector, as that would most certainly be removed. Tires too would be very different choices. The carb--well the stock unit is garbage, but the choice made for street would most likely not be the same for track. For sure though you should source a different carb--there are lots and lots and lots of posts on here about carbs.

As per the bike in LA: the Micron 4 2T is something like $500 without sensors. The track tires are probably over $150 each. The bike itself is probably easily worth $800 considering all the other race bits the guy is including with the bike--that stuff adds up fast. If you are going to be going to the track you'd be very happy to have the Micron 4 2T because it will give you both engine head temp/water temp, and EGT (you really want this for tuning), plus all the tasty bits you'd want for lap times. The tires, well, on the track you have to have slicks, the advantage is so huge that to not have them would pretty much mean that you wont be competitive.

Anyway, I was simply pointing that out as an alternative that is both a better choice for a track bike, and a way to not kill a cherry street bike. Track bikes get crashed. Anything you take to the track you have to take with the expectation that it's going to go down, and probably go down a lot. Street bikes (when ridden properly) hardly ever go down, and can stay in nice shape. So when you consider the options available taking that near perfect bike to the track would just be wrong on so many levels.

With regards to setting it up for street:

The carb really isn't worth cleaning. :P

If the injection line is bad, the feed line to the oil pump is probably bad too. But if you are going track you would just remove all of that stuff.

The stock tires will be garbage. After ten years they need to be replaced even if they have zero miles on them--they are not safe to ride. The Sava MC18 (https://www.treatland.tv/SearchResults.asp?Search=mc18) would be a great choice--if you want a street tire. I'm running these on my older Derbi which has wheels the same size as the RS, and I have found them to be very nice. The MC50 is also a greta tire, but it is sized for the wider rims of the newer bikes. If you want to get affordable tires for the track the Sava slicks are quite nice--they are also available from Treats. We've been running these on the track since last season, and they perform quite well--at half the price of the GP tires we use to use. The Savas, both the MC, and the slicks, were designed for our bikes.

https://www.treatland.tv/v/vspfiles/photos/sava-MC18-17x90-fslash-80-tire-1.jpg https://www.treatland.tv/v/vspfiles/photos/sava-MC18-17x110-fslash-80-tire-1.jpg https://www.treatland.tv/v/vspfiles/photos/sava-F001-17x95-fslash-70-tire-1.jpg https://www.treatland.tv/v/vspfiles/photos/sava-R001-17x115-fslash-70-tire-1.jpg

Also, for a bit of Bay Area track info check out the thread I have going (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?310478-Derbi-GPR-Track-Bike). It's Derbi centric, but there's plenty of other fun stuff in there too. ;)

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj605/dimethylether/bikes/track%20bike/IMG_1639_zpset10nvcm.jpg

Ian--Treats doesn't pay me anything. I post about them because they are pretty much the only company in the States that actually stocks stuff for our bikes--you probably wouldn't even understand what that's like where you are from. Not only that their prices are so good that folks from Europe (who have plenty of choices) order from Treats. Now I've never had them ship me anything, because I just go over there, but they are well known for having awesome shipping.

That bike in LA doesn't belong to me. I simply posted it as an alternative to chopping up a really clean RS. Our market in the States is very different than what you experience in the UK. Again, probably something to which you would have a really hard time with relating, as indicated by your post. But you want to show your track bike stuff, and compare it to what Speedy, and I have done with the track it would be nice to see it.

stevieboy22
01-04-2016, 07:23 AM
The Forum sponsor takes pretty good care of folks with Rs50/70's as well as Rs125's. At least they did and continue to do an excellent job for me.

freedomgli
01-04-2016, 09:03 AM
I won't try to convince you not to hack up a 900 mile RS50. But I will tell you that the thought of an XR100 swapped RS50 makes me weep. Two-strokes forever! But hey, if you want to lose on a 4-stroke, go right on ahead. I get you're limited to by class rules but I'd sooner build the most reliable AM6 I could. 46mm piston with stock stroke of 39mm gives you a displacement of 64.8cc. Unfortunately, there are no off-the-shelf 46mm cylinder kits for the AM6. And there are no combination of readily accessible aftermarket cranks/pistons that will get you 65cc. So maximizing displacement might be a real chore with lots of money, custom machining, etc. which hurts the wallet and reliability for a 24 hour machine.

Even though you'd be giving up some displacement, I'd look into a 50cc AM6 with a racing cylinder kit and crankshaft meant to take the abuse. Then I'd do a rotary disc valve induction with appropriate carburetor, programmable race ignition and a race expansion chamber with powervalve. That should get you around 18hp if you do it right.

If you must do a swap to maximize displacement I think a Kawasaki KX65 would be a better choice than the KTM based on cost and parts availability. Do all the same mods as above and you'd have a fast motor.

Kylipso
01-04-2016, 10:06 AM
I appreciate all the voices of reason to keep it street worthy, but honestly it's going to get thrashed in someones hand eventually.
When I sold my old 98 rs50 I got a call about a week later about getting a new front wheel since his son hit a wall head on.

As to why I'm getting it running on the street, it would take me a while to find all the bits and bobs to put it together so I might as well enjoy it on the street.
Also I should point out that this is all for fun, being competitive comes second to hanging out with friends and turning laps.

And yeah the market for these bikes over here is terrible, treats is the only place you can find anything performance wise and AF1 takes care of all my OEM needs (and some other stuff).

mattology
01-04-2016, 11:32 AM
I would not waste my time with the am6. making it competitive costs more than a 65/85/125 swap, mostly due to the gearbox issues

freedomgli
01-04-2016, 11:44 AM
But missed shifts are exciting! I want to try to the Top Performance Ergal shift drum next time I crack open cases. It only costs $85 and supposedly makes a big difference.

ToraTora
01-04-2016, 02:10 PM
Wow that bike is so clean! It looks like he upgraded the ignition. The red box in there I believe to be a Top Performance upgrade. Also, he installed the NGK plug wire. There might even be more goodies to be found. From the photos I can't tell if he's upgraded the carb.

There are a lot of nice aftermarket rear sets available for the RS, but you can probably find a used one to work. For sure you want to replace that glommed together mess that's currently there as it's unsafe.

The Mini Moto rules we have in the States are mostly based around Japanese bikes. That's why the 65cc thing. Not that I'm suggesting it, but you could source a 46mm crank for the AM6, and then run a 40mm race cylinder with a spacer to line things up. Seriously though--don't try this!

There are some Bay Area guys that ran an RS50 in that competition. They put every race part you could get on an RS50 on their bike. They got their tails beat by a young girl on a motard. They then sold off their RS50 race bike for a pittance, with the belief that they had to have a Derbi Senda to be competitive. They are supposedly now building that bike. What they should really do is spend all that money on gas used at the track! Generally the folks that do well in that race run a modified NSR50. Mostly because the specs for the class favor that bike.

freedomgli--The Top Performance parts for the AM6 are very nice. If I were to run an AM6 I'd probably install all that stuff--but then that's one of the many reasons I prefer the Derbi engine. :lol:

Kylipso--you could very easily make this a great bike to ride around in the Canyons where you live. Top end, carb, pipe, a few other things, plus decent tires, and you'd be making some big bike riders cry. Also, set it up and come ride with us up here in the Bay Area. It could be lots of fun. :)

stevieboy22--indeed AF1 is great, but they really don't stock all that much other than some basic OEM stuff for the RS50. If you need Derbi bits you can't go there, and if you want aftermarket stuff, well Treats just currently provides huge support with stuff in stock ready to ship. Some of the Euro shops have been getting competitive though. Easy Parts, and I think Maxiscoot get things to us very quickly. If AF1 did start to carry more bits for these bikes that would be a boon for us living Stateside, but it wouldn't make much business sense for them.

Currently one of our biggest issues--and why I've been rather vocal in this thread--is that we no longer have a supply of bikes. It all pretty much ended over ten years ago when Piaggio (http://www.piaggiousa.com) decided it wasn't worth marketing these bikes over here anymore. But it gets worse. Even in Europe Piaggio has all but killed Derbi. They shut down the factory, and now Derbi (http://www.derbi.com) has a small line of Sendas and one scooter. Piaggio still lets Aprilia make the RS4 (http://www.aprilia.com/en/en/index/models/bikes/road/RS4-50-Replica.html), but even that bike has regressed from what was available in 2009 from both Aprilia, and Derbi. It's not a pretty sight. :eek:

mattology
01-05-2016, 12:13 AM
dude you crazy if you think the RS4 isn't awesome. it's a freaking baby rsv4. i would love to put all those plastics and everything on my bikes.

ToraTora
01-05-2016, 01:15 AM
I didn't say that--I said that is was a regression from what they had in 2009. You've admitted as much previously so I don't really get why you are saying otherwise now. The 2009 bike had some really cool features that they changed with the 2010/11 bikes. And ah plastic? That doesn't make the bike. If it did we'd all be riding Hondas. :lol:

re·gres·sion
rəˈɡreSH(ə)n/
noun
a return to a former or less developed state.

They returned to the frame from the 90s
They went back to a steal swing arm
They returned to an axial master
They went to an all in one rear master (less like the RSV4 than the 2009 bike)
They went back to side exhaust, rather than the under the tail GP style

I could continue, but ah, that supports my position firmly enough, yes a regression. ;)

Now if you were to compare it to the 2005 and older RS sure lots of improvements--pretty much all of which showed up with the 2006-2009 bike. Better wheels. Better forks. Better front caliper. Better tires. Better engine. So yes big improvement over the early RS, regression when compared to the bike they sold in 2009.

Dcrac3r
01-05-2016, 01:49 AM
Well to be fair the rs4 doesn't use exactly the same frame. There are key differences to be able to use that swing arm and fit the plastics and motor cradle. Also the rs4 125 has an under cradle exhaust not side exit. The rs4 50 has side exit.

But im stoked to see another race build! People get all bent when some one takes a rs50 off the streets. Hello that's probably the best thing you could do to these bikes! Look at the bikes here in Europe, they are trashed by kid riding every where in all weather.

so what's the first step? Motor or chassis?

Kylipso
01-05-2016, 02:09 AM
Going to focus on the suspension while I look for a nice engine donor bike. There is a little Kx65 down the street that has my eye...
Ordered some bits from AF1 to get the bike rolling while I look. Pretty sure I'll be able to fire her up in a week or so.

I've been searching threads on a rear shock but most lead to dead links or a bitubo so the search continues. Our team of fatties will murder the stock suspension.

ToraTora
01-05-2016, 06:49 AM
D--a few minor changes doesn't change the fact that it's the old style frame. If it wasn't the case you wouldn't have been able to make some minor mods to your frame to get the new parts to fit so easily. ;) The Benelli frame used in the 2006-2009 bikes were much better modern frames, but even if you don't agree the definition states former as well, and thus it is still a regression.

With regards to building a track/race bike. Dude I have a whole thread on turning a bike into a track bike (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?310478-Derbi-GPR-Track-Bike). The issue people have is taking a Unicorn, and putting it in harms way, when there are plenty of other options. And in this case there are lots and lots of options. If it was 2004 and you could go out and order an RS50 that would be totally different, but it's 2016 and you can't even get a new 50cc replica bike in the States without pulling some shenanigans. I'm not saying to keep the bike totally stock, just not to trash it by making it a track bike. And again, especially since there are so many better options.

K--finding suspension upgrades is difficult, and usually expensive. Even when there were "lots" of these bikes out there the supply was pretty tiny. Contact Benji at Treats he may be able to find you a BiTubo--he is strong with the Force. Malossi might still offer their 24 shock, and Doppler probably also made a shock for the bike. Again, I'd send a post to Benji to see what he can find for you--but do your research first, and send him part numbers.

On my 2005 GPR I did a lot of measuring, searching, moding, and was able to fit a shock from a mini MX bike (yes it is a real Ohlins). It was a lot of effort, but totally worth it. On my track bike I have a Rise Racing custom shock (http://www.risseracing.com/coilshocks.shtml). You can get them to build you a shock for your bike. There are other custom shocks you can have made, or mod something from another bike. There are options as long as you are willing to spend money, and put in the time and effort to find something. Usually in the $500 to $1,000 range, maybe a bit more, and it wouldn't be hard to spend a lot more--good suspension doesn't usually come cheap.

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj605/dimethylether/bikes/DRP/IMG_2108_zpsd7blqcgl.jpg

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj605/dimethylether/bikes/gpr-2000/file_zps13fdad75.jpg

I know Ian was kind of being a dick with his troll post, but you do realize that Speedy actually offered to trade you a REAL race bike, right? The Honda RS125 was actually raced in the MotoGP 125 class. The Aprilia RS50, no matter what you do to it, isn't going to offer you the same kind of performance that you'd get from a real race bike. Speedy's bike already has a CR80 engine in it, but if you wanted to install a 65cc engine into it you probably wouldn't have to do much work. Probably less than what you would do to the Aprilia. The Honda already has adjustable suspension, race proven geometry, race wheels that you'll be lusting after when riding the Aprilia, much better brakes, and a host of other reasons why it's a thousand times the race bike an RS50 could ever be--and this is coming from someone that doesn't particularly like the Honda corporation. Yeah the plastics on Speedy's bike are ratty, but you can find decent plastics for a Honda RS125 for under a few $100 if you look around, maybe even for $100 these days. Anyway, this is just one real option you have that is much better if what you really want is a track bike.

freedomgli
01-05-2016, 08:02 AM
dude you crazy if you think the RS4 isn't awesome. it's a freaking baby rsv4. i would love to put all those plastics and everything on my bikes.

:facepalm: You're crazy. The RS4 is so ugly compared to the '99-'05 RS50. To my eyes, the Mk2 RS50/125/250 and the original RSV Mille (especially '01-'02) are the best looking Aprilia street bikes ever made.

mattology
01-05-2016, 08:57 AM
hey I am using adjustable 3 way shocks on my race bikes check out my thread for more info

yeah I want an rsv4 and I already have enough mk2's so I guess the envy is why I love the rs4

ToraTora
01-10-2016, 06:06 AM
That bike I was talking about is for sale again (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/5392869992.html). It keeps popping up like a whack a mole--this time for $2K. Like I said pretty much everything you could do to it, and it still got its butt kicked by a little girl on a motard in the endurance race. ;) I don't really believe it was the bike's fault, but more the riders didn't know how to ride an endurance race. Their bright idea to switch to a motard is evidence that they didn't realize that the reason they lost was them, and not the bike. Still, this bike wouldn't stand a chance against that Honda above in this thread. :lol:

This Aprilia RS50 race bike is fully prepped and ready to race or take to track days

Bike is not street legal and can only be used off road! Vin not in DMV records

-Professionally built CN racing 50cc motor, all bearings and seals replaced, port matched, balanced, polished, etc. 9.5 hours currently on motor since rebuild.
-Metrakit racing transmission
-Top Performance roller bearing clutch basket with straight cut primary gears
-Top Performance Ergal shift drum
-PVL inner rotor full racing ignition system
-Top Performance 21mm intake
-Del Orto 21mm carb kit.
-Arrow race pipe with carbon fiber silencer
-Domino roller bearing throttle (Moto GP125)
-Mychron 3 data acquisition, lap timer
-Multi tech fiberglass race bodywork (best fitting!)
-Doppler race shock
-Powder coated frame and swingarm
-AF-1 top triple clamp
-Race craft clipons
-Galfer front steel braided brake line
-Aprilia RS 125 front brake master cylinder

I will include a box of spares and rear stand.

Open to trades or offers. Thanks.

mattology
01-10-2016, 07:53 AM
I kinda want that thing

freedomgli
01-10-2016, 10:44 AM
Me too.

ToraTora
01-10-2016, 01:44 PM
Why do you think I posted it to this list. ;)

Kylipso
01-10-2016, 04:21 PM
Clearly I live in the wrong part of the state haha. Also found another unicorn with 300ish miles :) https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/5391949318.html

Kylipso
01-10-2016, 06:59 PM
I drained the old two stroke oil and swapped in a fresh battery I found for $20 today.
I also threw on some uh questionable pazzo lever lookalikes which were also $20.
The levers are probably going in the spares bin since the brake lever doesn't actuate the brake as quickly as I'd like.

Waiting on my order from AF1 as I ponder making this my little road bike :)
I need to convince the wife that I need another bike, a kx65 mortard might do the trick for fast and cheap.

XERO
01-10-2016, 08:15 PM
I need to convince the wife that I need another bike

Think you are missing the obvious ...
You need to convince your Wife that you bought this for her.
"Guess what I bought you, and it's Italian ..."

Maxiscoot has a rear shock that is better than the Factory unit, but only better.
It's for sure no Penske or Ohlins but it does seem to have better overall valving and preload adjustment.

Price Point kicks ass !!!

Clint Eastwood
01-10-2016, 08:34 PM
:plus: i use the Conti CHR & ride over potholes/speed humps much faster with more comfort coz the stock motard shock was just too stiff & non adjustable. the preload adjuster tool it comes with is useless but the Conti's hard to beat compared to the £240 Malossi RS24

ToraTora
01-10-2016, 11:16 PM
My feeling is that yeah you can spend some money on a slightly better, but still crapy shock, or you can hunt around and get at least a decent shock.

Here's what I put on my 2005. I did a whole lot of research, and then a bunch of mods to make it work, and now I have something that would be a world class shock in the 90's. I didn't buy from this cat. The one I bought was a whole lot less money. Still it was a new shock, although I did have to order a stiffer spring for my fat ass. :eek:

eBay sale link, that I expect to expire soon (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ohlins-Rear-Shock-for-Cobra-CX65-new-unused-Preload-Compression-and-Rebound/281883341776?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D35006%26meid%3D4b0946c2646b48069c754963e76a 6080%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D3218 76904040).

Here's another shock on eBay that already sold. This one is slightly cooler than the one I have because the length is also adjustable. :) As you can see this one sold for a very reasonable price too.

eBay sale link, that I expect to expire soon (http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-07-COBRA-KING-REAR-OHLINS-SHOCK-ABSORBER-BACK-SUSPENSION-/181946363814?hash=item2a5cd92fa6%3Ag%3AtN8AAOSwbdp WW2zt&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=aZ%252BKGhIf5cQj054k3%252F62qM6AQig%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557).

Sadly due to the linkage and the upper shock mount these wouldn't work on the classic GPR frame. Will they work on the classic RS? I don't know, because I haven't done the research--I leave that for you cats. :lol: I'm just giving you a vector that worked really well for me.

UScrosser
02-15-2016, 11:36 AM
I just picked up a 2004 RS50 for my GF for valentines day. I know, major brownie points for me! Such a cool little bike. We are huge SBK and MotoGP fans and I love the moto3 look of the RS.

My challenge is making it fit her short legs and small hands. I have already ordered adjustable shorty levers (which I had to do for her mobbed out 70cc Zuma 50)
I need to lower the bike about an inch and raise the clip ons a bit.

Need advise for bar risers. Do they make risers that fit the factory triple clamp?
Need a shorter and or height adjustable shock. Suggestions?

ToraTora, I've had Ohlins before, cant go wrong. That would be my first choice.

Kylipso
04-04-2016, 12:41 AM
It's been a while since I've done anything with the bike but this weekend I got some new tires and a new chain.
The little RS ran like a champ... for about 2 miles. Pretty sure the piston slapped the head good and plenty.

I had to huff the sucker up 2 miles of hill and back into the garage.

Tear down and replacement bits to come!

mattology
04-04-2016, 03:51 AM
bummer dude

Kylipso
04-04-2016, 04:43 PM
Surprisingly I'm not too bummed about it since I was looking at different cylinders and heads. It also gives me a better reason to dive deeper into the engine.

Dcrac3r
04-04-2016, 06:12 PM
If you need I can send you a stock top end for the cost of shipping

Kylipso
04-13-2016, 10:56 PM
Got some time to take the cylinder and piston off the bike to see what's up!
There is a bunch of garbage in the water jacket, looks like the coolant was breaking down.
It kind of looks like someone took a hand full of sand and dumped it into the coolant.

Also looks like the bike was running pretty lean based on the plug.
The head looks like it's got ash on it? or some of the crap from the coolant or the carb was making it's way in there.

When I get a chance I want to pull the carb off and take a looksee.

ToraTora
04-15-2016, 03:34 AM
Kylipso it looks like you've got an excuse to select a sweet BBK for your bike. :)

The wash on this piston actually looks pretty good. Maybe even a bit rich really. So I suspect that the reason for the failure might have been a very recent change. Anyway I wouldn't bother putting it back to stock. A decent kit on these bikes makes a HUGE WORLD of difference. You'll enjoy it much more. :)

UScrosser, I suspect things wont go too well for you. Here's why. Unless you are riding a very similar bike this bike will not be a compatible bike. A lot of guys buy these bikes for their GFs and Wives trying to get them into the sport, and they ALL fail. Why? Because while these can be great learner bikes you have to have serious skills to ride them with 4T big bikes. Why? Because MOST people on a 4T big bike ride like ass. They park it in the corners, and use the engine to deal with nearly everything--rather than employ skill on the bike. These bikes pretty much force you to employ skill ALL THE TIME because they don't have engines to compensate for the lack of skill--but that's exactly why these are such awesome learner bikes. They force you to actually learn how to ride.

Now if you both have these bikes it can be a whole lot of fun. But if you don't you are doomed for failure. But that's not your only issue.

These bikes while small in displacement are not made for SMALL people. There is no padding on the seat to shave to lower the seat height, and if you attempt anything on the suspension you will make the bike unsafe to ride. She would be much better served with a different bike if she's really too small for this one. The Honda NSR50 has a low seat height, and it's a much loved stroker. ;)

So keep the RS for yourself, and get an NSR for your GF. That will at the very least give you a change at being successful with your plan. ;)

Here's a young lady ripping it on an NSR:

http://themotolady.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/christina-m1gp-grange.jpg

twinturba
04-15-2016, 07:15 AM
I'm honored that Dr. Derbi took the time to post about our bike for us!
It was so much fun building the 50cc Aprilia and then racing the 8 hour endurance race at Grange! (http://www.bayareatwostroke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3858&page=2) I was able to wrench and race with Carlos Neves (http://www.nevesracing.com) one of the great local two stroke racing champions and mechanics of the area and learn rear trail braking from Jon Schendel another two stroke champion who rode with us! (http://www.usgpru.net/profile.php?n=36). The bike was pretty much the ultimate stock top end Aprilia rs50 you could build and utilized a lot of my extensive parts bin leftovers from stockton mini GP racing over 10 years ago. It would probably not be possible and definitely not advisable to try and build a bike like that as it would be cost prohibitive even if you could find all the parts.

Here is a link to the build thread, not as detailed as Dr. Derbi's posts (http://www.bayareatwostroke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3817)

We also had plans to try to complete the 24hr endurance race and built a KTM65 mini motard which better fit the 65-2t/125-4t rules, but couldn't get the team back together :o (http://www.bayareatwostroke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3886)

Here is a picture of our 50cc Aprilia RS50 passing the sole Derbi in the race that didn't finish due to mechanical issues.
http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj633/four_ari/8%20hour%20Aprilia%20Race/file-42.jpg

Kylipso
04-15-2016, 09:06 AM
Looks like a boatload of fun twinturba!
We were shooting for the 8 hr this year but we're crunching hard at work so not everyone was super jazzed about a Sunday race lol.
The field was pretty thin this year but there was an 85/150 class which I hope makes it to the 24hr. If thats the case I might go for something like a yz85 supermoto.

I was looking at a 77cc bbk on racing planet which seems to have disappeared recently, fun for the street but this would put us at a fairly significant disadvantage against others in the 85/150 class. I grabbed a stock cylinder and some other bits from Dcrac3r in the meantime.

If we decide to run the Aprilia we'll probably stick with the 50cc displacement and just have fun getting lapped for 24 hours lol

twinturba
04-18-2016, 12:34 AM
Looks like a boatload of fun twinturba!
We were shooting for the 8 hr this year but we're crunching hard at work so not everyone was super jazzed about a Sunday race lol.
The field was pretty thin this year but there was an 85/150 class which I hope makes it to the 24hr. If thats the case I might go for something like a yz85 supermoto.

I was looking at a 77cc bbk on racing planet which seems to have disappeared recently, fun for the street but this would put us at a fairly significant disadvantage against others in the 85/150 class. I grabbed a stock cylinder and some other bits from Dcrac3r in the meantime.

If we decide to run the Aprilia we'll probably stick with the 50cc displacement and just have fun getting lapped for 24 hours lol

The stock Aprilia 50cc is super reliable and faster than any other 50cc that shows up for the endurance races if you set it up right! Some of the most fun laps I had during the 8 hr were passing the NSR's:D

Just remember that just finishing an endurance race is an achievement in itself! Especially a 24hr!

Kylipso
04-19-2016, 11:44 PM
Anyone know if this kit has the gaskets I need for the 50cc Athena top end?
http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1136

Kylipso
04-27-2016, 10:11 PM
Never mind, the Athena website was down when I posted that.
Found the fun bits that I need :P

Kylipso
06-15-2016, 12:36 AM
Patient's heart on the table for rebuilding:

Looking a little empty:

Donor patient on deck:

Kylipso
07-02-2016, 04:12 PM
I got the custom sprocket ordered up from Rebel Gears (Thanks Mattology)
Sprocket Specialists wouldn't even touch the job and the guys they referred me to were saying it would be a few months. Rebel Gears were amazing to deal with.

Also chatted with Trail Tech on their vapor dash for revs, speedo, timing, and water temp. Not too shabby at about $120

With the nice long weekend I should have the engine mounts mocked up and ready to weld.

twinturba
07-02-2016, 09:24 PM
I got the custom sprocket ordered up from Rebel Gears (Thanks Mattology)
Sprocket Specialists wouldn't even touch the job and the guys they referred me to were saying it would be a few months. Rebel Gears were amazing to deal with.

Also chatted with Trail Tech on their vapor dash for revs, speedo, timing, and water temp. Not too shabby at about $120

With the nice long weekend I should have the engine mounts mocked up and ready to weld.

What kind of sprockets are you ordering? Sprocket Specialist is where we used get ours from so it's sad to hear they don't make them for our bikes anymore. Can't wait to see the ones you ordered!

We have used the trail tech on a few bikes and haven't been to happy with them. Our endurance build utilized a Mychron 3 which worked flawlessly.

Kylipso
07-02-2016, 10:56 PM
Was trying to get the front yz sprocket in a 420 or the rear aprilia in a 428.
Supposedly they had never done either but that's cool I know those guys do good work. I used to work at a shop that ordered from them all the time.

What haven't you been a fan of on the trail techs twinturba?

twinturba
07-02-2016, 11:16 PM
Was trying to get the front yz sprocket in a 420 or the rear aprilia in a 428.
Supposedly they had never done either but that's cool I know those guys do good work. I used to work at a shop that ordered from them all the time.

What haven't you been a fan of on the trail techs twinturba?

I helped a former Bats member install one on a Cagiva Mito 125 years ago and it wouldn't work reliably and it seemed there was always a very noticeable lag on the RPM display and temp would jump around instead of gradually going up and down. A fellow co-founder of Bats bought that Mito and tried unsuccessfully to get it working reliably as well. At the same time my friend ordered one for the Mito I ordered one for my own "super duper motard" and also could never get it working correctly. The biggest issue on the Derbi was that even with the bracket and isolators bought from Trail Tech, vibrations kept affecting its performance. I went all out and purchased the dash surround with dummy lights as well which worked fine since they just connected to the factory wiring. Maybe they have improved the product over the years?

Long story short, I just wasn't happy with the quality and performance of the Vapor from our experiences at BATS. The MyChron 3 on the other hand was way better built and purchased used for around the same price as the Vapor.

Kylipso
07-05-2016, 05:59 PM
I'll see if I can source a used Mychron plus 3 (for the speedo function)

I gutted the rest of the bike and got the yz85 engine somewhat aligned. Still triple checking location and alignment.

Also holy shit, Rebel Gears got me the sprocket in like 5 days with a weekend and the 4th in there.

Kylipso
08-14-2016, 12:23 PM

Interesting fact about a yz85 swap. The stock pipe will not fit without beating it into a gnarled noodle which I wasn't happy with at all.

Kylipso
08-23-2016, 01:01 PM

Made a significant amount of progress.

Engine is fully mounted.
Rad and coolant lines are on.
Carb set up with a JD jetting kit.
Clutch and Throttle lines set up.

I just need to make a couple more brackets for the exhaust, grab the bodywork from airtech, and finish wiring in the trail tech.
I ended up going with the trail tech as I couldn't find what I wanted in the Mychron selection floating about.

Kylipso
08-23-2016, 04:48 PM
Also if anyone wants to donate to CHOC Children's which is our charity for the race, you can do so below:
https://app.mobilecause.com/vf/CHOC/CollinGilbert

We surpassed the mandatory $250 and are shooting for as much as we can raise before the race!

mattology
08-25-2016, 04:32 PM
trail techs are absolute garbage for our application

sorry to hear that

Kylipso
09-23-2016, 11:10 AM
I've been pretty terrible at updating this thread since I wrench late at night after the kiddo is sleeping but the race is this weekend and I'm super pumped.

Since most of us riding this weekend work at Blizzard we went with a Soldier 76 theme from Overwatch.

Kylipso
09-26-2016, 11:43 AM
We took first in our class! (which consisted of 1 team)
15/16 overall. The Groms were just dominating on the tight track but we could pass them like they were standing still on the straights.

4 people is not nearly enough for a 24 hour race. All our team was dead 9 hours in and we had to take a break. We ended up finishing the race with about 10-12 hours of track time so we're bringing more friends next time.

11/10 will be doing this again, probably on a different bike though :)

mattology
09-26-2016, 01:02 PM
did you compete with mt75's on the bike? why were groms beating you?

Kylipso
09-26-2016, 01:31 PM
yeah we were running on the mt75s, and stock suspension which wasn't so bad for most of our riders. Far from great but manageable.

We couldn't lay the power down until we were close to upright which hurt a lot and we were shifting something around 9-10 times per lap vs the groms who could do it in about 4-5.

Also with how squat the groms were they could get great lean angles comfortably which helped them stay out much longer than we could.

Overall I'd say if we dumped some cash into the suspension and got some slicks we would have done a fair amount better but it was fun as hell and we're already signing up for next year.

mattology
09-27-2016, 01:20 PM
I would love to participate!!! how much and when is it

Kylipso
09-27-2016, 01:50 PM
Depending on when you sign up it's anywhere from $120-240.
They haven't opened the registration quite yet but it looks like September 2nd and 3rd next year.

Will definitely keep you updated if you're looking for a team to join :)
I would say a minimum of 6 riders is necessary, 8 would be better. Pit crew would also be a huge help.

The reg schedule from this last race is here:
https://m1-grandprix.com/race/endurance/m1gp24

Kylipso
02-14-2017, 01:51 AM
Whew it's been a while since I got my hands dirty on the bike. Since the next 24 hour isn't until September 9th-10th I'm going to put the Rs85 on street duty.
Trying to figure out a solution for the headlight. Thinking total loss led system of some sort but my experience in this field is pretty limited.
The blinkers and tail can be run from the stock battery but I doubt I could run the headlights for any appreciable amount of time.

The bike would probably only run for about an hour at any given time though.

varesecrazy
03-18-2017, 06:23 AM
Whew it's been a while since I got my hands dirty on the bike. Since the next 24 hour isn't until September 9th-10th I'm going to put the Rs85 on street duty.
Trying to figure out a solution for the headlight. Thinking total loss led system of some sort but my experience in this field is pretty limited.
The blinkers and tail can be run from the stock battery but I doubt I could run the headlights for any appreciable amount of time.

The bike would probably only run for about an hour at any given time though.

I suspect you've now got something figured out,
but it's worthwhile looking at the 85's stator.. if there is a spare post you have the option of a coil to power a headlight,

Common upgrade for the 125 MX huskies.

mattology
03-20-2017, 07:20 AM
do you still need more team members?

Kylipso
03-21-2017, 07:48 AM
I ended up throwing the stock bits back on and I'm going to find some led bulbs for the headlights since this will almost never be on the street and will only be used very locally.
I just need to figure out how to get the headlights to always be on. Seems easy enough haha.

I would go for the stator but it's not currently worth the work since it'll be back on track duty soon enough.

@mattology we are still looking for more people but we're not 100% sure it'll be on the Aprilia this year. I'm grabbing some tires from treats, a rear shock, and the front fork kit to try and get the bike in a more comfortable state on the super tight track.

twinturba
04-20-2017, 12:06 PM
Congrats on Finishing the Race! Quite the accomplishment!

Welcome to the "I have actually finished an endurance race and know what I'm talking about!" Club

FYI, I was researching dirtbike motor installs a few years back and remember that they make lighting coils for most of the 85's besides the Honda that would make hooking up lights pretty easy for street use. Search YZ85 Lighting coil

Kylipso
04-21-2017, 11:33 PM
Before I could start wiring my buddy hit me up about the upcoming 8 hour race.
I'm not sure we can make it but it kicked me into action on working on the bike.

Turns out that with a little creativity the entire YZ85 exhaust system fits undertail.

Dextroyer
08-07-2019, 12:45 AM
I am digging up an old thread, but this is rad!

Maybe Matt will understand how Groms compete on tight tracks now that he has had a go on mine!

Hope you kept this beast going and thrash it from time to time!

Kylipso
08-11-2019, 11:13 PM
I've still got this little beast. It's up next for an overhaul and some changes. The suspension wasn't dialed in at all for us so we we're fighting the bike all the way around the track.
I also pulled the engine apart and noticed it was about to eat a piston sooooo I have that engine in bits and I bought another yz85 to possibly pull another engine.

We've been running a crf50 and a kx65 on the kart tracks with much better success.

The rs50 is up next on my rebuild list though.
I started a youtube channel for all my garage stuff and I'll definitely start updating the thread when I get back to the Aprilia.

If you want to check out everything else I'm doing you can find me here :D
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCskiDuNNFJqBCrczum8czOQ/videos